Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] D Chris Tanev signs extension with the Maple Leafs (6 years, $4.5M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Well, the leafs got their guy…6 years was the cost I guess. Think it’s way too long but if they win in those years then it will be worth it I suppose. Still, wow at the term…

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Meh... obviously they gave him long term in exchange for a lower average per season.

I think he can be solid for the next couple of years and then decent for the next one or two.

After that, who cares?

Reactions: Sundinisagod

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I like Tanev but not at 6 years at that cap hit. Least you know he’s ready for LTIR sooner than later. Guys routinely hurt.

I also hate seeing these contracts that can only be defended by saying they will at some point be LTIR buried.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
There are things like wine, which age well and then contracts like these.

Obviously he's not expected to be good for the duration of the contract. They gave him six years so he could get the money he wanted and they wouldn't have to pay more than an average of $5 mil per season.

He probably won't be playing by the sixth year.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This is long for a 34 year old that is often injured. Could be good for a year, but not sure when he will fall off a cliff. These are the worst deals IMO. Long deals for a player that is good for a season, and after that, you know the inevitable is near.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad