Salary Cap: Marner contract signing watch discussion.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
No I think EK is going to get a Doughty deal.

Kick the tires on Stralman, Myers, Anders Lee, Brock Nelson, Skinner, Panarin, DZingel, ...

Some mid-tier players would help, and be kind of fun to bring Nelson or Lee into the fold to play with x-mate Tavares.

But I'm sure a reasonable deal can be made before July 1st., and if not then go shopping.

I dunno man a lot of those guys are either middle of the road players that often look like overpayment or are higher end players who will be looking for deals close to Marner.

We've been put in a really terrible position. You either pay Marner almost $3M more than you needed to, or you let him go to a competitor and get a potentially weak return and there arent the players available to drastically improve the team with the money saved.

Only hope would be to make dollar for dollar trades and add one or more of the picks to upgrade the position. Example Nylander plus a 1st gets you what type of D man? What about plus two 1sts?

But now you've gutted the forward depth so you'll have Matthews and Tavares flapping in the wind.

Not good.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Kucherov scored 41 goals 128 points and signed $9.5M x 8. Kuchi played with Stamkos.

I know taxes are a standard argument here but, the cap doesnt take into account taxes. So taxes shouldnt count. Taxes are the cost players have to pay for playing in Toronto.

Marner scored 26 goals and 94 points playing with Tavares.

if we use point production as a measure then Marner produced 73% of Kuchi. 73% of $9.5M is $6.97M (whoa! Willy money!?)

Heck, never mind my tax talk from before. lets cover the 13% Ontario income tax. That's $7.88M.

Now lets give him another $1 million because we wuuuuuuv him more than Tampa loves Kuchi.

Finally Dubas caves on term. so I say he'll get $9M x 4.

You read it here first.

Reactions: Lauro

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Kucherov scored 41 goals 128 points and signed $9.5M x 8. Kuchi played with Stamkos.

I know taxes are a standard argument here but, the cap doesnt take into account taxes. So taxes shouldnt count. Taxes are the cost players have to pay for playing in Toronto.

if we use point production as a measure then Marner produced 73% of Kuchi. 73% of $9.5M is $6.97M (whoa! Willy money!?)

Heck, never mind my tax talk from before. lets cover the 13% Ontario income tax. That's $7.88M.

Now lets give him another $1 million because we wuuuuuuv him more than Tampa loves Kuchi. And because

You read it here first.

You would be laughed at in a negotiation trying to use that logic.

I don't even think he takes a phone call for less than $10.5 and that might be only a 4 year deal.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Not with us..

But heck this is Dubas who's doing the negotiating, so I guess all bets are off.

Dubas didnt over pay. he just caves on term. $7M and $11.6M for Willy and Auston are reasonable number if the term was 7 or 8 years.

If we signed those guys for at that money for long term deals then we would be in the same cap predicament right now.
The problem was not the money. It's the term.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

Knightnight

Mar 18, 2014

Now lets give him another $1 million because we wuuuuuuv him more than Tampa loves Kuchi.

You read it here first.

Now do the same exercise based on Kuch makes more than Stamkos. Winger paid more than centre. So AM and JT should have made???? Based on Stamkos out scoring both AM and JT they should maybe have made 9 to 9.5?

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Dubas didnt over pay. he just caves on term. $7M and $11.6M for Willy and Auston are reasonable number if the term was 7 or 8 years.

If we signed those guys for at that money for long term deals then we would be in the same cap predicament right now.
The problem was not the money. It's the term.

That still means he overpaid.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
You would be laughed at in a negotiation trying to use that logic.

I don't even think he takes a phone call for less than $10.5 and that might be only a 4 year deal.

I know I'm being a bet facetious.
But why would Marner get $10.5x4 if Kuchi took $9.5x8? It doesn't make sense.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

You read it here first.
Based on age projection using the kucherov curve, marner is slated to score 187 points then when he is kucherovs age which is on the 4th year. Seems a bit light. Argument is equally ridiculous. Kucherov signed after 100 point season. :sarcasm:

Reactions: diceman934

bentharbs

Feb 25, 2018
Some people are just completely irrational. It doesn't matter what "should" or "should not" count - it is what player wants vs. what the team offers. That is it. If Marner, his father, or his agent want to point out taxes and hold out because if it, that is because it matters. This is the real world, not some fantasy land of armchair GMs.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If marner (and his parents) are upset the way negotiations went. Too bad. That business and life. Look at all the ads and businesses he's associated with. That family just seem to be money hungry. Paul invested alot in his son's hockey performance and wants to see maximum return. I get it. But to get emotional about it, it's such a ***** move.

He plays anywhere else in the nhl and his endorsement dollars drop significantly.

Wonder if his dad is one of his representatives? Would be a huge mistake on mitch's part. Go ask jack Johnson how well that went for him.

I hope they are just being trolled.

If this is actually how they feel, it won't go over well with teammates making 25% of what he thinks is beneath him.

First there was Robidas Island, now there'll be Marner's Island of the Entitled.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Some people are just completely irrational. It doesn't matter what "should" or "should not" count - it is what player wants vs. what the team offers. That is it. If Marner, his father, or his agent want to point out taxes and hold out because if it, that is because it matters. This is the real world, not some fantasy land of armchair GMs.
So why even have gm’s? I suppose players, their fathers, and their agents should just be given blank cheque’s.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

??? Sounds like you are confusing a deterrent with an incentive ...... o_O

bentharbs

Feb 25, 2018
The man job is to get players at fair market value.

Dubas hasn’t been able to do this.

ENOUGH of the lame bull**** excuses.

There was no excuse there. I actually didn't even make any suggestion about the quality of Dubas' work. You should note I simply suggested that these things do matter, regardless of what others feel "should" or "should not."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad