Player Discussion Marner

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The difference is really just the PK time.

The difference in ES among Mitch, Matty, and Willy is only 30 second a game, and PP time is 3 seconds.
I'm wondering if Marner on the PK is even a good idea. I mean I love watching him on the PK, he's very good at it and a lot of fun to watch. On the other hand, I've always questioned the wisdom of playing him so many minutes. He fades away after 4 playoff games and maybe his game just isn't suited for playoff hockey once teams settle in to playoff hockey but who knows, maybe if he was better rested he'd do better? Considering the pattern of him fading is so well established, seems like it's worth a try.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
How will his next contract turn out? I predict 14M+.
Too high, IMO.
He'll get slightly more than Nylander, hopefully under 12.
The hierarchy of the team is Matthews, Marner, Nylander and that's how they'll be paid unless of course they choose to let him walk, which doesn't seem likely.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
This to me is like the whole "he's well like by his teammates" nonsense. Who cares?

I don't care if a player is trusted or well liked. What I care about above everything else, is helping us win games in the playoffs.

What would you rather have, a player who is well liked and trusted, or a player who brings it in the playoffs? Oh that's right, you're the guy who values regular season over playoffs right? If that's the case then never mind. Regular season Marner has always been quite good, no complaints at all from me.

I sometimes do, mostly to check for spelling mistakes, grammar errors etc., why do you ask? If you have something to say, go ahead and say it. We're only discussing hockey here, no need to be afraid.
Why not give your best player the most minutes? If he is a detriment to his line and team, why play him so much? You guys should get in touch with Berube and point out his mistake

Reactions: francis246

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
Why not give your best player the most minutes? If he is a detriment to his line and team, why play him so much? You guys should get in touch with Berube and point out his mistake
This is some next level gaslighting right here.

IGNORE YOUR EYES AND THE BOX SCORE.

LOOK AT THE MINUTES PLAYED!!!!!!!

*ignore Nylander and Matthews injury or the fact Nylander and Matthews don't really PK.

LALLALALALALA the T-34 tanks don't exist if I can't see them.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I wondered why the Tampa players didnt just decide to take away his time and space last night? given that all you have to do to stop Marner is take away his time and space I would have expected the opposition to simply take away his time and space, last night
Tampa didn't seem like they wanted to put the effort in.
They looked like our Leafs have looked many nights in the past.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
This is some next level gaslighting right here.

IGNORE YOUR EYES AND THE BOX SCORE.

LOOK AT THE MINUTES PLAYED!!!!!!!

*ignore Nylander and Matthews injury or the fact Nylander and Matthews don't really PK.

LALLALALALALA the T-34 tanks don't exist if I can't see them.
So the guy can do both something nobody else can on this team

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Why not give your best player the most minutes?
Because Matthews on the PK seems less than ideal.
If he is a detriment to his line and team, why play him so much?
Detriment? Who said he was a detriment? I know it wasn't me so why are you quoting me to spew this nonsense? Isn't it a bit early in the day to be this impaired?
You guys should get in touch with Berube and point out his mistake
Yeah sure, give me his number and I'll give him a call. Seriously though, the playoffs don't start until April so why not give him some time to figure things out?

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Matthews has some crazy underlying numbers this year. Probably kicking himself blowing all those sweet setups.

5v5 among ALL players in the league:

Most shots on goal: Matthews
Most shot attempts on goal: Matthews
Most scoring chances: Matthews by a mile
Highest expected goals: Matthews by a mile

Shooting%: 9.09

Also, the Matthews and Marner combo havnt been on the ice for a 5v5 goal against so far this season.

M&M just need to keep playing the way they are playing and Im pretty sure Matthews shooting% will climb back closer to where it should be.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Another really strong game. Easily the most consistent forward this season, been really good if we’re allowed to be honest.
He played great...how many great reads he made and pass intercepted was outstanding. His play when we were two many down was fantastic. His coach even kept him on the ice to take the d zone faceofg while two man down knowing he was not going to win thr draw because he placed more value on his defensive play then any other player. That should tell everyone how important his coach views him.

If he gets more than Nylander, Willy should feel slapped in the face at this point.
Consider his face slapped it will happen because he is the better player always has been.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Production is goals + primary assists + secondary assists. Primary production is goals + primary assists. Goals are goals.

No, you're just trying to pretend that goals are worth more. Primary points are a thing. Goals are a thing. Primary assists are a thing.

Sure there is. More evidence than goals. It has all of your arguments about goals, as well as a better correlation with contracts.

He got less than his closest comparable, despite being better than him.

You are just deciding that primary production is a thing that is used without proof. Thats a hockey nerd thing. There is no definition on the NHL website. Primary production does not appear on stat lines. It’s silly

Goals are always and have been worth more the idea that you are trying to propose that the entire object of the game is worth less than an assist. It’s literally the title.

The assistant captain equal to the captain? Is a manager equal to the assistant manager.

If a team scores two unassisted goals and a team scores one with a primary assist. Is it tied?

It’s just silly.

Gaudreau- 6 years at 9.25 cap. 2 year ELC
28 goal 73 pt pace. Ok Marner gets a little more for 3 years and a 90 pt season. Sure.

Willy: 6 years at 8.75 cap.
they burned his first year but he played 3
21 goal 60pt pace

Pasta: 6 years at 8.9cap
3 years with injuries and yo yo
28 goals 59 pt pace.

3 easy recent comparables.
Marner had more games had a higher season he definitely performed better in his ELC.
He should have gotten paid more.

All the models said 11-12%
He got 13.4.
Rantanen was very close and got what the models said for Marner.

Over pay

He played great...how many great reads he made and pass intercepted was outstanding. His play when we were two many down was fantastic. His coach even kept him on the ice to take the d zone faceofg while two man down knowing he was not going to win thr draw because he placed more value on his defensive play then any other player. That should tell everyone how important his coach views him.

Consider his face slapped it will happen because he is the better player always has been.

Wasn’t better last year.
Willy has outscored him in goals and stayed healthier.

Marner was better and deserved more but if Willy outscores him 2 years in a row that will be tough to argue for his contract

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Strongly disagree. This team is hands down better with Nylander over Marner. You take Marner away and Matthews will find a way. That is a fact already proven. You take Nylander out You lose your 2nd line.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

You never did answer my question from yesterday, did you forget? I'll copy paste for you so that you don't have to go searching for it:

Ok Marner's a top 10 player you say, explain something to me then.

Regular season, Marner scores at roughly a 100 point pace.
First 4 games of the playoffs, Marner scores at roughly a 95 point pace.
The rest of the playoffs, Marner scores at roughly a 40 point pace.

How do you explain this?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad