Salary Cap: Marner contract signing watch discussion.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
We don't know how things really played out. However, if Dubas didn't offer them 6-8 year deals at a reasonable cap hit last summer than that's a problem. Does Nylander still play hardball with Matthews and Marner locked up? Maybe but even then after the holdout, we'd have him back ay 6.9 or better.
We knew that we wouldn't negotiate in season. We knew-or most knew-that every indication was Marner was set for a monster year, particularly when we were told in July JT was playing with the kid. You didn't have to be a genius to see his numbers continuing from last year second half, again adding a JT where he had a Bozak. So we did know things, and we chose not to act accordingly. In my mind, when faced with the Nylander situation he had to prioritize, get Marner signed before the season then deal with Nylander. Instead we clung to an off season strategy that was unravelling. As soon as it became apparent Willie was dragging on, you move to Marner because you're lost once the season starts.

Last edited:

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Anyone thinking that a team grabbing Marner would be anywhere near being a bottom team with him playing there for a year, needs a reality check

Good point. The teams with McDavid, Eichel, Hall and Eichel all finished nowhere near the bottom 7 this season.

Reactions: AreBe

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Dubas has an out. Get rid of the Marleau, Nylader and Zaitsev contracts before July 1st. We are about to find out how smart/dumb our GM is and how screwed this team will be cap wise.
There is an out. Losing Marner is the last option I entertain.

Reactions: diceman934

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm not seeing how Marner will be able to parachute into another organization with both a) the cap space and b) a better center than Tavares and expect to have serious success with that organization tying up the salary they give Marner plus giving away 4 first rounders to Toronto. Nor will he like it as much there.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
Sad that Shanny finally got it right and now let it go south due to cap issues.

I've come to learn that certain individuals are the right person for certain stages of a hockey team.

Shanahan was the perfect individual when he got hired, had the vision and convincing prowess to start the rebuild, hire the right personals.

His lack of experience as a president has been pretty obvious thus far in the last year or so.

He talked a big talk about needing players to buy in, but in reality, he himself had no clue what that culture was about.

So in retrospect, I guess I shouldn't be shocked that both Shanny and Dubas shit the bed with contracts. Neither had experience of managerial or player experience of being a ruthless negotiator or buying in as a player.

Reactions: ToneDog

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I've come to learn that certain individuals are the right person for certain stages of a hockey team.

Shanahan was the perfect individual when he got hired, had the vision and convincing prowess to start the rebuild, hire the right personals.

His lack of experience as a president has been pretty obvious thus far in the last year or so.

He talked a big talk about needing players to buy in, but in reality, he himself had no clue what that culture was about.

So in retrospect, I guess I shouldn't be shocked that both Shanny and Dubas **** the bed with contracts. Neither had experience of managerial or player experience of being a ruthless negotiator or buying in as a player.
"shit the bed" you say? OK ..What would you have done? What options are you seeing that they didn't?

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
"**** the bed" you say? OK ..What would you have done? What options are you seeing that they didn't?

What else would you call all our overpayments then?

Well Dubas himself has admitted he took it for granted the negotiations, thinking everything will just work out. That's from his own mouth.

What would I have done? For one, not overpaid Nylander. I've had that stance from the very start. If the trade offers were of good value, traded him or let him sit out.

That would of set the tone and precedence. Not to mention, many people predicted Marner would of had a monster year playing with Tavares. I would of been very aggressive in locking up Marner in the off season.

Then once I had locked up Marner, either Nylander sit out or traded him, I wouldn't rush to sign Matthews unless I got 7-8 years at his current salary.

Reactions: ACC1224 and ToneDog

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Well Dubas himself has admitted he took it for granted the negotiations, thinking everything will just work out. That's from his own mouth.

What would I have done? For one, not overpaid Nylander. I've had that stance from the very start. If the trade offers were of good value, traded him or let him sit out.

That would of set the tone and precedence. Not to mention, many people predicted Marner would of had a monster year playing with Tavares. I would of been very aggressive in locking up Marner in the off season.

Then once, I had locked up Marner, either Nylander sit out or traded him, I wouldn't rush to sign Matthews unless I got 7-8 years at his current salary.
Lol sign this guy up for GM it’s so easy

Reactions: NiftyMits and Mork

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
Lol sign this guy up for GM it’s so easy

Who said it's easy? The poster asked what I would of done, I detailed it.

I've been pretty consistent actually. Wanted Marner locked up in off season, knowing he was going to have monster year among many others here.

I'm been consistent from day one on the whole Nylander contract situation as well.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015

Then once I had locked up Marner, either Nylander sit out or traded him, I wouldn't rush to sign Matthews unless I got 7-8 years at his current salary.
What’s the plan for when Matthews sits out?

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018

Offers...Numbers...you're saying nothing...How much?
Willy is overpaid by how much? Matthews? what are ya gonna let him sit,maybe let him hit offer sheet status? Yeah,No! Marner wouldn't...got that...would not deal,you gonna trade him? Let's hear your genius ideas.

Xanner

Aug 2, 2009
Some on here keep mentioning that Nylander is overpaid, but i seriously don't understand what some here were expecting him to get after back to back 60 point seasons and with the cap rising to 79 mill, 6.5 per was the minimum he was going to get.

Reactions: Menzinger and AreBe

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
What’s the plan for when Matthews sits out?

How do you know he would sit out? Especially after having locked up Marner in the off season, Nylander signing for $6.5/sitting out/traded, I'm confident we could of gotten a better deal with him.

After the Nylander negotiations going until deadline to only overpay him, it changed everything. That's reality. All agents would be foolish if they didn't try to take Dubas to the wood shed.

Reactions: ToneDog

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
How do you know he would sit out? Especially after having locked up Marner in the off season, Nylander signing for $6.5/sitting out/traded, I'm confident we could of gotten a better deal with him.

After the Nylander negotiations going until deadline to only overpay him, it changed everything. That's reality. All agents would be foolish if they didn't try to take Dubas to the wood shed.
To get paid what he’s worth.
Marners camp said they wouldn’t negotiate until now.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
If I had to guess, Marner will end up between $9.7M and $9.3M on a 6-7 year deal. It's fair and definitely not a steal by any means.

He'll be around Kucherov and Stone but really shouldn't he making more than either guy.

Dreger is clearly pushing the weight for the Marner camp but the number he's throwing out don't make any sense.

Centers are just more valuable and goal scoring gets a premium as well which is why Matthews will be making almost $2M more.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
Offers...Numbers...you're saying nothing...How much?
Willy is overpaid by how much? Matthews? what are ya gonna let him sit,maybe let him hit offer sheet status? Yeah,No! Marner wouldn't...got that...would not deal,you gonna trade him? Let's hear your genius ideas.

Marner would be $8-8.5 x 6-8 years.
Nylander $6.5-6.6 x 6/7
Matthews at his current salary is fine but at 7/8 years.

I don't think anyone is getting offer sheeted, that is pure media driven scare tactics.

Wouldn't have gotten what? He wouldn't agreed or you wouldn't have signed him to $8.5? Because that's the number I remember hearing his agent offered. I know I'm seeing $9 now, but it was $8.5 in off season or training camp I recall.

Xanner

Aug 2, 2009
If I had to guess, Marner will end up between $9.7M and $9.3M on a 6-7 year deal. It's fair and definitely not a steal by any means.

He'll be around Kucherov and Stone but really shouldn't he making more than either guy.

Dreger is clearly pushing the weight for the Marner camp but the number he's throwing out don't make any sense.

Centers are just more valuable and goal scoring gets a premium as well which is why Matthews will be making almost $2M more.

Marner asking for 11+ makes no sense, a week ago i didn't think it was possible for marner to get traded out of T.O but after hearing some of these rumours i wouldn't be shocked. I don't know how marner thinks he deserves more then Ovi and Kuch right now. Imo his number right now should be 9 mill.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
To get paid what he’s worth.
Marners camp said they wouldn’t negotiate until now.

Actually Marner camp was willing to sign in the off season, it was leaked it was $8.5 for long term. Dubas rejected, then Marner camp said they won't negotiate during season.

Last edited:
Reactions: ACC1224
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad