Marner Predictions - What Happens Now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Happens With Marner Now

• Total voters

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Can call it reasonable all you want, nothing shows this guy being worth anywhere near that kind of number.

Bro doesnt have a single individual award, never eclipsed 100 points, brutal in the playoffs, but somehow thinks he should be paid like all those other guys :laugh:

If i was doin the negotiations I would have trouble holding back a laugh
Then laugh. If I’m Marner, Toronto pays 1-2 million more per season than other teams. That’s with signing bonuses.

Once again, no quote from Friedman.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
To stay in Toronto 13x8 is a reasonable ask. If they accept it, he’s set, if not, he signs on July 1 somewhere else, and probably for less.
Marner needs a huge pay cut.
Not a raise.

He literally didn't live up to his first contract.

Tre isn't signing.

Reactions: rumman

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
Then laugh. If I’m Marner, Toronto pays 1-2 million more per season than other teams. That’s with signing bonuses.
He's Columbus bound. He can score fancy goals on sleepy regular season Tuesday nights to keep season ticket holders happy.

Of course he's getting less elsewhere BECAUSE he didn't live up to his first contract.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I'm already laughing and can only hope that at least some people part of this management group would laugh at that request too. Theres no way he would fetch anywhere near that in FA too so he would just be costing himself more money at that point. If you don't want to be here, then dont be here. What an awful mindset to instill in your players that if you dont want to be here, we will over pay to keep you.

The ego on this guy is insane if he honestly believes hes worth that....

1725538989185.png

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Marner needs a huge pay cut.
Not a raise.

He literally didn't live up to his first contract.

Tre isn't signing.
If I’m Marner, none of that matters. If Toronto wants me to play and represent them for 8 more years, the AAV starts with 13. Otherwise, I move on.

He's Columbus bound. He can score fancy goals on sleepy regular season Tuesday nights to keep season ticket holders happy.

Of course he's getting less elsewhere BECAUSE he didn't live up to his first contract.
He’ll get his market value, somewhere between 11.5 and 12.5.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I'm already laughing and can only hope that at least some people part of this management group would laugh at that request too. Theres no way he would fetch anywhere near that in FA too so he would just be costing himself more money at that point. If you don't want to be here, then dont be here. What an awful mindset to instill in your players that if you dont want to be here, we will over pay to keep you.

The ego on this guy is insane if he honestly believes hes worth that....

View attachment 905184
He’s worth what someone pays him.

Chief Leaf

Dec 10, 2009
Marner should try to emulate Dougie Gilmour, and in his honour, do a $9.3 mil deal on an 8 year contract. Be a hero on and off the ice. Still a ton of cash but even agents would never go that route.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
If I’m Marner, none of that matters. If Toronto wants me to play and represent them for 8 more years, the AAV starts with 13. Otherwise, I move on.

Tre picked Nylander. Over Marner. The team has already moved on. Why don't people want to believe it ?

The writing was on the wall when they signed Nylander.

Marner has no choice to just play the season out, because the Leafs aren't resigning.

Marner should try to emulate Dougie Gilmour, and in his honour, do a $9.3 mil deal on an 8 year contract. Be a hero on and off the ice. Still a ton of cash but even agents would never go that route.

Something like that is his only hope of staying. I doubt he's interested.

I'm playing him as a driver of the third line and quarterback of PP2.

We can see his worth then.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Tbh I think Marner’s and Tavares’s struggles also help with that, it takes attention away from Matthews lowkey disappointing playoffs (yet again).

Matthews gets less heat because those guys performed so badly, and he also had an assist in game 7, whereas Marner and Tavares couldn’t get anything on the board.
Agree, with the C now, there's no where to hide and I suspect this is why Tre pushed it, he wants Matthews to assert himself as the leader.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
For clarity maybe one of the frothers can highlight where Freidman quotes Marner asking for 14.

He basically just says the Drais signing will change up the market and push certain dudes asks higher.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Tre picked Nylander. Over Marner. The team has already moved on. Why don't people want to believe it ?

The writing was on the wall when they signed Nylander.

Marner has no choice to just play the season out, because the Leafs aren't resigning.

Something like that is his only hope of staying. I doubt he's interested.

I'm playing him as a driver of the third line and quarterback of PP2.

We can see his worth then.
We don’t know that. If that’s the case, why wouldn’t Marner request a trade?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

He basically just says the Drais signing will change up the market and push certain dudes asks higher.
Who says Drais signing will change the market and push certain dudes ask higher? They use Friedman’s name, but they don’t quote him. If all you have is that writing ( whatever it is), you have assume Friedman didn’t say any of that.

Reactions: francis246

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Columbus is a great example. Great place to live, historically the same opportunity to win, but with none of the hassle of living and playing in Toronto.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
He will test free agency.
He knows what he’ll get. If the decision was made, it would be best for all parties to sign and trade. Negotiate an 8 yr deal in July and be done with it.

It’s fairly obvious to me that decision has not been made.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The only thing we know for certain is that the player doesn't want to leave, everything else is just fantasy.
You'd have to be an idiot to believe he's looking for 14 million.

There were a couple times in the past when he was advised to leave but the player has no interest in that.
Perhaps that thought will change this season.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
14 million!?? Wouldn’t be surprised at all if that’s what this selfish, egotistical loser is demanding.

He doesn’t even deserve the 11 he’s getting right now though lmfao. I guess god boy forgot that Draisaitl doesn’t turn into a huge bitch in the playoffs when even contemplating demanding that amount.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Can call it reasonable all you want, nothing shows this guy being worth anywhere near that kind of number.

Bro doesnt have a single individual award, never eclipsed 100 points, brutal in the playoffs, but somehow thinks he should be paid like all those other guys :laugh:

If i was doin the negotiations I would have trouble holding back a laugh

I hate how people use the never eclipsed 100 points against Marner, if not for injury he 100% would have eclipsed 100 points twice. Say what you want but he’s an 100 point guy for sure. His reg season was way better than a guy like Matthew Tkachuk for example last year. Tkachuk had 88 points in 80 games. Marner had 85 in 69 and you honestly think he wouldn’t have eclipsed 100? Give me a break man. Both sides in this thread have been crazy. Maybe Marner isn’t your cup of tea but stop trying to diminish him as a player. He’s a hell of a talent. Our cap structure makes it tough to fit him in but we as a fan base are idiotic. We have 3 amazing players yet we choose to shit on them. It makes zero sense.

I completely understand the cap situation and how having the three will be challenging. However I can’t help but feel, the day any 3 of these guys leave and we have a guy like Bobby McMann struggling on line 1 everyone will realize how much we take them for granted. Ask any fan base who has lost a talent in their prime how that feels. It’s not a good one.

Marner isn’t signing with Columbus lol

Reactions: bax and ACC1224

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I hate how people use the never eclipsed 100 points against Marner, if not for injury he 100% would have eclipsed 100 points twice. Say what you want but he’s an 100 point guy for sure. His reg season was way better than a guy like Matthew Tkachuk for example last year. Tkachuk had 88 points in 80 games. Marner had 85 in 69 and you honestly think he wouldn’t have eclipsed 100? Give me a break man. Both sides in this thread have been crazy. Maybe Marner isn’t your cup of tea but stop trying to diminish him as a player. He’s a hell of a talent. Our cap structure makes it tough to fit him in but we as a fan base are idiotic. We have 3 amazing players yet we choose to shit on them. It makes zero sense.

I completely understand the cap situation and how having the three will be challenging. However I can’t help but feel, the day any 3 of these guys leave and we have a guy like Bobby McMann struggling on line 1 everyone will realize how much we take them for granted. Ask any fan base who has lost a talent in their prime how that feels. It’s not a good one.

Marner isn’t signing with Columbus lol
3 AMAZING players and yet 1 playoff series win in 8 years :laugh:

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
3 AMAZING players and yet 1 playoff series win in 8 years :laugh:

Yeah well that’s how shit goes sometimes. Lots of superstars and hall of famers do not have Stanley cups and it shouldn’t and doesn’t take away from what they’ve accomplished in their careers.

Also people need to stop crying. These guys are 27/28 years old. They are not 35. They can still win a cup. It’s not over for them. Ovechkin won his at 33, Yzerman in his 30’s and there’s others who grinded it out with their teams. Yeah would it have been nice for them to grab one earlier? Sure, but all hope isn’t lost. I don’t blame you if you choose to be apathetic to the team (even though I think it’s a shitty way to be a fan LMAO), but I think these guys will eventually get over the hump, might take some time maybe it’s just 2 of them still here when it happens. Who knows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad