Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Noodles is turning into a f***ing tool and really starting to get on my nerves. what a JOKE he is. He wants to give a f***ing 8 yr deal to Marner on a one yr "show me" while completely disregarding the shit post season for the last 8 years

yea... GTFO Noodles
The sadest thing is that it is probably what Leafs will do.

• Wow
Reactions: PromisedLand

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Noodles is turning into a f***ing tool and really starting to get on my nerves. what a JOKE he is. He wants to give a f***ing 8 yr deal to Marner on a one yr "show me" while completely disregarding the shit post season for the last 8 years

yea... GTFO Noodles

Some of you need to relax. It’s radio, their job is to present all angles. If everyone on radio had the same opinion it would be boring. Also do you think Brad Treliving gives two shits about what Noodles wants to do? Or what us fans are posting on hf boards want? Why are you getting so worked up over a radio segment?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

yea... GTFO Noodles
O Dog’s take was spot on, even the media has forgotten what mgmt said on the season ending presser, let alone the eight years of playoff failure………

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Some of you need to relax. It’s radio, their job is to present all angles. If everyone on radio had the same opinion it would be boring. Also do you think Brad Treliving gives two shits about what Noodles wants to do? Or what us fans are posting on hf boards want? Why are you getting so worked up over a radio segment?
Agreed. It’s pretty hard to take much of what the overdrive crew say as relevant.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
O dog had some great points in the clip.
He says it looks like we are going from years of frustration and things need to change to let’s give mega extensions to everyone and run it back again.
That would be total insanity and we might as well write of the next 7-8 years if they choose to extend Marner.
It won’t be all Marners fault but the thought of running this steaming mess back for 8 more years is disgusting

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
O Dog’s take was spot on, even the media has forgotten what mgmt said on the season ending presser, let alone the eight years of playoff failure………
I'd be embarrassed to run it back after the presser and claiming "we are not here to sell jerseys". Giving Mitch anything let alone $100m for 8 years is lunacy after watching him in the playoffs. This after you caved to Nylander at his absolute peak. Meanwhile the Panthers have not signed 57 goal scorer Reinhart and top dman Montour who have made it to the SCF. Talk about absolute stupidity over and over.

As Ron White says, you can't fix stupid.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I'd be embarrassed to run it back after the presser and claiming "we are not here to sell jerseys". Giving Mitch anything let alone $100m for 8 years is lunacy after watching him in the playoffs. This after you caved to Nylander at his absolute peak. Meanwhile the Panthers have not signed 57 goal scorer Reinhart and top dman Montour who have made it to the SCF. Talk about absolute stupidity over and over.

As Ron White says, you can't fix stupid.
If they do run it back it certainly means that the new boss’s are no different then the old boss’s

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
A lot of posturing by both sides going on right now. The Leafs trying to increase Marner’s trade value and Marner’s camp is trying to increase his next contract. By both parties making it seem like he might be re-signed long term by the Leafs, any interested parties need to get serious because they only have a couple weeks until the Leafs can re-sign him on July 1st and he’s off the market or is he ? Could the Leafs re-sign him with a window to trade him with an understanding that he will consider a move to handful of teams. One thing for sure, Dreger is a shill for the Marner camp and part of any posturing strategy being used.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Unless a shock trade happens in the next two ish weeks I'd say the odds of the extension option get skyrocketed to like 80-90%

It's the easiest and most risk averse move of a management group that's already extended 2/4 core forward guys could take.
It’s certainly a possibility but I think it’s actually highly risky knowing how that group has continually failed in the playoffs and watching the team Florida has put together and how successful that style of play has been in the playoffs recently. I do believe their management group is too worried about so-called “losing a trade” on paper and getting skewered for it. They are also likely getting low ball offers at this point in time and until they pay his $7.5M signing bonus on July 1st, he won’t be going anywhere. It wouldn’t surprise me if he starts the season as a Leaf and gets traded during the season. It won’t be fun for him playing out his contract with this fan base and that may increase the list of teams he’ll accept a trade to.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
O dog had some great points in the clip.
He says it looks like we are going from years of frustration and things need to change to let’s give mega extensions to everyone and run it back again.
That would be total insanity and we might as well write of the next 7-8 years if they choose to extend Marner.
It won’t be all Marners fault but the thought of running this steaming mess back for 8 more years is disgusting

You know whats really disgusting? They actually legitimately thought Dubas and Keefe were on the right track after the MTL series. It proved they have some warped sense of reality.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
How is it dumb? He will get 90 plus points and go to UFA and get paid at minimum 11 million dollars. There is zero downside to any option for Marner. In fact he is sitting pretty and he’s in the best position if anyone in this situation.

If Marner chooses to come back it’s because he likes playing here, not to spite anyone. He may want that final season in Toronto before picking a new home and he is entitled to that contractually. He can ignore the noise for one year.

If he’s open to moving on now he will decide the location. He will decide whether he’s a one year rental or if he will sign long term. He controls the entire situation. I don’t really see a bad option for him objectively speaking.
No, he can’t ignore the noise. The so called leaders made up the scapegoat argument after his disappearing act against Boston.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
No, he can’t ignore the noise. The so called leaders made up the scapegoat argument after his disappearing act against Boston.
This is it. He has all of the contractual leverage but does he want his contract year to be a year of discomfort if it is clear they are not resigning him anyway?

On that note, I see a rumour that the Leafs may want to resign him. How does this work out for him when it leaks the Leafs couldn't resign him because he wanted too much money? Add to the discomfort.

I think he either resigns at something reasonable, certainly not more than Nylander (maybe without full NMC) or he gets pressured to accept a trade.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I got to hand it to the Leafs. They don’t know how to build a playoff team but they sure know how to make you look at what is happening and somehow dismiss and doubt what you see.
1718712306661.gif

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Lol whatever you say man. No one gives a shit

The Marner brand is getting rag dolled in the media and town square. I dont think its rational to discount that. It certainly hurts his future contracts if teams know he cant elevate or execute well in the POs.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
The Marner brand is getting rag dolled in the media and town square. I dont think its rational to discount that. It certainly hurts his future contracts if teams know he cant elevate or execute well in the POs.

Sure, that’s a fair statement. But we also know that lack of playoff success has not really stopped free agents from getting money before and I don’t really see that stopping Marner either. I think the only thing that will affect Marner is, he’s not the best winger and no one is going to pay him to be the highest paid winger again. I don’t think he gets more than 11.5 on the open market

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Sure, that’s a fair statement. But we also know that lack of playoff success has not really stopped free agents from getting money before and I don’t really see that stopping Marner either. I think the only thing that will affect Marner is, he’s not the best winger and no one is going to pay him to be the highest paid winger again. I don’t think he gets more than 11.5 on the open market

Right. That 11.5m would also be an overpay just like the Nylander contract. The only justifiable contract is AM who is tracking to be the best goal scorer of all time.

The thing is, that may not happen because it seems the players and Keefe had an arrangement to play stat padding hockey in the regular season and then switch to a more playoff style this year at least. Marner cant sit at that table, its a different league and everyone witnessed it.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
McDavid didn’t “take less” the cap percentage he negotiated was at a time where the cap was lower, which resulted in a lower contract and he extended for 8 years so his contract has stagnated while other players have expired within that 8 years. It’s just the way things have worked out.

I’m all for change, but it doesn’t really matter what we say. Our opinion means Jack shit lol.

This management group has done nothing to convince me that change is on the way, except they are going to try a new coach. I’m a leafs fan through and through, I will love the team if Marner is there and I’ll love the team if he gets moved.

All I’m doing is providing an alternate thinking path. Not necessarily what I want to see happen.
According to this, he did take quite a hometown discount:

McDavid was rumoured to be signing an eight-year deal at $13.25 million per, but he took less than that. Oilers GM Peter Chiarelli said that McDavid could have signed for much more, or pushed for a shorter term, but chose not to do so. “This may be one of the largest contracts ever given in the NHL, but I can assure you it easily could have been a lot higher in value and shorter in term,” Chiarelli said. “Building a team to win the Stanley Cup was a constant discussion point in this negotiation.

“Connor was emphatic, as was I, about keeping this team competitive… He wants us to ice a winning team, as we all do, as the fans of Edmonton do.”

If McDavid had pushed, he could have received the maximum contract of $15 million per year over 8 years, so he has essentially left $20 million on the table. In the McDavid deal, $86 million of the reported $100 million will be paid in signing bonuses each July 1.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

McDavid was rumoured to be signing an eight-year deal at $13.25 million per, but he took less than that. Oilers GM Peter Chiarelli said that McDavid could have signed for much more, or pushed for a shorter term, but chose not to do so. “This may be one of the largest contracts ever given in the NHL, but I can assure you it easily could have been a lot higher in value and shorter in term,” Chiarelli said. “Building a team to win the Stanley Cup was a constant discussion point in this negotiation.

“Connor was emphatic, as was I, about keeping this team competitive… He wants us to ice a winning team, as we all do, as the fans of Edmonton do.”

If McDavid had pushed, he could have received the maximum contract of $15 million per year over 8 years, so he has essentially left $20 million on the table. In the McDavid deal, $86 million of the reported $100 million will be paid in signing bonuses each July 1.

It’s the GM’s job to sell a contract, Brad Treliving has a similar statement when Auston signed last summer

• Haha
Reactions: Arzak

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Very hard to play the negotiation game with the best player in the league. Same with the best goal scorer. We did fine with AM and EDM did fine with McDavid. We blew our brains out on Marner and freaking WN this time around. If Willy transitions to C successfully I wont care so much. 11.5m + Marner is just dumb. Even 10m if we are serious about winning.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Disagree. It would have been much easier to trade Marner or Matthews in June because their NMCs kicked in July 1. Nylander's July 1 NTC made little difference. Leafs likely did not start exploring a Nylander trade until negotiations stalled after July 1.
The timeline is irrelevant - point is, Shanahan's calls to the core were meaningless because they tried to move off the core last summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad