Marner Predictions - What Happens Now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Happens With Marner Now

• Total voters

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Ex-Maple Leaf Jay Rosehill made a very bold statement about Mitch Marner this week and also took a subtle shot at his dad, Paul Marner and agent, Darren Ferris.​

Mitch Marner is set to enter the final season of his current contract and according to thelatest update from Chris Johnston, he will be doing so without an extension in place.
The Leafs are taking the same approach they took with William Nylander last season before he signed an extension, wanting Marner to show that he can elevate his game before committing to a long-term deal.

"I think the guy is going to break 100 points this year. I think he's going to play with a chip on his shoulder. He's a pretty good player, he's just missing that special sauce that everyone is craving in Toronto and that's playoff performance. He's this big stud who needs to put the team on his back and he just hasn't done it. But I think he's going to have that chip on his shoulder. He's going to come out of the gates hot. It is absolutely still a contract year for him and he wants to get the bag and he wants to be a stud. He's going to have every motivation in the world to go absolutely hammer down this season. I think he's going to do it and I think he's going to put up 100 points."

While Rosehill believes Marner will finally break the 100-point mark, he said what we are all thinking, in that regular season success means absolutely nothing this year. He also fired a shot at Marner's agent, Darren Ferris, and his dad, Paul Marner.

"I hope that he has matured enough to realize that nobody here gives a s**t [about the regular season]. The only people that give a s**t about your regular season are you and your agent, and your dad probably."

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I’ll use Goals to determine elite shooting, Thank you.

I’m also aware of the open net, goalie out of position goals Marner gets.

He can slide the puck on the ice.

So you're sticking with the you'd prefer Marner to take shots away from Matthews narrative? For Marner to score more he needs to pass to Matty less, which means Matty takes less shots. You're good with that approach? What are you paying Matty for?

Marner is the only player to score open net goals? Why is the net open anyway?

Every player can slide the puck on the ice, it is called a pass, deflection or a shot. That is kind of beginners level hockey school, no?

Ex-Maple Leaf Jay Rosehill made a very bold statement about Mitch Marner this week and also took a subtle shot at his dad, Paul Marner and agent, Darren Ferris.​

Mitch Marner is set to enter the final season of his current contract and according to thelatest update from Chris Johnston, he will be doing so without an extension in place.
The Leafs are taking the same approach they took with William Nylander last season before he signed an extension, wanting Marner to show that he can elevate his game before committing to a long-term deal.

While Rosehill believes Marner will finally break the 100-point mark, he said what we are all thinking, in that regular season success means absolutely nothing this year. He also fired a shot at Marner's agent, Darren Ferris, and his dad, Paul Marner.

I see your "Pair of 2's" Rosehill comment, who never played with Mitch + the last game he played in the NHL was 2013-14, with a ROR "Royal Flush" comment who played with Mitch and had glowing things to say about him... ;)

Last edited:

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I’ll use Goals to determine elite shooting, Thank you.

I’m also aware of the open net, goalie out of position goals Marner gets.

He can slide the puck on the ice.

The core doesn’t work.

You don’t pretend you are getting results when you aren’t.

Change is needed and Marner’s cap space is where the money will come from.

It’s not hard.

Why does it come from Marner? JT's contract is gone that is 11 mil, lots you can do with that money, sounds more like a hopin' and a dreamin' than factually based opinions TBH.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I think Marner leads the team in points this coming season and signs an extension at some point.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

This media is such a joke man. I cant wait to see all the constant puff pieces on Mitch Marner all year long to try and act like this man will be worth whatever the Leafs management group caves and gives him.
"Worth less or more"

Well he obviously ain't f***ing worth more, everyone should know that.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Good take really, and it's the reality. Sure, he's a regular season stud, and hasn't found a way yet to elevate his game when it counts.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Absurb take, but even if Marner slapped a puck into his own net. You would say it wasnt his fault.

I'm going to focus on discussions with others. I'll keep posting photos—and eventually videos, as requested—of Marner's terrible play for you to enjoy. Meanwhile, you can stay in your fantasy world, accusing others of misrepresenting posts while YOU are deleting sections of others quoted posts in your responses. You have paychological projection issues:

Projection is a psychological defense mechanism where someone attributes their own unwanted feelings, thoughts, or traits to another person. For example, if someone is feeling insecure, they might accuse others of being insecure to deflect attention away from their own feelings. It’s a way to avoid confronting uncomfortable emotions or flaws by seeing them in someone else instead.

Fun... can I play this game too ... ?

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people with limited competence in a particular domain overestimate their abilities. It was first described by Justin Kruger and David Dunning in 1999.

Not sure what paychologial means? Is that term in year 6 of your Doctorate in clinical psychology Dr. Antro?

Do you seek out the dumbest takes on the situation you can find or are they just delivered daily to your inbox?

giphy.gif

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Fun... can I play this game too ... ?

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people with limited competence in a particular domain overestimate their abilities. It was first described by Justin Kruger and David Dunning in 1999.

Not sure what paychologial means? Is that term in year 6 of your Doctorate in clinical psychology Dr. Antro?
Do you have an example of me showing this Dunning-Kruger effect, or are you just throwing out random accusations? Or are you referring to my opinions on Marner, which plenty of others have supported—disproving your claim?

Attacking spelling mistakes on a hockey message board—good grief. Nothing screams "I don't have a life" more than that.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada

Is 100 points even that impressive? Seriously, for the cap hit he’s had over the past number of years and the opportunity he’s got to play with Matthews, 100 points is the absolute bare minimum this guy should be putting up.

For all the talk about his poor playoff performances (and rightfully so), he hasn’t even lived up to his current contract in the regular season.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Do you have an example of me showing this Dunning-Kruger effect, or are you just throwing out random accusations? Or are you referring to my opinions on Marner, which plenty of others have supported—disproving your claim?

Attacking spelling mistakes on a hockey message board—good grief. Nothing screams "I don't have a life" more than that.
I hope this isn’t the case, I’m dyslexic, have bad eyesight and have thick fingers, none of which makes for good spelling in my posts especially on my phone, which is most of the time……..

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I don't really care how "challenging" you think it is. A blind backhand backwards pass through somebody to the blueline is not a particularly dangerous play, and it's not really what a PK is protecting against. His stick was on the left side for all of one second while he's pushing the player to the corner, and intentional or not, it helped protect against forehand options and the pass back to Pastrnak on his left. Marner brings it to the right side of the player and hits the opposing stick as the puck is passed. In the end, none of this really matters to the goal anyway.
"A blind backhand backwards pass through somebody ... is not a particularly dangerous play".

That says just about all anyone needs to know about your understanding of hockey.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Something that's interesting is.tbst there's almost no media chatter in terms of tangible tumors about things.

I won't be surprised if management has zero idea yet of what they actually want to do with him. I think as fans we'd always like to presume theirs a master strategy at play, but this doesn't seem like that's the case this time around.

And don't blink if they're still trying to make up their mind next June.
Was that intentional or Freudian? :huh::laugh:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

Sportsnet's Luke Fox has revealed why it's highly unlikely that we see Mitch Marner end up with a contract extension before or during the 2024-25 season.​

Marner and the Leafs have been eligible to begin negotiating a new contract since July 1st, but neither side has given the media anything in terms of what may or may not be going on behind the scenes this summer.

For Marner, this next contract has the potential to be the last big money deal of his career if he goes for the full 8-year term. For the Leafs, the question of whether or not they want to commit to the type of term and dollars that Marner will be demanding having endured several unproductive postseasons from the star winger.​
I would dispute the term 'revealed', as there doesn't seem to be anything new or insider - he's really just repeating what a lot of people have already figured is the most likely situation.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Is 100 points even that impressive? Seriously, for the cap hit he’s had over the past number of years and the opportunity he’s got to play with Matthews, 100 points is the absolute bare minimum this guy should be putting up.

For all the talk about his poor playoff performances (and rightfully so), he hasn’t even lived up to his current contract in the regular season.
Kucherov put up 100 assists last year for TB and he makes $9.5 mil AAV.

1725565959109.png

If Marner would be able to match that play-making performance by posting 100 assists playing alongside the BEST goal scorer on the planet then I suppose Leaf Nation would support a contract similar to Kucherov who is very likely the BEST right winger in the game today.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

View attachment 905307

If Marner would be able to match that play-making performance by posting 100 assists playing alongside the BEST goal scorer on the planet then I suppose Leaf Nation would support a contract similar to Kucherov who is very likely the BEST right winger in the game today.
+8 with 144 points is impressive.....that must be some kind of record?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
"A blind backhand backwards pass through somebody ... is not a particularly dangerous play".
That says just about all anyone needs to know about your understanding of hockey.
Weird how you replaced the "to the blueline" in my quote with "...". Why do you believe the blueline is such a high danger area? Why do you think that a pass being blind, backhand, backwards, and through traffic makes it more likely to succeed? Those are quite unique positions.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada

View attachment 905307

Well Kucherov is definitely a bit of an anomaly so maybe not fair to compare the two. With that being said, that 9.5 mark is probably what he’s been worth, but considering he was an RFA, we should have played hard ball and got it down a bit more.

There are just a number of players who make similar money and who perform better, or players who make less and perform similarly.

I just don’t buy people acting like 100 points is “coming out hot”. Mitch is a 100 point player next to Matthews already (outside of injuries) but still overpaid and certainly wouldn’t deserve a raise.

Reactions: francis246

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
"Worth less or more"

Well he obviously ain't f***ing worth more, everyone should know that.
Ya, what a pile of nonsense that guy asking is Marner worth more

Well Kucherov is definitely a bit of an anomaly so maybe not fair to compare the two. With that being said, that 9.5 mark is probably what he’s been worth, but considering he was an RFA, we should have played hard ball and got it down a bit more.

There are just a number of players who make similar money and who perform better, or players who make less and perform similarly.

I just don’t buy people acting like 100 points is “coming out hot”. Mitch is a 100 point player next to Matthews already (outside of injuries) but still overpaid and certainly wouldn’t deserve a raise.
Mitch is a 99 point players

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018

View attachment 905307

According to this logic, McDavid is 3m overpaid. Somebody should break the news to Edmonton...

...Or maybe that's not how contracts work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad