Marner's Next Contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

When does Marner sign?

• Total voters

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
yup, well Bunting and Samsonov as the 2 big ones this summer as UFAS but we can extend Matthews and Nylander starting July 1st and then the following year the same with Marner and Tavares
fun times.

Tavares will make less atleast but we will see what happens. Nylander will want to get paid for sure. Matthews too. as much as it makes me sad to say it but likely only room for one
I was mainly speaking that specific season will be super tight

Tavares i could see at half or less to be honest.. but that season we will need 3 or 4 buntings

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
My post was made tongue in cheek but still, IMO he should have got 9-9.5 based on comparables last time but his agent asked for a lot more, even more than he eventually settled for and IIRC, that was only after the ask was leaked to the media prompting outrage from Leaf fans. And let's not forget that he only signed for 6 years at that price, those negotiations were as hardball as it gets. So if he's worth say 12M today, who's to stop his agent from asking for 13.8 or WE because the cap's maybe going up and so on? Another question is Marner's ego - how big a factor will that be? If his ego becomes a part of this then whatever Matthews signs for becomes very relevant - maybe he'd be willing to take a fair deal in principle but his ego won't allow him to take X dollars less than Matthews, we'll see. How this shakes out in the end is anyone's guess.

I guess it all comes down to attitude. With UFA status approaching, he can ask for the moon so does he let his agent negotiate for whatever he can get or sign for a reasonable price the way Rielly did?
Matthews set the bar

Offering Marner between 8-9 depending on who you ask, and then dropping 11 and change onto Matthews lap less than a month later, was in my mind a bit of an insult to a guy who was arguably depending on the week or the month the Leafs best player, or at least the most important. Not a good look for Dubas imo.

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
These guys need to be reasonable with their salary if they want any real run at the cup.

If it's going to be like last time and both (Marner, Matthews) ask for the most they can get, then what the hell do they expect the rest of the line up to look like.

These kids are already multi millionaires at this point.

If you guys don't think 11m a year isn't already "getting the bag" than I don't want to know what is.

You play hard to prove what you deserve, but they got a huge salary before proving anything... Great individual stats and regular season records but 0 play off pedigree and some people still want them to "get the bag" again?

Come on.

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
caps only going up 1m from what I understand too. wonder if we can even extend Bunting
Have to let Bunting walk to be honest.

I don't think it's a bad thing. It will make real room for Knies and Robertson and a Marlie or 2 next season with Bunting and kerfoot gone.

My guess is we are hoping our internal prospects can finally take the next step with more opportunity (2 full time LW gone).

The next hidden gem needs to be a Marlie with a decent look (Knies, Robertson, Steeves, Abruzezzi(sp?), McMann.

Use the extra money to sign O'Reilly and Accarai, Schenn, And start next season with the new found gritty ingredients added to the line up.

Also try to sign Kampf but if he's not willing to make it work, he goes too.

All depends on how much more of the pie the stars are going to fight for, and how far Dubas is willing to bend.

It's already been clear that their agents are going to give him a hard time. The players are the ones that need to step it up.

I

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
caps only going up 1m from what I understand too. wonder if we can even extend Bunting
I'm not sure if it is settled. Debt is projected to be paid early next year. A strong showing by some big market teams in the playoffs will move that right up. Ironic because playoff success affects whether some will be on this team in more than one way.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Have to let Bunting walk to be honest.

I don't think it's a bad thing. It will make real room for Knies and Robertson and a Marlie or 2 next season with Bunting and kerfoot gone.

My guess is we are hoping our internal prospects can finally take the next step with more opportunity (2 full time LW gone).

The next hidden gem needs to be a Marlie with a decent look (Knies, Robertson, Steeves, Abruzezzi(sp?), McMann.

Use the extra money to sign O'Reilly and Accarai, Schenn, And start next season with the new found gritty ingredients added to the line up.

Also try to sign Kampf but if he's not willing to make it work, he goes too.

All depends on how much more of the pie the stars are going to fight for, and how far Dubas is willing to bend.

It's already been clear that their agents are going to give him a hard time. The players are the ones that need to step it up.

I
Well said

Ideally mid term i am hoping

Steeves replaces bunting
Holmberg replaces kerfoot
Mcmann where engvall was, now i guess that is ZAR in theory

I agree signing acciari but term is debateable.

I conaider knies a wildcard and i am not factoring in robertson. If i could i would use robertson as a chip if he can build himself up in conjunction with the names above showing something

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
Well said

Ideally mid term i am hoping

Steeves replaces bunting
Holmberg replaces kerfoot
Mcmann where engvall was, now i guess that is ZAR in theory

I agree signing acciari but term is debateable.

I conaider knies a wildcard and i am not factoring in robertson. If i could i would use robertson as a chip if he can build himself up in conjunction with the names above showing something
I actually forgot about Holmberg! . Hes a perfect Kampf replacement.

We let Bunting, kerfoot, Kampf walk or agree to take less to stay with the team.

Steeves, Holmberg, McMann, Robertson, Abruzezzi all need longer looks next season. Knies looks like he might just jump ahead of everyone with his toolset and recent play, but if not he reunites with his old American linemate Abruzezzi and Plays top minutes again on the Marlies.

Defense looks to be pretty solid next season too.

IMO DUBAS has done a fine job setting himself up for these scenarios.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I actually forgot about Holmberg! . Hes a perfect Kampf replacement.

We let Bunting, kerfoot, Kampf walk or agree to take less to stay with the team.

Steeves, Holmberg, McMann, Robertson, Abruzezzi all need longer looks next season. Knies looks like he might just jump ahead of everyone with his toolset and recent play, but if not he reunites with his old American linemate Abruzezzi and Plays top minutes again on the Marlies.

Defense looks to be pretty solid next season too.

IMO DUBAS has done a fine job setting himself up for these scenarios.
See if you forgot about him he's already replacing kerfoot as forgettable;-)

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Matthews 12.5
Marner 12
Willy 10

It'll be tight for a year but we'll be OK when JT is told to take 5 or GTFO
I'd tell them we have budgeted 32m for the 3 of you. Sign if you want to keep the band together or thank you for your services and now all 3 of you can GTFO.

I doubt JT wants to move now that he has kids or cares as much about money. I'd offer him 5mx3 max or he can move his family.

Last edited:
Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'd tell them we have budgeted 32m for the 3 of you. Sign if you want to keep the band together or thank you for your services and now all 3 of you can GTFO.

I doubt JT wants to move now that he has kids or cares as much about money. I'd offer him 5mx3 max or he can move his family.
The trio makes a little over $29.5 mil now, so + $2.5 mil combined more seems unrealistic. IMO

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

Easy decision if it were me. I'd gtfo. They will thrive and the Leafs will dive. Those 3 represent the difference between a top 5 team and a top 25 team. Don't over estimate what the rest of the team contributes outside the umbrella of these 3.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Easy decision if it were me. I'd gtfo. They will thrive and the Leafs will dive. Those 3 represent the difference between a top 5 team and a top 25 team. Don't over estimate what the rest of the team contributes outside the umbrella of these 3.
I realize that but 32m split between the 3 front loaded is reasonable. A 7th straight round 1 is proof enough for me the three can't get it done without a better supporting cast.

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
Shoot, he's making almost that much now. If he was worth almost 11M last time around, he should be worth a lot more now, no? 1st team all-star, smartest player in hockey history and kills penalties to boot, I figure discussions start in the 13-14M range. ;)
I think the Leafs are going to re-up Marner & Willie. I can see them moving Matthews. They cannot continue the 3 headed monster with 3 (Matthews, Marner, Nylander) all in the 13 to 15 million range on new deals. Something has to give or be restructured. Matthew would get the biggest return, especially to a struggling USA market.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
3x$13 Million.

That puts him up for free agency again before he hits 30 years old and then he signs his last big contract for 8 years.

Yall are crazy

Dec 11, 2022
These guys need to be reasonable with their salary if they want any real run at the cup.

If it's going to be like last time and both (Marner, Matthews) ask for the most they can get, then what the hell do they expect the rest of the line up to look like.

These kids are already multi millionaires at this point.

If you guys don't think 11m a year isn't already "getting the bag" than I don't want to know what is.

You play hard to prove what you deserve, but they got a huge salary before proving anything... Great individual stats and regular season records but 0 play off pedigree and some people still want them to "get the bag" again?

Come on.
They'll most likely Not go for their worth since they got their money, like how mackinnon went for his worth and literally is the highest paid player in the game and no one crucified him for it

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think the Leafs are going to re-up Marner & Willie. I can see them moving Matthews. They cannot continue the 3 headed monster with 3 (Matthews, Marner, Nylander) all in the 13 to 15 million range on new deals. Something has to give or be restructured. Matthew would get the biggest return, especially to a struggling USA market.
Nylander isn’t in the same range as the other two.

Reactions: Ciao

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad