Value of: Marner

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Even with an extension, UFA's to be don't have much more value than they would as a rental. Most comparables Leaf fans come up with are RFAs

Baberham Lincoln

Nov 5, 2019
Toronto
Probably an unpopular opinion on the main boards but if he's willing to waive and Leafs retain $2m, I think he's worth a top player back.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Even with an extension, UFA's to be don't have much more value than they would as a rental. Most comparables Leaf fans come up with are RFAs
"Traded with extension" is a tool fanbases use to convince themselves their rentals aren't rentals more than any real massive value adder in trades.

If Mitch Marner was willing to take the kind of extension that would add value, then he would be resigned and would not be traded at all.

Last edited:

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
He’s gotta go. We know we lose trade. I’d do it for a young NHL player and a first. You acquire the Dman through Marner’s cap savings.

As an example:
Wright
Sea 1rst

Sign Montour for 7.5-8

That is a solid return and reallocated our cap dollars where they need to go.
You're not getting Wright straight up for 1 year of Marner.

Reactions: Pablo El Perro

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
It's difficult to spend 10+ million on a player that doesn't show up for the playoffs. Hard to win like that. Not that I'd know anything about that as a King's fan.

Reactions: Demigod11

AvStock

Mar 15, 2022
It's difficult to spend 10+ million on a player that doesn't show up for the playoffs. Hard to win like that. Not that I'd know anything about that as a King's fan.
Didn’t you guys recently win 2 cups lol…

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I'm predicting: Marner for Askarov + what

I can't figure out the 'what' that would balance some value and some cap. But it's not as bonkers as it seems. Askarov wants to move, Leafs fans want Marner gone, and ROR has pushed management in NSH to look at Marner.

Something should be possible.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa

I can't figure out the 'what' that would balance some value and some cap. But it's not as bonkers as it seems. Askarov wants to move, Leafs fans want Marner gone, and ROR has pushed management in NSH to look at Marner.

With a 20 man roster, Nashville is presently less than one league minimum salary from the cap ceiling. There would have to be heroic cap solutions to try to add a 10.9 million dollar body to that roster.

Reactions: banks

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Nashville isnt trading askarovr for a 1 yr rental. He have to agree to an extension.

If no ext then Toronto will hate the return 1st+ high salary+ secondary prospect

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
With a 20 man roster, Nashville is presently less than one league minimum salary from the cap ceiling. There would have to be heroic cap solutions to try to add a 10.9 million dollar body to that roster.
True. It's not easy. But Toronto could theoretically retain since the Marner contract is on it's last year.

Nashville isnt trading askarovr for a 1 yr rental. He have to agree to an extension.

If no ext then Toronto will hate the return 1st+ high salary+ secondary prospect
I don't think Askarov's value is so high that Nashville would turn down a trade for Marner. Even with only one year left, he's got more value than Askarov.

I just think it's rare to have multiple rumours pointing to a deal like this. Askarov's agent, Marner speculation, and the ROR endorsement. But the cap space is the biggest struggle since NSH spent so much in free agency. The chance may have come and gone.

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
I think his value depends on whether he comes with an extension or not

But most likely your looking at a 1st, Roster Player, Prospect kind of deal

I think the return would be simmiliar to what the Horvat return was 2 years ago maybe a little more

I just don't see a lot of teams having the room to take him with out the Leafs taking back Salary, which defeats the purpose of trading him

I think with an extension you could get a top 6 forward, Top 4 dman and a 1st

I always thought the Kraken would be the perfect trade Partner for them

something like

Wright, Borgen and a 1st for an extended Marner I think that would be his top value

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I think with an extension you could get a top 6 forward, Top 4 dman and a 1st

I always thought the Kraken would be the perfect trade Partner for them

something like

Wright, Borgen and a 1st for an extended Marner I think that would be his top value
I would not move Wright for 1 year of Marner. Additionally, we still are waiting on Beniers new contract after which we won't have enough cap space for Marner anyway.

Demigod11

Jun 28, 2021
What’s your definition of “not much”? Obviously with an extension it would get more of a return but for one full season you could get a a nice haul for Marner. Teams give up 1sts + good prospects for deadline rentals.
I don't see many teams competing for players who ghost the playoffs at the trade deadline.

What's the point of renting Marner? There will be way cheaper rentals that will be more productive than Marner for the playoff run they're rented for.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
An extended Marner would carry very high value but a 1 year rental at 11M is not getting much of a return.
That all depends on what contract he extends at. Marner at 8 x 8M? Sure, worth a lot. 8 x 12M+? Not so much. Most would agree that the latter scenario is the most likely.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

ellusive

Dec 21, 2009

Lol.. SALARY CAP

Reactions: johnnybbadd

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Hi, my name is Mitchell Marner and I play for the Toronto Maple Leafs. I love being a God in Toronto and I’m not going anywhere until I have to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad