Marner's Next Contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

When does Marner sign?

• Total voters

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
When we get ours, I dunno. Maybe it's Sammy or Woll or Murray?

Shek and Vas both have around the same SV% as Sammy this season, trading Marner for either one seems like a really bad idea.
Those two are also proven winner in playoffs and capable of stealing a series, esp Vas who can steal a playoffs. Put it this way, if we have Vas and TB have our goalies. I would not worry about TB at all. If we had Vas over the past 6 yrs, I think we probably won a Cup or two by now.

I hope Sammy, Woll or Murray can be our guy, bro.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
The comparables were never really better on the powerplay. Simply better at being on teams that getting more powerplays and being deployed appropriately by the coach (on the #1 unit and for time befitting star players)

That said, I’d say that’s still the case, at least on the first part anyway.

I think per 60 numbers were and still are the best way to measure effectiveness of players on the powerplay, given the disparity in opportunity
So Marner deserves a higher aav that MacKinnon?

You can't just ignore McDavid being the best PP player maybe ever lol.
Well, we sure f***ing could on the leaf core post elc contracts...

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Those two are also proven winner in playoffs and capable of stealing a series, esp Vas who can steal a playoffs. Put it this way, if we have Vas and TB have our goalies. I would not worry about TB at all. If we had Vas over the past 6 yrs, I think we probably won a Cup or two by now.

I hope Sammy, Woll or Murray can be our guy, bro.
Yeah but there's no guarantee how they will perform from year to year whereas Marner is close to money in the bank for many years to come.

If we had Vas for the last 6 years, maybe we have a cup by now, maybe not though. Teams much weaker without Marner, and we might be cursed in which case Vasi can't help us either. ;)

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
If he has a lackluster playoff and they lose again it's probably time to move on from Mitch tbh.
You and your marner agenda
You should stay out of marner threads
Your bias is making you look like a fool
You talk as though its marners fault we haven’t won a round. All of the big four have underperformed at one time or another.

Marner will be a leaf for life You shouldn’t pick that hill to die on.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Yeah but there's no guarantee how they will perform from year to year whereas Marner is close to money in the bank for many years to come.

If we had Vas for the last 6 years, maybe we have a cup by now, maybe not though. Teams much weaker without Marner, and we might be cursed in which case Vasi can't help us either. ;)
Just need Sammy, Murray or Woll to pull a Binnington or Crawford this playoffs.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
You and your marner agenda
You should stay out of marner threads
Your bias is making you look like a fool
You talk as though its marners fault we haven’t won a round. All of the big four have underperformed at one time or another.

Marner will be a leaf for life You shouldn’t pick that hill to die on.

Wrong.

Marner is not as good as Matthews who becomes priority to sign
You can't move on from JT because of the contract
Nylander is also a good winger but not as costly and scores more goals

That simply leaves Marner out of the loop if this team can not win this year. There simply is no other choice anymore, unless you think they can run the same failed 1st round exit model with 50% of the cap in 4 players forever.

I think that you are demonstrating a hypersensitivity regarding all things Marner. The points above are facts by the way, it's not really opinion though at this point you will probably argue Marner is better than the Rocket man himself.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
Wrong.

Marner is not as good as Matthews who becomes priority to sign
You can't move on from JT because of the contract
Nylander is also a good winger but not as costly and scores more goals

That simply leaves Marner out of the loop if this team can not win this year. There simply is no other choice anymore, unless you think they can run the same failed 1st round exit model with 50% of the cap in 4 players forever.

I think that you are demonstrating a hypersensitivity regarding all things Marner. The points above are facts by the way, it's not really opinion though at this point you will probably argue Marner is better than the Rocket man himself.
I’ll make a bet with you— oh wait you never honour your bets.

If any of the big four gets traded it will be nylander. Will want 10 million on his next contract, doesn’t know how to play defense, and disappears for far too many games.

Lose the agenda it’s not a good look

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Saying leaf comparables were better on the PP was belittled and mocked during the last contract negotiation.

So I own't accept... I won't ACCEPT... any change of position. Absoluely not.

I argued through and f***ing through that leaf comparables being way better at the PP was something to be considered in contract negotiations.

How dare you.. how DARE you... backpedal on that.

Marner's p/60 and a/60 (what you used to rationalize Marners unprecedented dramatic overpayment in the past) is McDavid tier ever since Marner signed his post elc contract. BETTER in some cases.
Marner isn't overpaid. You peddle this shit against a career 90 pt player. You just can't walk this dumb hot take back despite the numerous records and performances he has had. He is among the top players in the NHL consistently. You even have a post contract performance base line to compare and even in retrospect, can't make the case. Why don't you just give up the flat earther shit?

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Again, the PP was never ignored for the Leaf's post-ELC contracts. It was always factored in.
McDavid wasn't that caliber of PP player back then.
The comparables against McDavid is pretty curious. It was reported that McDavid could have taken 15MM per year and decided to give 2.5MM back. A totally inconvenient truth because even the eye test would then support that that salaried difference with any leaf player. This is where all the naysaying dumb dumb comments fall completely apart.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The comparables against McDavid is pretty curious. It was reported that McDavid could have taken 15MM per year and decided to give 2.5MM back. A totally inconvenient truth because even the eye test would then support that that salaried difference with any leaf player. This is where all the naysaying dumb dumb comments fall completely apart.
I thought he gave 250k after agreeing to his deal. Definitely never heard anything in the millions.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Reactions: ToneDog

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I thought he gave 250k after agreeing to his deal. Definitely never heard anything in the millions.
He probably could have pushed for a 15m max contract if he really wanted, but what actually ended up happening was he negotiated a 13.25m contract worth 17.67% of the cap, and he shaved off 1%/750k post-negotiation to bring it down to 12.5m (16.67%).

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Ponder this
Ok but what is your point ?? Do you think based on that Marner deserves more than McDavid's 12.5 or because he is taking less he is giving the Leafs a discount. If that is the case every player is.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Ok but what is your point ?? Do you think based on that Marner deserves more than McDavid's 12.5 or because he is taking less he is giving the Leafs a discount. If that is the case every player is.
I think his point is that Marner is god's gift to hockey and specifically the Maple Leafs, everything he does is awesome, he's the smartest player ever and even if he got a max contract, he'd still be underpaid.

That's just paraphrasing from all his posts I've read but I think I pretty much got the essence of it. Me, all I care about is the team and as long as we're setting records for playoff futility, I'm sick of hearing about how great Marner is. Not just Marner either, same goes for all the players.

Win!

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
I'm saying that everyone compares McDavid at the salary he agreed to, not what he deserved.

Reactions: ToneDog

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I'm saying that everyone compares McDavid at the salary he agreed to, not what he deserved.

The reality is this...

-The economy is tanking and if management can't see that and factor it in, they are incompetent.
-They did not correctly forecast economic risk prior to 2020 either (would happen CV19 or not)
-McDavid and Marner are in a different stratosphere as players and by that I mean 25-33% less valuable.
-Marner was overpaid to start with, now what is he worth to you? 14million I think you said? Insanity.
-Matthews was not overpaid, he was under termed.
-JT was overpaid
-Nylander was maybe considered overpaid 500k at the time but in hindsight he wasn't overpaid at all.

Marner should essentially be on a wage freeze to go forward with this team. Nylander would get a raise to about 9million at the max and Matthews assuming he has a slight injury and will return to form will get a raise and hopefully the C to complement. JT will be pretty old and cost a lot less next time around.

That's reality but I see of people in these threads trying to narrative build for these players to get large pay raises. If there are working brains at MLSE, that won't happen.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
As long as Dubas remains Leafs GM then Marner will continue to convince him, and only him, that his teammate Auston Matthews is the only comparable that matters in terms of contract, just like he did on his current deal.
Marner got less than Matthews on his current deal, had many comparables other than just Matthews, and is consistent with the history of post-ELC contracts.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
As long as Dubas remains Leafs GM then Marner will continue to convince him, and only him, that his teammate Auston Matthews is the only comparable that matters in terms of contract, just like he did on his current deal.
Not the only comparable but certainly the primary one.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Marner got less than Matthews on his current deal, had many comparables other than just Matthews, and is consistent with the history of post-ELC contracts.

Only one comparable matters to Marner in my eyes... Kucherov is signed to 26/27 season and is get this, a way better player. You have no choice but freeze Marners salary in light of this.

NIKITA KUCHEROV #86​

Alternate Captain​

Right Wing​

Cap Hit: $9,500,000

MITCHELL MARNER #16​

Alternate Captain​

Right Wing​

Cap Hit: $10,903,000

Most important point. If you don't want to acknowledge that teams that are able to get better deals on players can put a better product on the ice and beat you, well. Just keep doing what we are doing and losing in the first or second round until everyone is too old. Reality is harsh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad