Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
That’s what I have been saying, why would MM wants to be back?
He just can’t handle the pressure, it is really that simple. I really don’t think MM got the mental fortitude to come back next season and pulls a Willie and turn the opinions. I can see MM at his best if he is playing else where, probably a non Hockey market.

Looking at the Panthers Vs Oilers, anyone still think having a top heavy team build with THREE 11mil fowards will work is delusional. If McD and Drai can’t do it for the Oilers, nobody can. You need to well balance team just look at the past few SC champs.
And Edmontons core five - McDavid, Draisitl, Hyman, RNH and Bouchard make just over $35.5M on the cap while the Leafs core five make $48M. Good luck with that.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Didn’t Shanahan call the core four and tell them they were all coming back before he even hired Treliving ? Rumours are that they did see what they could get for Nylander over the summer but weren’t happy with the return. Chances are that’s what’s happening with Marner right now. Until they get an offer that works for them, there’s no need to have a discussion with Marner or his agent. And then if Marner’s interested they give that team permission to discuss an extension with him. Besides, Leafs have to pay him a bonus of $7.25M on July 1st so it’s doubtful anything would happen until after then anyway.
I suspect the Leafs FO is finding it hard to find a team willing to sign Marner to a $12.5 million AAV extension.

Reactions: ToneDog

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
I suspect the Leafs FO is finding it hard to find a team willing to sign Marner to a $12.5 million AAV extension.
That too but a team like Vegas in a state with no state tax could pay him less. How much would Marner accept on an eight year deal if he thought he would have a good chance to win a cup?

Reactions: ToneDog

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Treliving could have moved Marner last summer.

Sure, Dubas has left us in a pretty horrible situation, but his plan was always to have these guys up for renewals at more or less the same time, so that they could re-evaluate and pivot should they have needed to
Not after Shanahan called the core four after he fired Dubas and told them they were all staying.

Reactions: francis246

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
They tried to trade Nylander but didn't like the return.

Source? To who?

Not after Shanahan called the core four after he fired Dubas and told them they were all staying.

I remember Dubas basically saying changes need made. Sounded like to the core. He got fired and Shanahan promised the boy band that they would keep it together.

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
Millions "try" to go to the gym every January 1st.
Leafs "tried" to trade Nylander.
Leafs will "try' to trade Marner.
Leafs "try" to win.

Reactions: myleafs

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
How can you say being on the ice for more goals scored than allowed is useless/ meaningless. What if Marner was minus 15 in the playoffs would that also be meaningless?

I think we can safely assume if he was a -15 we'd hear about it quite a lot in this thread.

As it is, Marner being the most productive player in the Leafs core AND the best +/- just leaves the "he's a wimp" excuse as a reason to trade him. Like the rest of our core players are some kind of badasses or something.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
This is going to be a long month. Shockingly June is already half over. April felt like it was 60 days

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Didn’t Shanahan call the core four and tell them they were all coming back before he even hired Treliving ? Rumours are that they did see what they could get for Nylander over the summer but weren’t happy with the return.
Shanahan basically guaranteed no core piece could be traded, at least before July 1.
They tried to trade Nylander but didn't like the return.
In the summer? After the season started? Both?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Leafs might want to see how a Berube coached team performs before deciding if major changes are needed?

Maybe next season, not the upcoming season, they run back Matthews, Nylander and marner, and use Tavares money to land the best defender available, perhaps even via a trade to a team going in the other direction?

PC might not be pointing at the Core players, but the supporting cast.

• Love
Reactions: Confucius

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Leafs might want to see how a Berube coached team performs before deciding if major changes are needed?

Maybe next season, not the upcoming season, they run back Matthews, Nylander and marner, and use Tavares money to land the best defender available, perhaps even via a trade to a team going in the other direction?

PC might not be pointing at the Core players, but the supporting cast.
That will go over well, especially if they bow out in round #1. The silver lining will be Marner getting lowballed July 1. Can't say he doesn't deserve it but that is why I think his camp realizes what it could cost him and why he is moved early July.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
That will go over well, especially if they bow out in round #1. The silver lining will be Marner getting lowballed July 1. Can't say he doesn't deserve it but that is why I think his camp realizes what it could cost him and why he is moved early July.

I guess one question with the new boss, do they still have greenlight to throw money away?

Example, sign marner with a $12mm signing bonus and trade him away?

Wasn't there something said/reported about the financial impact of the unmentionable costing the entertainment industry a lot of money that hasn't recovered?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad