Speculation: 2024-25 Free Agency/Trade Thread (Free Agency Frenzy July 1st)

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
What about

Gibson
Small add

15th
Husso
Holl

I don’t really see the 15 in a gibson deal unless we’re retaining 50%, and taking Husso back and adding sweeteners… and even then I’d say it’s very unlikely

Then again…. Wings did just give sharks a 2nd to take Walman…. Who is a capable dmen on an alright contract…. So who knows

rlstine

Jun 14, 2017
I’ll be happy to have a resolution to this one, and hoping Fowler is next.

It’s time for these guys from the old guard to go somewhere else, and it shouldn’t be taboo to say that
Think Fowler will be a Duck until he retires.

I’ve watched most Ducks games since Gibson came into the league and I have no idea how ‘good’ he is anymore. Probably not very but I also wouldn’t be surprised if he completely turned it around somewhere else.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

I’ve watched most Ducks games since Gibson came into the league and I have no idea how ‘good’ he is anymore. Probably not very but I also wouldn’t be surprised if he completely turned it around somewhere else.
Hopefully that’s like next year then

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

I expect him to be moved at the TDL his last contract year.

GermanRocket7

Make Bettman irrelevant again
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
It's not going to happen, but a man can dream:

Ducks get:
Moritz Seider
15th OA
Husso
Holl

Red Wings get:
Gibson (50% retained from SJ)
Fowler
3rd OA

Maybe Seider alleged he won't re-sign with Detroit, so they'd be hard-pressed to find a suitable replacement. 3rd OA gets them exactly that, albeit younger and, obviously, unproven. The Red Wings also get rid of their unwanted goalie in a swap for Gibson and acquire another defenseman to help tutor their young players in Fowler, who effectively gets back Holl (cap dump) and the 15th.

The second to SJ was for SJ to mediate as a broker and take on retention for Gibson, so that the Ducks don't have to pay him and the dollar value evens out somewhat.

• Haha
Reactions: SmokeyDuck

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
Gibson does not have negative value. Teams are calling PV for trades and he's holding out. No one should expect a giant return but it won't be for a worse return because what would be the point of the trade then? I could easily see swapping picks 15 and 31 with a trade with Detroit.

As for Fowler, this has already been addressed. Too many young defensemen equals complete failure. Everything PV has said indicates he's looking to improve, not take a step back. The Ducks need more vets, not less. Fowler is blocking anyone because no one on the Ducks is pushing his ice time. In fact, the team would probably be stoked if that was happening but it's clearly not. The logic for trading Gibson is, in theory, because Dostal is ready. No one on this team is ready for Fowler's minutes, no one.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Two firsts, two seconds and three thirds in this year’s draft. Maybe some of that draft capital could be traded to improve the roster? For example, this team really needs a RHD - preferably top pair, but we may have to settle for a top-4 guy. I don’t think Levshunov at 3OA answers that need, at least not in the short term.

What options do we have? Marino from NJ is rumored to be available, if their link to Pesce turns out to be true. Andersson from Calgary, since the Flames seem to be selling? Guys like Weegar and Cernak have a scary amount of term left. Whitecloud from Vegas, due to their ongoing cap gymnastics? Jokiharju from Buffalo? :dunno:

Last edited:

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
It's not going to happen, but a man can dream:

Ducks get:
Moritz Seider
15th OA
Husso
Holl

Red Wings get:
Gibson (50% retained from SJ)
Fowler
3rd OA

Maybe Seider alleged he won't re-sign with Detroit, so they'd be hard-pressed to find a suitable replacement. 3rd OA gets them exactly that, albeit younger and, obviously, unproven. The Red Wings also get rid of their unwanted goalie in a swap for Gibson and acquire another defenseman to help tutor their young players in Fowler, who effectively gets back Holl (cap dump) and the 15th.

The second to SJ was for SJ to mediate as a broker and take on retention for Gibson, so that the Ducks don't have to pay him and the dollar value evens out somewhat.

Sharks have no retention slots left

Two firsts, two seconds and three thirds in this year’s draft. Maybe some of that draft capital could be traded to improve the roster? For example, this team really needs a RHD - preferably top pair, but we may have to settle for a top-4 guy. I don’t think Levshunov at 3OA answers that need, at least not in the short term.

What options do we have? Marino from NJ is rumored to be available, if their link to Pesce turns out to be true. Andersson from Calgary, since the Flames seem to be selling? Guys like Weegar and Cernak have a scary amount of term left. Whitecloud from Vegas, due to their ongoing cap gymnastics? Jokiharju from Buffalo? :dunno:

PV should know by the draft what his odds are with regards to FA targets at both wing and D. I hope he does weaponize these draft picks if he doesn't think we are suitors for his FA preferences.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA

Hopefully Ducks get 1 short term (1 year left) and 1 longer term (but better) RD, like Roy. Luneau missed most of the year, so having a guy that fills the role until Luneau gets back into form in San Diego would be good. If we draft Lev/Silayev, Gudas is up in 2 years (when they could realistically be ready). Bring Luneau up this year either if injuries hit or after TDL, Luneau full time next season, then whoever we draft (if we go D) in 2 years or trade for a 1 year stop gap if that player needs time.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Really don't mind Gibson staying or going but from we saw at Worlds, Dostal is ready to take the net. Would be nice for a trade to happen mainly so the team can just put that chapter behind them and have Zegras be the only one involved in ongoing trade rumors

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
As is, I have a hard time seeing Terry traded asap when the team has a hard enough time scoring goals. Vatrano going to get 35+ again? Would hope that the young players take a next step but that’s what we are always waiting on it seems.

Would be banking on a healthy Zegras and him putting it all together and a great sophomore year from Carlsson.

Maybe after next season? Vatrano will be UFA as well.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
So of the teams that might have a need in net there's EDM/TOR/CBJ/DET/UT. Edmonton would probably get us some value if we take Campbell, but do we really want to help them win and/or keep McDrai in town? I don't

Would Gibson waive for Toronto? I think the other 3 make more sense. I'd prefer the contracts coming back from DET/UT than having to eat Merzilikins deal which is just as bad as Gibson if not worse.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
So of the teams that might have a need in net there's EDM/TOR/CBJ/DET/UT. Edmonton would probably get us some value if we take Campbell, but do we really want to help them win and/or keep McDrai in town? I don't

Would Gibson waive for Toronto? I think the other 3 make more sense. I'd prefer the contracts coming back from DET/UT than having to eat Merzilikins deal which is just as bad as Gibson if not worse.
Yeah taking back Merzlikens seems like a lateral move at best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad