Marner's Next Contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

When does Marner sign?

• Total voters

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Marner is an all situation player. PK PP 5v5. Great passer, added a sweet shot this year. Can drive his own line too. Matthews is our 1C but there is definitely an argument that Marner is just as important to the team and possibly more.

We will pay what they want unfortunately......I just hope they've learned that team success and being able to surround themselves with better players means not taking us to the cleaners.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Fwiw, the alleged willingness to sign 8x 8.5-9M was never fact. It was a rumour, and one that both did and didn’t make sense. There was also a contradictory rumour that Marner wanted to bet on himself and play out the season with JT (who everyone knew he’d play with) and negotiate from there. Ultimately we have no idea which way this actually went.

Either way, it’s the past now. Marner is full marks for the deal he signed. He and Matthews will make big bucks again, and will be both be fully worth it. They are the two best and most important players this club has had during this era and it’s not even close.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Fwiw, the alleged willingness to sign 8x 8.5-9M was never fact. It was a rumour, and one that both did and didn’t make sense. There was also a contradictory rumour that Marner wanted to bet on himself and play out the season with JT (who everyone knew he’d play with) and negotiate from there. Ultimately we have no idea which way this actually went.

Either way, it’s the past now. Marner is full marks for the deal he signed. He and Matthews will make big bucks again, and will be both be fully worth it. They are the two best and most important players this club has had during this era and it’s not even close.
Fact to some, rumour to others.
Obviously, people can believe what they like.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
A 1.5 million raise is not a massive raise. He will likely fall in the 11.5-12.5 range. Depending on multiple factors.
Seems about right unless he raises his game even more in the next 2 years (closer to 120 pts than 100 pts).
I doubt he hits that but as a fan, he has even surprised me at his current output.

Reactions: Sypher04

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Let's see what he does in the playoffs this year, He's been less than spectacular in previous years and that's being kind
Yeah every time I see someone say Marner's earned his contract I think back to some of those playoffs and think ... not really.

Marner is an all situation player. PK PP 5v5. Great passer, added a sweet shot this year. Can drive his own line too. Matthews is our 1C but there is definitely an argument that Marner is just as important to the team and possibly more.

We will pay what they want unfortunately......I just hope they've learned that team success and being able to surround themselves with better players means not taking us to the cleaners.
It's hard to imagine them not knowing this by now, so the question becomes do they care? Are they happy with making a mere 150 million or whatever during their career and want to win some cups? Or do they care less about cups and more about adding a few more millions to their bank accounts?

Whether we win the cup or not with these guys could depend on the answer to that question, we'll find out soon enough.

I agree that they're the best and it's not close but if they insist on squeezing every last dollar they can out of us, at that point the question of whether they're worth it or not becomes murky, at least for me it does. As much fun as it is to watch them do their thing, it's even more fun to have a team that goes deep in the playoffs. There's been far too little of that IMHO over the last 50+ years, that's my priority by far and if M&M both are out to make the max then there comes a point where we might be better off without one of them.

Reactions: ShaneFalco

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
I might be wrong, but there was no other reason to align Marner, Matthew and Nylander NMCs unless they intend to negotiate as a group.

This way, you are risking losing all 3 while getting back next to nothing.

It will cost Leafs 38-40M to get them all signed. We sign them all or likely none of them.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Let's see what he does in the playoffs this year, He's been less than spectacular in previous years and that's being kind
If he sucks and they go out in round 1 again you have to decide whether his game will ever translate to the playoffs. He is currently looking like McDavid lite in that he is noticeable ever shift but if he can't get it done in the playoffs and the goal is to win in the playoffs, I'd listen to serious offers for anybody.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
6x10.893 + 8x11.25 = $155.36+m with huge money up front. You've shown how much money means to you, now show how much winning trumps money because you're emotions on the ice show you want to win.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
So Nylander and Matthews are this summer and Marner next Summer?
Marner and tavares next summer yeah

That 24/25 will be interesting if we keep both matthews and nylander. 22 million for marner and tavares.. 12 plus for matthews and 10 plus for nylander. 7.5 for reilly and liljegrens raise too. Jarnkrok and mccabe is 4 million.

So basically 60ish for those 8 players.

Reactions: ACC1224

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
The clock ticks this summer for Nylander and Matthews for a close next summer. Both Marner and Matthews have NMC and Nylander has a M-NMC sometime mid-July

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
yup, well Bunting and Samsonov as the 2 big ones this summer as UFAS but we can extend Matthews and Nylander starting July 1st and then the following year the same with Marner and Tavares
fun times.

Marner and tavares next summer yeah

That 24/25 will be interesting if we keep both matthews and nylander. 22 million for marner and tavares.. 12 plus for matthews and 10 plus for nylander. 7.5 for reilly and liljegrens raise too. Jarnkrok and mccabe is 4 million.

So basically 60ish for those 8 players.
Tavares will make less atleast but we will see what happens. Nylander will want to get paid for sure. Matthews too. as much as it makes me sad to say it but likely only room for one

lipstickjunkie

Jan 5, 2017
Matthews 12.5
Marner 12
Willy 10

It'll be tight for a year but we'll be OK when JT is told to take 5 or GTFO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad