Salary Cap: Marner Deal Discussion Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
While I do agree with you, I have to admire the new generation for putting the players first. Why is there an unknown rule that states young hockey players shouldn't get paid properly? Why do UFA players get paid a **** ton more money than young hockey stars hitting their peaks? What makes Matthews more selfish than Tavares? What makes Marner more selfish than Tavares? What makes Nylander more selfish than Tavares, or any other UFA star signing for **** ton of money?

It's not selfish, it's putting the player's needs ahead of the team needs. Hockey players get paid nothing compared to other leagues. It is supply and demand, but owners make WAY too much money compared to the players.

Hopefully star players demanding **** ton of money forces the league to increase cap-size.
Putting your needs ahead of someone or something else, for profit. I believe that's the exact definition of selfish.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Marner has the right to ask for what he wants. The Leafs have the right to say no thank you and move on.
Nylander's camp kept quiet during negotiations, but it seems Marner's wants to play games through the media

Reactions: AreBe

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
Were Tavares, Marner, and Nylander unselfish in your opinion?
They are all selfish in one way or another. The second you believe you need to "get what you're worth" you have put yourself ahead of the team.

That said, this is the "new way" of doing things and the value of experience has been minimized.

Reactions: AreBe

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
I'm not sure the offer sheet is going to happen based on a team giving up 4 first round picks.

I haven't done the research but I seem to believe (from reading on here) that there were only a handful of teams who had all of their first round picks for the next 4 years. And of those teams, most of them were mid level to bottom feeding teams. If Mitch is enticed by going to a bottom feeder, then so be it...

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
sorry if this has been done already, what teams could realistically make an offer sheet that are good enough that you're worried about not getting at least a couple of top 10 picks as compensation?

A few teams who could like Columbus & SJ don't have their 1st round picks, so they're out

Colorado - who will have to deal with both Makar & whoever they select with the 4OA to deal with in a couple of years, so they may be weary of an offer sheet war
Florida - where whatever Marner makes in endorsements drops dramatically
Buffalo - who will have Dahlin to deal with in a couple of years, so they may be weary of starting an offer sheet war
maybe Dallas? - who will have to be weary of offer sheets for Heiskanen in a couple of years
NYI - with Barzal & Pulock to deal with next year and a slough of good prospects after, so may be weary of the offer sheet war, and honestly I don't know if that's enough star power to make them a contender even with Marner
Carolina - with Aho this year and Svechnikov in 2, ditto

but personally, if any of Ottawa, NJ, Philly, Vancouver, Minnesota, NYR, Arizona want to try, their 4 x 1st should be a hell of a bounty especially with fitting in a Marner contract that we think is too much to match

Last edited:

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
FWIW, someone with deep connections to the game and has an ear of many GM's (I'm not going to say who because some of you will instantly reject it with "well he's an idiot") was on the radio this morning and said that Mitch Marner IS worth the 4 first round picks and $11M salary and said that the Rangers (hypothetically) could be a team that does this because they have loads of cap space and stock piled tons of picks as currency.

But just dismiss this guys, not happening.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Dreger is a fear monger.
I don't believe for a second that Mitch has any intention of signing an offer sheet, nor that we'd allow it to get that far.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I think some of you in this thread severely underappreciate how rare Auston Matthews actually is as a hockey player.

How many players go #1 overall, come into the league very next season, and then over the course of their ELC go on to be the most productive goal scorer in the entire league. Then consider how few of those near him got less powerplay opportunity or predominantly played 2nd powerplay unit, OR played on a regular line for their first 2 years with no linemate more experienced than themself, or how many of the players in question were centers, who are far more commonly playmakers instead of shooters... even fewer of which 6'3" 220lbs.

To be honest, Matthews is a player who doesn't exactly have a real comparable.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
FWIW, someone with deep connections to the game and has an ear of many GM's (I'm not going to say who because some of you will instantly reject it with "well he's an idiot") was on the radio this morning and said that Mitch Marner IS worth the 4 first round picks and $11M salary and said that the Rangers (hypothetically) could be a team that does this because they have loads of cap space and stock piled tons of picks as currency.

When you have all the leverage no RFA should get $11M unless your name is Connor McDavid or you are negotiating with a novice. "Teams" win Stanley Cups and if you pay 4 forwards close to 50% of your cap you cannot build a team. Mitch may have to look elsewhere if he wants more than Kucherov money.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

I've floated the NYR myself on this board idea as the biggest OS threat as they have the will to make a splash on braodway, the desire to be a Stanley Cup playoff team, the means $$$ and have loaded up on recent high picks and will have the #2 this year adding young Finish stud Kappo Kakko.

NY might also be among the few teams the Marner's (parents Paul and Bonnie included) might endorse the idea of signing an offersheet to play there as the money would validate the move.

Last edited:

HeroNtF

Jul 9, 2012
Why wouldnt he listen to the other teams offers, sign with the leafs for a bit less, leak the news report that he took less to stay with leafs, he looks like a hero, leafs look like they got him on a good deal, then all is well in leaf land.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I've floated the NYR myself on this board idea as the biggest OS threat as they have the will to make a splash on braodway, the desire to be a Stanley Cup playoff team, the means $$$ and have loaded up on recent high picks and will have the #2 this year adding young Finish stud Kappo Kakko.

NY might also be among the few teams the Marner's (parents included) might endorse the idea of signing an offersheet to play there as the money would validate the move.

Senators make more sense to me.

Do they have their 1st. rounders in 22 and 23?

Sure the return for the Leafs could be good, but the return for the Senators would be Marner.

And it would be "putting it to the Leafs."

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I'm not sure the offer sheet is going to happen based on a team giving up 4 first round picks.

I haven't done the research but I seem to believe (from reading on here) that there were only a handful of teams who had all of their first round picks for the next 4 years. And of those teams, most of them were mid level to bottom feeding teams. If Mitch is enticed by going to a bottom feeder, then so be it...

According to capfriendly every team can meet the requirements of having their own 1st rounds picks available for all of the required 4 years of 2020-2023.

Reactions: ULF_55

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
According to capfriendly every team can meet the requirements of having their own 1st rounds picks available for all of the required 4 years of 2020-2023.

Columbus conditionally own their own 1st., not sure of other conditional picks out there.

More it is about Cap space, and if Marner would actually want to sign there.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Senators make more sense to me.

Do they have their 1st. rounders in 22 and 23?

Sure the return for the Leafs could be good, but the return for the Senators would be Marner.

And it would be "putting it to the Leafs."

Do you think Eugene is willing to sign a contract of that size, front-loaded with big signing bonuses?

Reactions: OddyOh

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Columbus conditionally own their own 1st., not sure of other conditional picks out there.

More it is about Cap space, and if Marner would actually want to sign there.

As far as I know the only way that Ottawa would received Columbus's first round pick for 202o, instead of 2019, was if Columbus's 2019 first rounder was a top-3 pick. So Columbus making the playoffs removed the conditions on the pick and guaranteed that their first round pick this year goes to Ottawa and they keep their first round pick next year.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I think they'll go either 4 years or 7 years for Marner. 4 years would put him as the only big contract that year, with Rielly extended the year before. A 7 year deal brings him to 2 years after Nylander and Matthews, 1 year after Tavares. Though of course, they could go six years if they think that Tavares will either be gone at that point or have declined enough that he can be available cheap.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Gotta be one of the most overrated players in the league. 10.5M for him is a joke. Leafs are better off trading him.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Oh, well if "someone" said it then it must be true. How could I dismiss that?

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
None of this should come as a surprise. This won't get done unless the terms are comparable to Matthews' contract. We can only hope that we get more term on Marner's deal.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Are there any good sources on how much Marner makes in endorsements?

Forbes thinks McDavid and Crosby each make about $4m/year in endorsements and Tavares makes $1.4m/year which could have climbed this season.

Off course we don't have access to the exact dollar figure, but right now, I have a can of Red Bull with Mitch's face on it sitting in my fridge, and hardly a day goes by that I don't see an ad with Marner's face on it on my tv.

His current list of sponsors includes:

Visa
GoodFood
Intact
Red Bull
Chevrolet
Amazon (Alexa)
Beats by Dre
Call of Duty
Bulova
American Express
True Hockey

And this is now, when the Leafs are still yet to win a playoff round in more than a decade. Imagine his sponsorship dollars when the team actually wins?

Reactions: OddyOh
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad