Marner vs Andrei Svechnikov

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Marner vs Svechnikov

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If we can take their contracts out of the evaluation then it’s by far Marner. I like Svechnikov too, especially his toughness. But MM is a very special player.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
because one is a leaf and the other isnt
That is a bit disingenuous, no?

While there are a few odd claims, clearly SALARY is a massive difference (Marner is being paid an absurd $15 Million this season. His cap hit is $10 Million more than Svechnikov) between the two and a legit reason to choose Svechnikov.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
That is a bit disingenuous, no?

While there are a few odd claims, clearly SALARY is a massive difference (Marner is being paid an absurd $15 Million this season. His cap hit is $10 Million more than Svechnikov) between the two and a legit reason to choose Svechnikov.
absolutely, there are many reasons to take Andrei here. I was quoting the poster asking why it should be a blowout. it shouldnt. and the poster who originally said that is probably the most anti-leaf poster on this forum. so im positive thats his reasoning (trolling).

I wouldnt be surprised if Svechnikov is better going forward. He has 40+ goal 90+ point potential. But the thing is Marner already is a 90 point player. Right now its Marner but wouldnt be surprised to see Svech pass him.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Marner is criminally under-rated around here. I understand if someone prefers Svech's size, goal scoring, physicality. But Marner is an elite 2 way winger, he can score and plays the PK, you can put him in any situation and he performs.

Reactions: Pyrophorus

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Do people think Marner is some one dimensional winger or something? The answer is Marner and the fact he is losing this poll is hilarious. I'm sure someone will try and say I havent watched Svech or something though!

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Close. Marner had 94 points in his draft +4 season and this is only svech's d+3 so he has another season to reach marners high. Doubt he gets 11 mil
Marner was selected in 2015 and Svechnikov was selected in 2018. Is there any point of brining up where they are in their Draft + number of seasons?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Do people think Marner is some one dimensional winger or something? The answer is Marner and the fact he is losing this poll is hilarious. I'm sure someone will try and say I havent watched Svech or something though!
I guess Marner needed to lose something because he's winning that other poll against Pettersson and we can't have any Leafs players winning more than 1 poll on here.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Marner pretty easily is better.

Haah, I was thinking Kyle Connor was going to be better than Marner too, but definitely doesn't look to be the case(Although Connor's really good himself). Not sure whether Svech's overrated or Marner underrated.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Didn't mean to hurt your feelings. Marner is a great player. I'll take Svechnikov.
Hurt my feelings lol? Bold of you to think I care that much about your opinion on Marner.

It's widely uneducated and it's quite obvious you either;
A) don't watch him play
B) Dont know shit about hockey.

Svechnikov is a great player on an ELC, i have no issue with someone taking him. Just absolutely hilarious to hear somebody call Mitch Marner a complimentary player :laugh:

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
absolutely, there are many reasons to take Andrei here. I was quoting the poster asking why it should be a blowout. it shouldnt. and the poster who originally said that is probably the most anti-leaf poster on this forum. so im positive thats his reasoning (trolling).

I wouldnt be surprised if Svechnikov is better going forward. He has 40+ goal 90+ point potential. But the thing is Marner already is a 90 point player. Right now its Marner but wouldnt be surprised to see Svech pass him.
I wonder how this poll would turn out if done AFTER Svechnikov signs his next contract?

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Marner is obviously better right now but why wouldn't you take the little worse player making 10mil less? What's the point of taking contracts into consideration when one is on their elc?
So Mackinon > McDavid for you?

Finlandia WOAT

No blocks, No slappers
May 23, 2010
I mean, this just proves you don't know how to evaluate defense. He had a high 5v5 GA/60 last year exclusively because his goalies put up a ridiculously horrendous 0.896 SV% at 5v5, not because he was bad defensively.

But in 18-19, a year he got the other end of the stick and posted a great .924% at 5v5, he still posted a pedestrian 2.62 GA/60. Meanwhile back in 19-20 his SCA/60 are middle of the pack on the Leafs, while his HDCA/60 are mid, leaning toward bottom- so it's not as if his line is an elite lockdown unit compared to the rest of his team. He did get unlucky in 19-20, but that itself is not evidence of elite defensive production (though to be fair it does help answer why some people think he's elite defensively even if his GA/60 was brutal).

To be clear, I didn't say he was bad defensively (seems to be middle of the pack perfectly ok tbh), I just wanted to know why someone could be considered elite defensively if they just put up the statline Marner did in 19-20. It's a bit odd, if a player who has never had an elite offensive season puts up a mediocre 30 points in 82 games, you wouldn't say he's elite offensively, context be damned, but people do this all the time when it comes to defensive production.

OTOH, wingers don't have much impact defensively, so being tied to the hip of the defensive black hole that is John Tavares may have something to do with it.

The myth that Marner is a two-way player needs to die

Honestly, it's the myth of the two way winger. Unless you're a HoF level player (ie Hossa), being a good defender on the wing is like being a good defender at 1st base. By far the least taxing defensive position.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Hurt my feelings lol? Bold of you to think I care that much about your opinion on Marner.

It's widely uneducated and it's quite obvious you either;
A) don't watch him play
B) Dont know shit about hockey.

Svechnikov is a great player on an ELC, i have no issue with someone taking him. Just absolutely hilarious to hear somebody call Mitch Marner a complimentary player :laugh:
Is Kelly a boys name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad