Player Discussion Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Ofcourse it is. I’d trade him straight up for Ullmark. However both sides are negotiating. Taking a new approach, we don’t want you, by his silence he doesn’t want to be here. So I see an 8 year extension 11 million per. lol!
I have no idea what you are saying.

Think it is time for you to take a break from this thread.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Trading Marner for one of the better puck moving d men in the league would be a damn shame. We don't need that. On top of that getting a pretty good goalie in return who can start if Woll can't stay healthy. Not good. Having that extra cap space to sign 1 or 2 of the top RD available depending if we want to bring Liljegren back or not would also suck. The thought of having the best d core we've had probably in decades kind of makes me sick tbh that it could happen by moving just 1 player.

Seriously though, if they talk with Vegas about that deal they should do what they can to get Hertl involved in it. Would be the perfect C between Nylander and Knies.

Reactions: arso40

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
As a NJ fan, what was the Keefe-Marner relationship like during their time in Toronto?

Do you think Marner would want to play for Keefe again?

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
As a NJ fan, what was the Keefe-Marner relationship like during their time in Toronto?

Do you think Marner would want to play for Keefe again?
Is NJ ready to pay Marner $12.5 million AAV?

I think all those words are English but other than that I have no idea what you are on about.
kristen-stewart-laughing-v9hc25b0oij2cczh.gif

Reactions: Arzak

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Would have been interesting to listen in on their meet when they decided not to move anyone when the window was open.

Agreed, Dubas was horrible but not moving on is on Treliving. Hopefully he knows what he's doing.
A cursory glance at the Calgary Flames suggests he doesn't.

But let's give him some time - I found his first year underwhelming, but I do believe you can learn from your past experiences, even the bad / failures. Hopefully he's become better at his job after reflecting on what went wrong in Calgary.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Treliving probably knows what every GM wants for every player in the league.

Apparently he harasses them all day long. With his stupid fantasy trade proposals. He wants to be in on all the action.

He's a real wheeler dealer that way.

So trading Marner in a short period of time shouldn't have been a problem. It's a simple matter of calling 32 GM's and asking if they're interested. Start with the ones you know would be in on him and go from there.

Once you got your short list of offers you call them back and squeeze them for more.

We're talking about a 100 point winger who can play in all situations. If you can't trade a guy like that in a matter of days then you're incompetent at the job. It might surprise some Leafs fans to learn this but, like Dubas, Marner is a hot commodity in the hockey world outside Toronto.

Someone will pay the price in a heartbeat.

Reactions: arso40

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
A cursory glance at the Calgary Flames suggests he doesn't.

But let's give him some time - I found his first year underwhelming, but I do believe you can learn from your past experiences, even the bad / failures. Hopefully he's become better at his job after reflecting on what went wrong in Calgary.
Treliving probably knows what every GM wants for every player in the league.

Apparently he harasses them all day long. With his stupid fantasy trade proposals. He wants to be in on all the action.

He's a real wheeler dealer that way.

So trading Marner in a short period of time shouldn't have been a problem. It's a simple matter of calling 32 GM's and asking if they're interested. Start with the ones you know would be in on him and go from there.

Once you got your short list of offers you call them back and squeeze them for more.

We're talking about a 100 point winger who can play in all situations. If you can't trade a guy like that in a matter of days then you're incompetent at the job. It might surprise some Leafs fans to learn this but, like Dubas, Marner is a hot commodity in the hockey world outside Toronto.

Someone will pay the price in a heartbeat.
I will be willing to bet a large sum of money that the Pittsburgh Penguins are going to regret hiring him and whoever trades for Marner are going to regret it within 5 years at the absolutely latest.

P.S who gives a shit about Marners regular season accomplishments? We all know what he does come play off time. Or should I say what he doesn't do.

Last edited:

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
He ain't worth it.

Agree 100%.

I'm pointing out how messy the situation is likely to get and how there's not likely any scenario that avoids that. Trading him now seems like the smartest (and according to us fans, the best) play but a whole lot has to fall into place for that to happen and it won't be easy.

Not the least of which Marner simply refusing to waive, for whatever reason.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
P.S who gives a shit about Marners season accomplishments? We all know what he does come play off time. Or should I say what he doesn't do.

A GM of a bubble team looking at Marner as the final piece to get them into the playoffs would be very interested in those regular season accomplishments.

In fact I'd guess there are 32 GM's in the league concerned with regular season accomplishments. You and me and every other Leafs fan all know Marner is a playoffs dud. But a GM on another team might not know and probably wouldn't care.

You need to get to the dance first before worrying about what happens when you get there.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Daily Rep. Trade. Do not want.

Mitch Marner... He'$ expen$ive. And $uck$ the life out of your team when you need clutch.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
A GM of a bubble team looking at Marner as the final piece to get them into the playoffs would be very interested in those regular season accomplishments.

In fact I'd guess there are 32 GM's in the league concerned with regular season accomplishments. You and me and every other Leafs fan all know Marner is a playoffs dud. But a GM on another team might not know and probably wouldn't care.

You need to get to the dance first before worrying about what happens when you get there.
Or a crappy franchise trying to sell tickets

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I will be willing to bet a large sum of money that the Pittsburgh Penguins are going to regret hiring him and whoever trades for Marner are going to regret it within 5 years at the absolutely latest.

P.S who gives a shit about Marners regular season accomplishments? We all know what he does come play off time. Or should I say what he doesn't do.

Why would any team regret trading for Marner? Say a team like Vegas trades for him. They are going to be even more dynamic. One player in hockey doesn’t make you lose. It’s the sum of all the teams parts not working that makes you lose. Marner as a complimentary guy as opposed to the THE guy will be fine in any market.

It sucks for Marner but if he is going to want big money it’s going to be on a shitty hockey team and maybe he’s okay with that.

If he wants to win and go to a contender, he’ll get an 8-year deal but it’s not going to be at his free agency rate and he won’t be the man. This is a crucial summer for him to decide how he wants his career to look moving forward. Ultimately I think he’s going to go with the latter and go to a place where he can win and get an 8-year deal at reasonable money, not necessarily the most

Reactions: ACC1224

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Bottomline I think a trade is nearly impossible. I think they give Berube a run with him. Few know better about protecting & creating an environment where softer stars can thrive. End result will be an extension for Marner or he gets pissed off with all the negative scape goat press and bolts year end.

Sadly Dubas messed things up the the salary cap. It will take at least one more year to correct that.

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Why would any team regret trading for Marner? Say a team like Vegas trades for him. They are going to be even more dynamic. One player in hockey doesn’t make you lose. It’s the sum of all the teams parts not working that makes you lose. Marner as a complimentary guy as opposed to the THE guy will be fine in any market.

It sucks for Marner but if he is going to want big money it’s going to be on a shitty hockey team and maybe he’s okay with that.

If he wants to win and go to a contender, he’ll get an 8-year deal but it’s not going to be at his free agency rate and he won’t be the man. This is a crucial summer for him to decide how he wants his career to look moving forward. Ultimately I think he’s going to go with the latter and go to a place where he can win and get an 8-year deal at reasonable money, not necessarily the most
Vegas is definitely a team that he would thrive on. Of course we don't know what he's thinking and he will be a little further away from family. Plus with a better tax situation they could offer him a lower number long-term.thus not hurting the cap as much. We'd no doubt have to take contracts back so .... Guess Vegas is one of very few teams that this could work at least on paper. Eichel & Marner? Scary.

Reactions: francis246

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
He. Wants. $12.5. MILLION. DOLLARS.

He ain't worth it.
He is not. Having said that, is there any evidence that he wants 12.5 or has it just become "board gospel" ?

The only conclusion is that he wants to play out his contract and test free agency and Leafs lose him for nothing.
Is it the only conclusion or is there a possibility it is being used as a negotiating tactic?

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023

If he was willing to do that somewhere else why wouldn't he just do it here?

He's not gonna take a penny less than what his daddy and agent tell him he's getting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad