Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I suspect the Leafs FO is finding it hard to find a team willing to sign Marner to a $12.5 million AAV extension.

lol that has nothing to do with anything. Marner will not be moved before his bonus on July 1st is paid. That is the only barrier. Additionally Marner cannot extend before July 1st. So he will be moved after that.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Nylander was not even close last year to Marner. Ignore the evidence but don't lie
If you are changing it to 'last regular season', Marner was at least close, but the topic was 'last two playoff series', and Nylander and Matthews were much better in them.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Doesn't think Berube will be bothered by having Marner back as a pending UFA. Thinks the coach is confident enough in his abilities to get deal with that. Ponders whether the Leafs think the new ingredient of the head coach this year could bring about difference.

This approach was entirely expected.

Any coach coming in fresh is going to (at least publicly) embrace the challenge of turning a star around and the Leafs will use that as a rationale/excuse to not opt for the difficult path of trying to trade Mitch, at least for now.

And that position is validated if Mitch either comes out of the gate flying, determined to show he can play a more playoff-friendly style, in which case an extension is more attractive to everyone. On the other hand if he's a dud then it strengthens the case to move him, perhaps even to Mitch himself.

As many have pointed out, I think it's messy and potentially disastrous for this team no matter which path they take (e.g. He looks great during the season, all roads point to an extension and he flops in the playoffs = messy).

Last edited:

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Just look at the Panthers Vs Oilers and it’s pretty clear that top heavy team will not work. Bc Oilers is the best example of a top heavy team and they couldn’t break through a well balanced team with top talents like the Panthers.
Two 10mil plus players is the max for any teams to be able to compete with a balanced team like the Panthers

That series comes down to the goalies on each team put a goalie, who is playing like Bob, on Edmonton and they are up 3-0.

Reactions: Confucius

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
That series comes down to the goalies on each team put a goalie, who is playing like Bob, on Edmonton and they are up 3-0.
Yep... too bad they didn't get an actual good goalie instead of Campbell. At this point though, maybe Campbell would be their best option.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Bob is also the highest paid goalie in the league or 2nd highest paid.

In a way, any teams going into a series with Panthers know they will be facing top goalie in Bob.

Any coach coming in fresth is going to (at least publicly) embrace the challenge of turning a star around and the Leafs will use that as a rationale/excuse to not opt for the difficult path of trying to trade Mitch, at least for now.

And that position is validated if Mitch either comes out of the gate flying, determined to show he can play a more playoff-friendly style, in which case an extension is more attractive to everyone. On the other hand if he's a dud then it strengthens the case to move him, perhaps even to Mitch himself.

As many have pointed out, I think it's messy and potentially disastrous for this team no matter which path they take (e.g. He looks great during the season, all roads point to an extension and he flops in the playoffs = messy).
One way to avoid all that is to trade him before the season.

I still can’t understand the reason why MM wants to stay. Not once had been said that he wants to sign an extension and retire as a Leafs post playoffs. It’s been I will honour my contract.

To me it seems like MM himself doesn’t even want to be here.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Agreed, a red hot goalie can make all the difference, if the Oilers lose the series it won’t be for lack of scoring chances……..

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I'm sure he won't like his own medicine.

I think we can safely assume if he was a -15 we'd hear about it quite a lot in this thread.

As it is, Marner being the most productive player in the Leafs core AND the best +/- just leaves the "he's a wimp" excuse as a reason to trade him. Like the rest of our core players are some kind of badasses or something.
Trust me, you're not worth the "influencer" pay Quartexx Management, Rocket Security Social Media Protection Division, is paying you.

What is it, a quarter a post?

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
lol that has nothing to do with anything. Marner will not be moved before his bonus on July 1st is paid. That is the only barrier. Additionally Marner cannot extend before July 1st. So he will be moved after that.
All true. Also true: they're talking with other teams.

Reactions: francis246
Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
Agreed, a red hot goalie can make all the difference, if the Oilers lose the series it won’t be for lack of scoring chances……..

Game 2 was pretty important, and the Oilers generated zero quality chances until late in regulation when it was already over

If they lose the series, they can look back at the pathetic effort in game 2

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007

Any coach coming in fresth is going to (at least publicly) embrace the challenge of turning a star around and the Leafs will use that as a rationale/excuse to not opt for the difficult path of trying to trade Mitch, at least for now.

He. Wants. $12.5. MILLION. DOLLARS.

He ain't worth it.

Reactions: arso40

Ports

Dec 7, 2017

Not sure there’s anything that Marner can do during the regular season that shows he’ll play better in the playoffs unless he takes boxing lessons this summer and looks for payback against Tkachuk. Seriously, he’s too slight and weak to stand up physically and good teams take away his time and space and let him dance around the perimeter but get nowhere near where he needs to go to be effective.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Bob is also the highest paid goalie in the league or 2nd highest paid.

In a way, any teams going into a series with Panthers know they will be facing top goalie in Bob.

One way to avoid all that is to trade him before the season.

I still can’t understand the reason why MM wants to stay. Not once had been said that he wants to sign an extension and retire as a Leafs post playoffs.[/ b]been I will honour my contract.

To me it seems like MM himself doesn’t even want to be here.

What and give you guys more ammo? lol!

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
What and give you guys more ammo? lol!
Had he?

If he wants to remain a Leafs, his camp had certainly not said anything about working on a new contract with the Leafs.

The only conclusion is that he wants to play out his contract and test free agency and Leafs lose him for nothing.

Won't that means trading him now is better than losing him for nothing?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
sometimes, not often enough. I do think being not being good is different than not caring about winning a stanley cup which is what the tweet said
I don't buy the not caring part bc I hope they all care.
I do question how much do they want it and willing to do it though.

I mentioned it on another thread. Tkachuk said it is very tough and hard playing the way they played every game, always forechecking, backchecking....but it is tougher for the other team to play against us.

Thats the difference between our guys and the Panthers or Vegas or someone who won the Cup.

I hope our guys don't know that as it is much better than them knowing it but not doing it bc it is tough and hard.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Friedman on 32 thoughts today Re: Marner
"You cannot say anything on this topic without someone going berzerk. This is why this is the hardest topic to dicsuss in the NHL" ... "you can't say a thing without someone getting mad. Even when you're not trying to say something remotely not controversial."

Reading between the lines, someone from Marner's camp probably reached out to him.
I wonder if part of the whole situation is that the Maple Leafs are tired of dealing with all that comes with Marner off the ice.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
I don't buy the not caring part bc I hope they all care.
I do question how much do they want it and willing to do it though.

I mentioned it on another thread. Tkachuk said it is very tough and hard playing the way they played every game, always forechecking, backchecking....but it is tougher for the other team to play against us.

Thats the difference between our guys and the Panthers or Vegas or someone who won the Cup.

I hope our guys don't know that as it is much better than them knowing it but not doing it bc it is tough and hard.
I think our star guys have backchecked pretty hard throughout most of our playoff failures. maybe not Nylander but he seems to be the least reviled of them anyway

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Had he?

If he wants to remain a Leafs, his camp had certainly not said anything about working on a new contract with the Leafs.

The only conclusion is that he wants to play out his contract and test free agency and Leafs lose him for nothing.

Won't that means trading him now is better than losing him for nothing?
Ofcourse it is. I’d trade him straight up for Ullmark. However both sides are negotiating. Taking a new approach, we don’t want you, by his silence he doesn’t want to be here. So I see an 8 year extension 11 million per. lol!

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Friedman on 32 thoughts today Re: Marner
"You cannot say anything on this topic without someone going berzerk. This is why this is the hardest topic to dicsuss in the NHL" ... "you can't say a thing without someone getting mad. Even when you're not trying to say something remotely not controversial."

Reading between the lines, someone from Marner's camp probably reached out to him.
I wonder if part of the whole situation is that the Maple Leafs are tired of dealing with all that comes with Marner off the ice.

He is an entitled POS person IMHO. Want nothing to do with the guy. He is a fake Toronto loyalist. Money first all the way

Put it this way. If MM was a UFA and said I will sign with your team for 12m. I would say take a hike.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad