The Oilers have no doubt the best forward group in the league

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
So they need to make a move... there are ways to make it work, it just involves more than sending some players down.

All sound like fine options, just the poster made it sound like there were easy routes... the routes outlined above take some work.

Thanks.

Mini dynasty? What?

Bouchard and Drai are about to get raises and Ekholm and Skinner are closer to retirement than going on multiple cup runs.

No guarantees McDavid stays, and if he does, he likely is getting a huge raise.

Despite Skinner playing at an amazing .901 sv%, I am not convinced he is the answer.
Even if McDavid takes 16M. That's not a huge raise as he's already making 12.5M

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
well Im not talking about replacing Floridas players with anyone either. McDavid makes that team, u take him away are they even a top 10 team? so how are they the best if they likely dont even make playoffs without him? now if u took McDavid away and they STILL are likely a fav then sure
Again, the argument is flawed. You can't remove a player of his calibur AND not allow the team to use his cap hit, then try to say they wouldn't be as good as if it's some kind of knock on the team.

you remove McDavid, you have 12.5 mil to replace him, that's still one outstanding player or two very good players to add to an already very deep team...yes they would definitely be a playoff team without McDavid and are allowed to use his cap hit to replace the player. Are they as good in that scenario? no, but they are still firmly a playoff team. With the depth they have now and McDavid they are a Legitimate contender, without him, they are still a playoff team without question.

you can't take a player like McDavid out, who makes as much money as he does, then say the team wouldn't make the playoffs without allowing that team to spend the money he would've been making. that's specious reasoning.

Every team gets to spend to 88 million, McDavid is part of that 88 mil, if you remove him then say "Oilers you only get 75.5 million" then you knock them for not making the playoffs when you purposely handicapped them to prove a wrong-minded narrative, you're being disingenuous.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Even if McDavid takes 16M. That's not a huge raise as he's already making 12.5M

The issue is it comes a year after Drai and Bouchard get much larger ones.

I am assuming between the 3, you're looking at somewhere around $15 million more (and I think I am being conservative).

As well as losing your best D or him just aging out as well.

There are legitimate concerns that Edmonton doesn't have a huge window, at least the current core, they will always have a window with McDavid.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Yeah adding soft one dimensional Jeff Skinner and often injured Arvidsson doesn’t really do much for them. I mean I guess Mcdavid can carry them to the finals and then no show the important games at best.
The Oilers are the perfect team to add a one dimensional scorer. The whole team is full of two way players and role players. Jeff Skinner is going to score goals and inflate his teammates' assists totals in the process

• Haha
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The issue is it comes a year after Drai and Bouchard get much larger ones.

I am assuming between the 3, you're looking at somewhere around $15 million more (and I think I am being conservative).

As well as losing your best D or him just aging out as well.

There are legitimate concerns that Edmonton doesn't have a huge window, at least the current core, they will always have a window with McDavid.
Kane's, Kulak, Ekholm, Henrique, Arvidsson contract will be over that same year. Ekholm likely take less in his new deal. Plus the salary cap will likely be 98M when McDavid new deal kicks in.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
That's even worse.

Agree to disagree.

34 with some miles, he might fall off starting next season.

Don't think he is as good as his point total, he gets a lot of A2s

I hope he gets paid like his point total though, will be hilarious to have $20 million in Nurse/Bouchard.

Core is meh.

They have a cheat code, after that it is not that impressive.
and he might not.

good thing stats don't give a shit what you think.

Again, results don't care what you are "impressed" by.

it's ironic that you're name is "notbias" but yet all of your Oiler related posts absolutely drip with bias against the Oilers. That's fine, dislike whatever team you wish, but don't pass off bias, slanted opinions as fact because it's what you "feel".

Reactions: 94 Oil Drops

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
and he might not.

good thing stats don't give a shit what you think.

Again, results don't care what you are "impressed" by.

it's ironic that you're name is "notbias" but yet all of your Oiler related posts absolutely drip with bias against the Oilers. That's fine, dislike whatever team you wish, but don't pass off bias, slanted opinions as fact because it's what you "feel".

Results are that Edmonton was not good enough to win the cup and likely aren't again.

Hanging a banner saying "we were the best losers" doesn't change that.

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
This team was probably a healthy Draisaitl away from winning a cup this year already.
Adding some forward depth certainly helps with occuring injuries.

Arvidsson is a better forward than Foegele, but injured often. So let's just assume this trade-off is 1:1.
The difference to the Panthers-series could then still be Skinner and Kane, who can both score and add some grit. That's two additional top 6 wingers.

The Oilers' are all set up-front. This could also be the first season in Draisaitl's career where even if injuries occur, he gets to play with two actual top 6 wingers throughout the season.

But as many have already pointed out, the biggest task for them will be to get some good defense and goaltending next year. It's also questionable if the PK can repeat what it accomplished last season, but why not?

Reactions: FiveFourteenSixOne

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
Results are that Edmonton was not good enough to win the cup and likely aren't again.

Hanging a banner saying "we were the best losers" doesn't change that.
Results are that they were 2 goals away from the Cup, and have significantly improved their roster since then, but thanks again for that unbiased commentary "notbias"

Reactions: CanadienShark

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Haven't read the entire thread way too much trash talking so forgive me if this has already been brought up. I do think Skinner and Arvidsson will help their group - Skinner kinda fell off last year but 3M is a good gamble; and Arvidsson is good but has injury concerns. That being said, aren't the Oilers 2.5M over the CAP? Plus another player needs to be added they are only at 22 players. Wondering where they drop the roughly 3.5M? I'm guessing some part of their forward group might take a hit there. Kinda makes this question difficult to answer.

The way I see their forwards as a collective unit, is you have the 2 best forwards in the game, then a middle of the pack group of depth players. Thing is, McDavid and Draisaitl put you over the top in a lot of offensive categories and it masks the depth issues. Adding Skinner and Arvidsson might be exactly what the group needs to finish those chances from some extra forwards.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
The Oilers' defence is actually pretty decent. People are writing about it on here like it's garbage, but it isn't.

Bouchard and Eckholm are, like, the best pairing in the Western Conference. God, I wish Eckholm was about six years younger. But we'll take what we can. (Fun fact: Eckholm scored 1 fewer even strength point that Steven Stamkos last season.)

Broberg and Nurse (if that lasts) are so-so. Broberg suddenly jumped up to NHL-ready level in the playoffs against tough competition, so we all assume he'll be a regular from next season. And he seems to be the only guy who can play with Nurse and not look really bad. (They're both lefties, unfortunately.) Nurse was kind of 'off' all last year, and he was dreadful in the first three rounds of the playoffs. If he can get back even to his 2022-23 level, they're fine.

Ceci - Kulak is okay -- not great, but okay. I actually like both these players quite a bit. (Ceci suddenly looked great when he wasn't paired with Nurse.) As a bottom pairing, they're quite good.

The fly in the ointment, of course, is Nurse and his cap-eating contract. However, I suspect the club will make at least one major move on defense before the season starts.

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
Holy f***....now he is an ebug?

Next week he will be some guy they yanked out of some cul-de-sac playing street hockey with neighborhood kids.

This narrative continues to impressively evolve lol.

People act like they didn't choose to play Silov over their back-up. Silov played so well he literally moved up their depth chart, and stole them games.

Buncha clowns, I tell ya.

Reactions: PuckG

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Results are that they were 2 goals away from the Cup, and have significantly improved their roster since then, but thanks again for that unbiased commentary "notbias"
A Toronto fan calling himself “notbias” and talking about playoff success has to be one of the things we absolutely foresaw coming considering how they regularly act around here.

Also riding a historic power play and then a historic PK, both of which are unlikely to be repeated.
As opposed to the Canucks riding their PDO bender all season long?

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Significant? Not seeing it.

I don't think many are sold on Skinner either.

Nothing McDavid does will shock me at this point, but I think it is unlikely he will beat the point record for a single playoff, and based on the roster, I think he needs to.

A Toronto fan calling himself “notbias” and talking about playoff success has to be one of the things we absolutely foresaw coming considering how they regularly act around here.

Toronto and Edmonton won the same amount of cups last year, not sure why Oiler fans are acting like they won.

Regardless, Toronto was never mentioned.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Toronto and Edmonton won the same amount of cups last year, not sure why Oiler fans are acting like they won.

Regardless, Toronto was never mentioned.
Congratulations on your “not cup win?”

Once again, it’s comical reading your posts on the Oilers while naming yourself “notbias” and not being able to self-reflect on your own fandom.

The Leafs should be mentioned though. It’s extremely relevant to how you’ve sidetracked the conversation and it particularly noteworthy how poor of a team they’ve been for so long.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Yeah adding soft one dimensional Jeff Skinner and often injured Arvidsson doesn’t really do much for them. I mean I guess Mcdavid can carry them to the finals and then no show the important games at best.
Never saw a hater like this before, generational HF poster and I mean this as a compliment. Just in every thread tearing it up.

Gotta step my game up when it comes to the Leafs

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Not going to bother. If you think either of these guys are top pairing on a Cup contender team, what's the point of debating? At best, Bouchard is a Shattenkirk-type #3D with an over-inflated point total. And Ekholm is a decent defenseman but will be 35 by the end of next year and was he even top pair in his prime? It's just a matter of if your D corps is shallow, the best player on that corps will look better despite not being that good simply due to bias and getting to play a role and minutes a better player normally would have.

Not even exaggerating, this is one of the worst takes I've seen on these boards in a very long time.

Reactions: Coffey

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
If there's one top 4 dman that the Oilers should be trying to get, it's Ekblad. But no team is taking Ceci on his contract so the best thing to do next year is move Broberg into the top 4 and see if he can handle being the #4D. I think he can, he was very good in the playoffs.

Reactions: Coffey

UED

May 2, 2021
Yes, but it's not because of anything you mentioned. It's just because of McDavid. Unfortunately for them they surround him with dime a dozen scorers because they decided the team with the best scorer since Gretzky is desperate for more scoring. No reason for a team with McDavid to choose Evan Bouchard as their #1D or Ryan Nugent-Hopkins as their #3C. Lucky for them McDavid's gonna brute force his way to a cup eventually anyway. If for example they had O'Reilly and McDonagh instead, and they were both recently given away multiple times each, they would've had the best team in the cap era and would be heavy favorites to win their 3rd straight cup.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Never saw a hater like this before, generational HF poster and I mean this as a compliment. Just in every thread tearing it up.

Gotta step my game up when it comes to the Leafs
Weren't they FinlandCaniac a few years ago?

Yes, but it's not because of anything you mentioned. It's just because of McDavid. Unfortunately for them they surround him with dime a dozen scorers because they decided the team with the best scorer since Gretzky is desperate for more scoring. No reason for a team with McDavid to choose Evan Bouchard as their #1D or Ryan Nugent-Hopkins as their #3C. Lucky for them McDavid's gonna brute force his way to a cup eventually anyway. If for example they had O'Reilly and McDonagh instead, and they were both recently given away multiple times each, they would've had the best team in the cap era and would be heavy favorites to win their 3rd straight cup.
What?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad