Marner vs Andrei Svechnikov

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Marner vs Svechnikov

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
This is a fun bump. Fast forward 2 years and Svech is on his new contract but hasn't progressed as much as many thought he would. How do people feel about this comparison now?

I love this bump, and I love reading through all the terrible takes.

Threads like this prove my hypothesis that the average HFboards poster doesn’t know shit about hockey.

Star comparison for the first 6 years of both players careers:

The only thing Svechnikov has proven to be better than Marner is at taking penalties. He still has a cheap contract though, turns out he wasn’t worth the big pay day due to his performance.

Svechnikov isn’t even a ppg player

Here hfboards, hold this L

Last edited:

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Marner in a down year is better than Svech's peak

Difference b/w them is difference between Mcdavid and Marner.

Huge
I dont know about the difference between them being similar to the difference between McDavid and Marner... that gap is a lot bigger.

That said, Svech was trending to be truly elite and just didnt. At this point its a hilarious comparison for sure, but McDavid stomps Marner. Guy had 153 points last year...thats 54 points more than Marners best. Really dont think there is a 54 point gap between Mitch and Svech.

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
I dont know about the difference between them being similar to the difference between McDavid and Marner... that gap is a lot bigger.

That said, Svech was trending to be truly elite and just didnt. At this point its a hilarious comparison for sure, but McDavid stomps Marner. Guy had 153 points last year...thats 54 points more than Marners best. Really dont think there is a 54 point gap between Mitch and Svech.

Actually last 3 seasons PPG wise McDavid is 35% better than Marner and Marner is 38% better than Svech.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Actually last 3 seasons PPG wise McDavid is 35% better than Marner and Marner is 38% better than Svech.
Percentages aren't always appropriate. The marginal difficulty of putting up points is much higher the further you get from the mean.

Is someone putting up 70 goals as similar to someone scoring 50 goals as a player scoring 5 is to someone scoring 7? It's the same percentage!!

The 54 points McDavid put up more than Mitch in 2 more games is more impressive than the 44 points in 16 games Mitch put up over Svechnikov.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Threads like this prove my hypothesis that the average HFboards poster doesn’t know shit about hockey.
I don't know about that......I mean, you can be the most knowledgeable person in the history of the world as it relates to hockey and still not be able to predict the future in terms of a player. I mean, there are methods to use and some are better than others, but it does simply come down to not really knowing how one player might progress vs. another. The older they get the easier obviously....but starting at 18 it is incredibly difficult.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I don't know about that......I mean, you can be the most knowledgeable person in the history of the world as it relates to hockey and still not be able to predict the future in terms of a player. I mean, there are methods to use and some are better than others, but it does simply come down to not really knowing how one player might progress vs. another. The older they get the easier obviously....but starting at 18 it is incredibly difficult.

Sounds reasonable. But show me a poll on this website with a leaf player in it that the leaf player has won.

I’ll wait. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, right?

Then rethink why what you’re saying **sounds** reasonable, but things are just different for the leafs on here

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
OP asked to take contracts into consideration. Svech has been over $3 mil cheaper every year since 21-22 and that number will presumably increase 2 seasons from now (for 4 more seasons!) when Marner is on his next contract.

Svech doesn’t have to be near Marner’s point production to be the more desirable asset, then or now.

Reactions: geehaad

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
Marner slightly outscores Svech but it's understandable given Svech just returned after a bad injury. Svech, on the other hand, is younger, cheaper, more physically imposing and not soft. Not close at all.

Glacious

Dec 28, 2009
Marner slightly outscores Svech but it's understandable given Svech just returned after a bad injury. Svech, on the other hand, is younger, cheaper, more physically imposing and not soft. Not close at all.
I think you might be slightly understating the difference in production here.

Marner has 3 90 point seasons (and is pacing for another one). Svech has yet to hit 70 in any season (and is pacing just under 70 this year considering time missed). I know Svech has missed a bunch of games with injuries but that's not exactly an argument in his favour either.

This also ignores any defensive/PK considerations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad