GDT: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread , Free Agency Frenzy, July 1st @ 9am PT

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
I’ll believe it when i see it. But if Gibson is moved it’s gonna be for a lot less than what people are expecting

This. I don't think this makes us a better team. Hopefully it clears salary in year 2-3 but thats about all i expect for an impact.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
You? Low expectations? I’m shocked.

If Verbeek delivers on his word, then I will be happy. So far the rumors of potential fits with Free Agency seem to not link anyone to us

Now with the whole Stamkos and Marchessault apparently trying to make it work with their respective teams - what will be there to look forward to? Not really looking forward to icing a team of mostly young kids forcing them to sink or swim

I’ll believe it when i see it. But if Gibson is moved it’s gonna be for a lot less than what people are expecting

We unfortunately may have to retain too?

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I don't think people are expecting a lot but they may get more than you think they will. It sounds like Detroit wants to upgrade their goaltending and Gibson is the best option out there. His 3 years remaining is actually a benefit at this point since Yzerman said he wants the goalie to be around for at least 2-3 years. I could see a 1st (24 or protected 25) coming back along with Husso and maybe Holl. We'll see if anything actually happens but this is starting to get some traction.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You? Low expectations? I’m shocked.

I have some expectations, I’m really focused on the Ducks next season and think it will be more entertaining seeing them climb out of the cellar and into a more competitive team than seeing the Rangers fall short again. I don’t think that core can get it done. Last season and the playoffs took a lot out of me.

Getting back to the Ducks, felt they would have been much better if not for all the injuries which was like Top 5 in the league for man games lost. This is why the moving Zegras thing annoys me. They were a much better team with him in the line up. If they can be even close to healthy think they can make some noise. But they also need outside help. So like to see what Verbeek is going to do. I’m giving him 2 more years to turn this team around, before I think his plan is not working.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
This. I don't think this makes us a better team. Hopefully it clears salary in year 2-3 but thats about all i expect for an impact.
If we move Gibson we will be a worse team until Jan 1. After the first, we will be better, or no different.

Gibson has been a ripe early spoil late his entire career. No reason that will change.

John

Reactions: Kalv

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I don't think people are expecting a lot but they may get more than you think they will. It sounds like Detroit wants to upgrade their goaltending and Gibson is the best option out there. His 3 years remaining is actually a benefit at this point since Yzerman said he wants the goalie to be around for at least 2-3 years. I could see a 1st (24 or protected 25) coming back along with Husso and maybe Holl. We'll see if anything actually happens but this is starting to get some traction.
Thinking we get back a first is what im referring to. People thinking we can get the 15ova for him (and taking back Husso) are setting themselves up for disappointment.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Gibson with retention doesn’t make a ton of sense cause we’d be locking up a slot for 3 years.
Only rebuilding teams need multiple retention slots anyways. Verbeek wants us pushing for the playoffs next season. Gibson on retention for 3 years is whatever. Also, Verbeek “ being firm on not wanting to retain” probably its all negotiating leverage he’s using so that at the end he can say he’s giving in while maybe asking for a little bit more in return. Meta game stuff

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Thinking we get back a first is what im referring to. People thinking we can get the 15ova for him (and taking back Husso) are setting themselves up for disappointment.
I don't think PV would trade Gibson at this point unless the return was something that was good for the organization. There is zero need to give him away.

Ullmark's return has set the market. We'll be so underwhelmed by the return that we'll be at bedrock.
At the end of the day, Ullmark still returned a 1st for only one year.

Reactions: Kalv and DavidBL

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
At the end of the day, Ullmark still returned a 1st.

I mean...he did, but really only a 1st in addition to taking Korpisalo and Kastelic.

So if Ullmark coming off some great seasons only got the 1st, I can't imagine a trade around the 15OA working without taking a lot more back.

I agree that Gibson probably is not gonna get traded.

Dostwall

Jun 17, 2024
According to PuckPedia’s draft pick value calculator, the difference between pick 15 and 31 is roughly the 25th pick.

We saw 1 year of Ullmark get traded for pick 25 + a cap dump in Korpisalo.

Gibson hasn’t been as good as Ullmark obviously, but he has more term than Ullmark.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Gibson had a bad year and even the usual eye test where he looked good, he looked poor. Before that I thought he played really well. Put the team on his back on a lot of nights.

I think its time to move on for both sides. I don't think the Ducks will get very much at all. @Quack Shot is probably close on what the return will be.

Reactions: lwvs84

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Maybe it’s copium but I actually think people will be pleasantly surprised by a Gibson return. Maybe not the people who thought a package involving Gibby and 10th overall but I truly don’t think he has negative value. The team not really wanting to retain and talks happening anyway is kind of telling, I think.
Yup, these rumors aren't emanating from Anaheim. I think a return somewhere in the realm of what Markstrom and Ullmark got is very much in the cards IF he is traded. I suspect the Ducks will have to take back a contract or two but there will be a solid piece also. Verbeek has no reason to just give him away.

Reactions: Hey234

SmokeyDuck

Jul 27, 2010
Anaheim, CA
There are only so many starting goalies available. I think whoever gets Gibson will be happy. As for the return? Who knows. I think Gibson on a good team with his cap and term will be a net positive. How many teams contending can afford those 8+ million dollar starters? Not to mention they usually want term too and Gibson has a few years which gives you a few runs at a reasonable cap hit for a starter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad