Movies: Twister Sequel: Twisters

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I feel like that’s the type of movie that airs every few months on FX or one of those channels. It’s always on. Maybe some havent but that’s like our generation never hearing about the movie Jaws.

I get your overall point, but Jaws and Twister cannot be compared lol.

Not as a slight to Twister but props to the masterpiece that is Jaws.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Saw it on Saturday. It was alright. Story was quite predictable and a little corny, as to be expected I guess. Thought the action scenes were actually pretty good and some legitimately realistic takes on Tornadoes as well.

I'm a complete weather junkie with Tornadoes in particular being extremely interesting to me, so I appreciate that things were mostly in line with real world chasing and how some of those days have unfolded.

Nothing crazy about it, just a solid summer action movie to spend an afternoon/evening at. Would probably give it a 7/10.

Reactions: Jovavic

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
81M it’s first weekend. Think it will do fine.
I hope so, but it still has to make about half a billion at the box office to turn a profit and, as I said, Deadpool & Wolverine might take some of the wind out of it (sorry, I can't help it with the puns). Hopefully, you're right, though, because it sounds like the kind of movie that I want to see succeed.

Last edited:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

I hope so, but it still has to make about half a billion at the box office to turn a profit and, as I said, Deadpool & Wolverine might take some of the wind out of it (sorry, I can't help it with the puns). Hopefully, you're right, though, because it sounds like the kind of movie that I want to see succeed.
Why would it need 500M to turn a profit? Production/Advertising cost 200M. Needs another 120M to turn profit, which it will easily hit.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Why would it need 500M to turn a profit? Production/Advertising cost 200M. Needs another 120M to turn profit, which it will easily hit.
It cost $155-200M to make. Marketing is an added expense that, typically, amounts to half what the production budget was. That suggests that the total cost was at least $250M. Studios get back about half of the box office receipts (theaters keep the rest), so, for a movie to make money for a studio, its box office gross needs to be at least double what was spent to make and market it.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
It cost $155-200M to make. Marketing is an added expense that, typically, amounts to half what the production budget was. That suggests that the total cost was at least $250M. Studios get back about half of the box office receipts (theaters keep the rest), so, for a movie to make money for a studio, its box office gross needs to be at least double what was spent to make and market it.
They will still make a nice profit from all the streaming services that will no doubt run to get it.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Saw it on Saturday. It was alright. Story was quite predictable and a little corny, as to be expected I guess. Thought the action scenes were actually pretty good and some legitimately realistic takes on Tornadoes as well.

I'm a complete weather junkie with Tornadoes in particular being extremely interesting to me, so I appreciate that things were mostly in line with real world chasing and how some of those days have unfolded.

Nothing crazy about it, just a solid summer action movie to spend an afternoon/evening at. Would probably give it a 7/10.

As a fellow weather junkie I pretty much felt the same.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I honestly hate even guessing on crap like this because so much of this is Hollywood accounting. Like I'm sure this movie's budget was largely offset by significant tax breaks for location shooting. Additionally, marketing feels way more decentralized now than it used to be, so like... Max putting ads for it before shows and movies, and WB putting it as ads on their own properties is kind of self-dealing on the budget. IDK that always felt crazy inflated to me, especially nowadays with how much the market has condensed.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
I honestly hate even guessing on crap like this because so much of this is Hollywood accounting. Like I'm sure this movie's budget was largely offset by significant tax breaks for location shooting. Additionally, marketing feels way more decentralized now than it used to be, so like... Max putting ads for it before shows and movies, and WB putting it as ads on their own properties is kind of self-dealing on the budget. IDK that always felt crazy inflated to me, especially nowadays with how much the market has condensed.
Production incentives are built into the budgets and generally the net budget is what is referred to when speaking about them. Because many items in the budget don't qualify for those incentives (they are usually based on the tax receipts in the territory) maybe they get +/- 15% back.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I saw it this afternoon and enjoyed it. It felt a lot like the original, just with lesser known stars. There isn't much plot and it's mostly a rehash (with a welcome twist), but it was a good theater experience that reminded me of seeing the original on the big screen in 1996. That's all that I wanted, so it met my expectations. I was able to share it with my 12yo nephew, too, which was cool, and he enjoyed it. He hasn't seen the original and I can confirm that seeing it isn't necessary.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Crypto Guy

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It looks like it's coming to VOD on August 13, since it's unlikely to break even at the box office.
Cost of $155 mill (production and marketing), with worldwide box office receipts needing to be $390 mill to break even. So, basically it needed to generate 2.5 times the cost to break even. Darn.
Really need to properly cost out your production/marketing cost, as well as project accurately, otherwise, taking a bath.

Bowski

That's not how we do things in Pittsburgh
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
Cost of $155 mill (production and marketing), with worldwide box office receipts needing to be $390 mill to break even. So, basically it needed to generate 2.5 times the cost to break even. Darn.
Really need to properly cost out your production/marketing cost, as well as project accurately, otherwise, taking a bath.
Releasing one week away from D&W was also a bad idea.

The original doesn't have as much nostalgia juice as most think, like say Top Gun.
"Finger of god...", Bill Paxton in a starring role, Helen Hunt.
grimace-clint-eastwood.gif

Having said that (Curb), I went to see it on Friday with my folks, and we had fun.
Easy viewing summer disaster fodder.
It's not going to break any records like the desperate investor above suggests, but definitely worth a cheap watch.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If 2.5 times the cost from the global box is required to break even for any film, then you do need to watch the budget.

You do want to give yourself 2 weekends to make the bulk of your money so going up against DW was a bad move. Not sure why they didn’t push it up a week or two. Can’t recall what else was in theatres at the time.

Makes me wonder about avengers movies if Downey and Russo bros are getting that much plus all of the other actors, cgi and costs that it will likely come in at $300 mill cost so $750 mill just to break even. Plus marketing costs. Which may take break even to $900 mill. Who knows given the bloated budgets we’ve seen from Disney over the past 2 years.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
If 2.5 times the cost from the global box is required to break even for any film, then you do need to watch the budget.

You do want to give yourself 2 weekends to make the bulk of your money so going up against DW was a bad move. Not sure why they didn’t push it up a week or two. Can’t recall what else was in theatres at the time.

Makes me wonder about avengers movies if Downey and Russo bros are getting that much plus all of the other actors, cgi and costs that it will likely come in at $300 mill cost so $750 mill just to break even. Plus marketing costs. Which may take break even to $900 mill. Who knows given the bloated budgets we’ve seen from Disney over the past 2 years.
They get an insane amount of money back in tax write off. Twisters was a complete success, already passing 280M. And it will continue to bring in money the next three decades well after it's out of theaters by channels picking up the rights to air it.

That 2.5X is such BS, pretty much nobody would make movies in that case since so many movies wouldnt be making money.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
They get an insane amount of money back in tax write off. Twisters was a complete success, already passing 280M. And it will continue to bring in money the next three decades well after it's out of theaters by channels picking up the rights to air it.

That 2.5X is such BS, pretty much nobody would make movies in that case since so many movies wouldnt be making money.
It wouldn't be headed to VOD less than a month after opening in theaters if its theater run had been a complete success. That should be enough proof that it likely wasn't going to break even at the box office and that the "2.5x" rule isn't "BS." Like other films, it'll continue to make money after it leaves theaters and might be profitable in the long run, but it hasn't been profitable yet.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
It wouldn't be headed to VOD less than a month after opening in theaters if its theater run had been a complete success. That should be enough proof that it likely wasn't going to break even at the box office and that the "2.5x" rule isn't "BS." Like other films, it'll continue to make money after it leaves theaters and might be profitable in the long run, but it hasn't been profitable yet.
So they know they will make a killing in VOD, smart move.

SepticFish

Jul 14, 2005
The quick release to VOD is a Universal thing. They do it with all their movies. Despicable Me 4, which has made 750 million worldwide just hit vod and it was out a couple weeks before Twisters.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
So they know they will make a killing in VOD, smart move.
Maybe, but the point is that they haven't yet.
The quick release to VOD is a Universal thing. They do it with all their movies. Despicable Me 4, which has made 750 million worldwide just hit vod and it was out a couple weeks before Twisters.
Good point. It looks like they do it when the domestic box office peters out. Twisters isn't going to make much more and is still a long way from breaking even, so they have to count on VOD helping out.

Last edited:

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
I was going to Friday but its getting pulled from theatres here Thursday so I went on Tuesday

Weirdly enough the 10pm showing on a Tuesday near the end of run was almost full - it wasn't the largest theatre room though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad