Salary Cap: Marner contract signing watch discussion.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Lewis Gross, the agent for Nylander said they primarily look at the salary structure of the team and find their spot within that structure. I suspect Marner will do the same. If he’s going to less than his value, he may as well do it in another market.

So does that mean ranatanen is going to sign for less than 6.3?

How do starters negotiate? Compared to the backup?

The agent doesn’t Just get to decide. There is no rule that you negotiate compared to the team.....

Or else there is no such thing as an offer sheet

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

The agent doesn’t Just get to decide. There is no rule that you negotiate compared to the team.....

Agents can and will try to use comparisons to help their client while.the team can turn to external examples if they feel it has theirs (and vice versa).

The notion that teams only use internal comparisons is nonsense thoigh

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Agents can and will try to use comparisons to help their client while.the team can turn to external examples if they feel it has theirs (and vice versa).

When Gross said that he was likely talking about that specific negotiation with Nylander. In Nylander's negotiation their only leg to stand on was the amount the other guys were going to be paid compared to him.

I assume that it is different for every situation, for every player. Player's camp will bring up anything that makes value look higher, team will bring up whatever makes value look lower.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
The Tavares contract is gonna kill us. He’s a glorified JVR. Scores goals in tight but can’t really create his own offence too much. One of the slowest skaters in the league and wasn’t the difference in the boston series we brought him in to be.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
The Tavares contract is gonna kill us. He’s a glorified JVR. Scores goals in tight but can’t really create his own offence too much. One of the slowest skaters in the league and wasn’t the difference in the boston series we brought him in to be.

giphy.gif

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
it's gonna be funny if the fans who talked all kinds of shit about Dubas getting bent over in contract negotiations end up losing their favourite player because Dubas holds firm and refuses to overpay him and his greedy camp

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Exactly. Or I guess we can just get rid of the cap right?

Arizona players can sign based on their salary structure. We can sign based on ours.

agents can say whatever they want. If Marner played for the Habs. His agent would try to compare his point totals to price.

It means nothing.

At the end of the day. I hope he signs for a reasonable deal. If he is demanding 5 years. That can’t happen. If he wants too much. Forget it.

There was no point in letting Willy go for a 1,2,3. Over 300k

You can’t let the best goal scoring C in the world leave

Mitch for 10 million cap space and 4 firsts. Or a stud D? With multiple UFA wingers coming up?

Ya I’d consider it.

Hyman Tavares. Skinner/pan Aron
Johnny. Matthews. Nylander
Marleau. Kadri. Kappy

Plus four first rounders? That could be used in trades?

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Not liking all this talk about paying Marner so much. Anything over $9M is ridiculous. I like him but not that much. If that's what it take to sign him ($11M range +/-) then I say trade him or collect the picks on an offer sheet.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
it's gonna be funny if the fans who talked all kinds of **** about Dubas getting bent over in contract negotiations end up losing their favourite player because Dubas holds firm and refuses to overpay him and his greedy camp
Yeah, that's going to be hilarious when we start losing good players because Dubas the idiot severely overpaid his "core". It'll be even funnier when the "core" doesn't make the playoffs and Dubas gets fired. Maybe he can get a job at The Athletic.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario

47 Goals / 41 Assists for 88 Points.

Yup, he is the problem :scared:

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Yeah, that's going to be hilarious when we start losing good players because Dubas the idiot severely overpaid his "core". It'll be even funnier when the "core" doesn't make the playoffs and Dubas gets fired. Maybe he can get a job at The Athletic.

:laugh:

Or work for Arizona!

Looks like Chayka's advanced stats machine is broken.

BlueStorm

Aug 14, 2010
Halifax
Yes Marner should just show up and say "what's left in the bank account Dubie?...Oh, that's it? Ok, I'll take $7 million" Either way having so much money tied up in 3 players and then Nylander close behind is a recipe for disaster. Trading Nylander is the only viable option here.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
47 Goals / 41 Assists for 88 Points.

Yup, he is the problem :scared:

I’m just saying it was a luxury, an expensive luxury that didn’t pay divends this year in the playoffs. We all know Tavares is a poor skater and will get worse as he ages. Having 40 million tired up between 4 forwards is not ideal.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility

Not true. JT's deal is more than fine. UFA center. It's the Matthews deal.

Let's look at it.

JT. 7 years
Matthews 5 years
JT AAV 11
Matthews 11.634

Years bought
JT UFA 7 years
Matthews UFA 1

So Matthews got more money, on less term, with most years being a RFA. If Dubas was competent Matthews should have gotten a matching JT deal at absolute worse. In reality he should have gotten less.

Reactions: BlueStorm

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
it's gonna be funny if the fans who talked all kinds of **** about Dubas getting bent over in contract negotiations end up losing their favourite player because Dubas holds firm and refuses to overpay him and his greedy camp

Going to be funnier if Dubas Loses his best player cause he overpaid everyone else.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
If overpaying players is the problem, you should be happy if he lets Marner leave rather than overpay him

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I am not really attached to Mitch like some are. I don't view him as a franchise level talent. I really don't. If he wants to get paid as such then move on from him. He is a 1st line winger. I'd be in favour of trading Willy to fit him in, though.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
I’m just saying it was a luxury, an expensive luxury that didn’t pay divends this year in the playoffs. We all know Tavares is a poor skater and will get worse as he ages. Having 40 million tired up between 4 forwards is not ideal.

If you think Tavares in anyway was why the Leafs didn't win the first round, I just absolutely can't agree with you.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I dont think Dubas will be using that line of thought during negotiations. Comprables always play the same position.

Also find it funny that people are looking at the 10.5 million dollar Kane contract after he won a few cups, a Conn Smyth and had already burnt all his RFA years. I dont see how that is comparable either, or Kutcherov's contract for that matter.

You're not wrong .. I'd argue that very same if I was Leafs GM.

Kane at $10.5 mil with multiple Cups first or Kucherov @ $9.5 mil X 8 years and putting up 120 points (and all UFA years) should logically be well above Marner's payscale.

That is not how I think its going to work however unfortunately. I think Marner is getting more than Kucherov and less years (where the 1st X 4 years are cost controllable RFA years).

We have seen how the Nylander and Matthews deals went and now that precedence has been set, Marner will use that to his advantage.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

Let's look at it.

JT. 7 years
Matthews 5 years
JT AAV 11
Matthews 11.634

Years bought
JT UFA 7 years
Matthews UFA 1

So Matthews got more money, on less term, with most years being a RFA. If Dubas was competent Matthews should have gotten a matching JT deal at absolute worse. In reality he should have gotten less.
You don't actually believe this do you?

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

Let's look at it.

JT. 7 years
Matthews 5 years
JT AAV 11
Matthews 11.634

Years bought
JT UFA 7 years
Matthews UFA 1

Do you expect Tavares to be the same player in 6 years from now? I wouldn't bank on it.

I'd bank on Matthews being as good if not better in 5 though...

Reactions: bax

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

A bit more for Rantanen due to timing.

Marner can easily say, and should say, you just lad AM 11.6 and I’m just as good, or perhaps better. Pay me the same. If you don’t I’ll give the discount to another team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad