Marner vs Andrei Svechnikov

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Marner vs Svechnikov

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
You realize OP asked for age and contract to be taken into consideration right?
Sure. Elite players get paid more, even old man Marner. The OP asks who do you take. Most take the star because there are no implied cap concerns. Who builds around an inferior player on a team of 1?

I wager Seattle would take Marner if they got to choose.

Last edited:

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Imo Svetchnikov will be the best winger in the league soon enough. Marner is elite/near elite sure depending on your definition of elite but I wouldn't take any winger over Svetchnikov
Not saying he doesnt have the potential but i doubt it. Guys like Kucherov/Panarin arent going anywhere and Pastrnak/Marner/Rantanen/Connor etc are still young and improving. even a guy like Huberdeau is a top tier winger and only 27.

it would take a lot for that to happen. probably a 45-50 goal 95-100+ point season to even be in consideration given how good these guys are.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Sure. Elite players get paid more, even old man. The OP asks who do you take. Most take the star because there are no implied cap concerns. Who builds around an inferior player on a team of 1?

I wager Seattle would take Marner if they got to choose.
yeah this is a case of "he gets paid alot because he is really good". not like its a bad contract. premier money for a premier player.

and people are arguing age when Marner isnt even 3 years older. this is a 20 year old vs a 23 year old, neither has reached their peak.

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
Leafs fan here. And I choose Svechnikov long term no question. Right now it is more or less equal. I think by the season 22-23, Svech will be Top 3 forwards in the league.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Contracts included this is clearly Svechnikov.

Without including contracts, I think its very close. I'd slightly prefer Svechnikov because I think he brings more variety to his game. I know Marner is pretty good defensively, but he's too perimeter-oriented and doesn't score as many goals as Svechnikov. I prefer the way Svechnikov goes about his offense.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
tumblr_olg93bmZ951w5kjd2o1_500.gif

CTZ181

Jan 18, 2021
It's close but Marner's unreal defensive ability and effort gives him my vote.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I’ll take Marner here. He catches flak on this site for being so highly paid even from leaf fans who believe Nylander is better (somehow?).

His talent is undeniable, and having a playmaker like Marner on Matthews wing is what is allowing Matthews to lead the league in goals

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I’ll take Marner here. He catches flak on this site for being so highly paid even from leaf fans who believe Nylander is better (somehow?).
There is a small number of Leafs fans on here who want to think there is some debate about Nylander being better, even though the majority of us see the positives both of them bring to the team.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
There is a small number of Leafs fans on here who want to think there is some debate about Nylander being better, even though the majority of us see the positives both of them bring to the team.
Well obviously they are both good players but I think people who are arguing Nylander over Marner are just trying too hard to be different

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
This is a fun bump. Fast forward 2 years and Svech is on his new contract but hasn't progressed as much as many thought he would. How do people feel about this comparison now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad