Salary Cap: Marner contract signing watch discussion.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
The Leafs shouldn't have to and I'm in no way trying to diminish what Marner has accomplished

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
It could end up the signing of Tavares results in the departure of Marner for cap reasons.

An offersheet might be tough for the Leafs to match and fit into their cap.

Leafs essentially gave Marner's cap to JT and now Marner might end up being squeezed out.

77000 posts and they just keep on getting more ridiculous

Marner is going nowhere

Leafs would like him to sign for at least 9.5
He is asking for Matthews numbers which is 11.1
Do you really think Marner will be traded to save 1.5 million dollars.
If he signs for 10.5 do you really think if that causes a cap crunch that Marner will be traded.
There are lots of players to trade to become cap compliant and Marner 100 per cent will not be one of them

Reactions: diceman934

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Apparently most players do not prefer to play in Canada and hence why most of the Canadian teams appear on a players no trade list (according to Burke). As such it could be a reason why Marner gets more than Rantanan. The fact that Leafs print money and Avs do not could factor in as well. I won't mention that Rantenan is not negotiating against Dubas.
The Oilers got McDavid to a MUCH better sea than the leafs got Matthews. And it’s a city where players infamously always want out of.

I’m just fed up of the excuses. I think they’re all bullshit anyways. I think the main issue is a dubas is shit at his job.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
77000 posts and they just keep on getting more ridiculous

Marner is going nowhere

Leafs would like him to sign for at least 9.5
He is asking for Matthews numbers which is 11.1
Do you really think Marner will be traded to save 1.5 million dollars.
If he signs for 10.5 do you really think if that causes a cap crunch that Marner will be traded.
There are lots of players to trade to become cap compliant and Marner 100 per cent will not be one of them
I am beginning to suspect around a 9.8MM x 3 years coming. After 3 years, there will be all kinds angst about why the leafs are so bad at projecting Marner's points. I really don't care. Maximum contract will likely be set around 16.3MM after 3. If the leafs feel they can hold him to 14.3MM in the beginning of his prime, then Marner has established a similar contract to Matthews in the long run. If they can't, Marner will get paid more than Matthews over the 5.
Hate the contract because it is a clear overpay and unprecedented like Matthews but they can hardly claim they are worried he will break the bank after 3 and then turn around and say he isn't worth Matthews money.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Are we elite without Marner? With him were a first round out.
I don't think we're elite even with Marner.

Way too much money wrapped up in non-elite players.

I'd prefer to keep Marner and try to make it work ala the Penguins system (3 massive contracts taking up 40% of the cap), but the consolation prize is $10-12 mil in cap space and 4 1st round picks.
I'm fine with either way it pans out at this point.

Of course, what I would have prefered is Dubas getting all of these players under fair market value. But that ship has long ago sailed. So instead of the leafs being an utterly elite contending team for the next near decade, I'll now be happy being one of those teams that, while not elite, make the playoffs every year and hope for the stars to align. It's better than we've been for the past 15 years... so that's a positive I guess. But a gm that dramatically overpaids their star players will never put together a team with enough depth to be elite.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
If that were true then we wouldn’t need a salary cap. Players would negotiate based on their own teams...

We wouldnt have arbitration.

It’s not true at all.
Lol. Wrong. The salary cap is to deter the rich teams from spending to buy a team. It has nothing to do with internal team salary. All teams have an internal salary structure. Ours was put out of whack by the signing of JT and Nylander and Mathews contract. Your best players get paid the most. Each teams is structured that way when they negotiate contracts.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I'd give him the 1st best forward money on Toronto given he has won the last 2 scoring races.
That is the issue. It is our salary structure that is what Marner wants to be measured against. He out performed the highest paid players on the team this year and last season after Jan in actual scoring and ppg. He wants to be compensated the same.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Lol. Wrong. The salary cap is to deter the rich teams from spending to buy a team. It has nothing to do with internal team salary. All teams have an internal salary structure. Ours was put out of whack by the signing of JT and Nylander and Mathews contract. Your best players get paid the most. Each teams is structured that way when they negotiate contracts.

Like I said. If you really think that’s the way it works. Then you wouldn’t need a salary cap. Rich teams would have their own structure. Poor teams would have theirs. They wouldn’t matter.

But that’s not what happens. Because that’s dumb.

You don’t think players look around the league to determine value? Why are people comparing Matthews to mcdavid then? Why did doughty specifically say he was going to meet with Karlson and talk?

Why did Tkachuk talk about Matthews contract and how it would affect him?

Why do players leave as ufas? Can only the top leave?

When you go to arbitration, do you think they only look at their own teams?

Because mike Johnson went on the air and said his comparable was George’s laraque?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Like I said. If you really think that’s the way it works. Then you wouldn’t need a salary cap. Rich teams would have their own structure. Poor teams would have theirs. They wouldn’t matter.

But that’s not what happens. Because that’s dumb.

You don’t think players look around the league to determine value? Why are people comparing Matthews to mcdavid then? Why did doughty specifically say he was going to meet with Karlson and talk?

Why did Tkachuk talk about Matthews contract and how it would affect him?

Why do players leave as ufas? Can only the top leave?

When you go to arbitration, do you think they only look at their own teams?

Because mike Johnson went on the air and said his comparable was George’s laraque?

Lewis Gross said he was only using the Leafs salary structure in negotiating Nylander’s contract. Dubas should have held firm, but he didn’t.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Lewis Gross said he was only using the Leafs salary structure in negotiating Nylander’s contract. Dubas should have held firm, but he didn’t.

Lewis gross can say whatever he wants. Fact is agents don’t just decide what is comparable.

Regardless. Who was he comparing nylander too to get the contract?

Kadri?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
That is the issue. It is our salary structure that is what Marner wants to be measured against. He out performed the highest paid players on the team this year and last season after Jan in actual scoring and ppg. He wants to be compensated the same.

He can want that all he wants. But that’s not how the league works.

Players are compared across the league. Not just on your own team

Either way. If he wants to do that fine.
He gets paid as the teams third best forward

Because he is.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Lewis gross can say whatever he wants. Fact is agents don’t just decide what is comparable.

Regardless. Who was he comparing nylander too to get the contract?

Kadri?

They do get to decide and if the GM agreed he’s all set. As was the case with Nylander.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
He can want that all he wants. But that’s not how the league works.

Players are compared across the league. Not just on your own team

Either way. If he wants to do that fine.
He gets paid as the teams third best forward

Because he is.

Marner will demand as much the other 2 and Dubas will give him 10.916 for 5 yrs.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I don’t know, I don’t think they said.

So just to be clear. Your take is that the leafs And Lewis just decided to use team comparables that don’t exist.

And Nylander just happened to end up with a cap hit of 8.75 percent. Which was in line with other similar RFA wingers. And Exactly What several models using other teams Rfas
Predicted

That’s what you believe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad