Salary Cap: Marner contract signing watch discussion.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Yeah, this isn't a good post. Not to just harp on you or anything, but Marner would get Parayko ++. Four years younger and already a legit +90pt winger who has the ability - more than anyone else on a 100-pt team - to completely take over a game on both ends of the ice.

Misread the post actually my bad for some reason my brain substituted Nylander for marner lol stupid mistake on my part

I still wouldn’t part with Marner for just parayko though, we would lose that deal

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
How are those the only comparables ?

JT wasn't even an RFA signing. So if it's just AM and WN, that's perfect he is a winger so closer to WN then AM makes it a great deal. A bit of over exaggeration there, but you see where I'm coming from.

They would look at wingers in the game with similar point totals (obviously some potential stats going forward) and see what they make, add inflation etc and argue that way.

Lewis Gross, the agent for Nylander said they primarily look at the salary structure of the team and find their spot within that structure. I suspect Marner will do the same. If he’s going to less than his value, he may as well do it in another market.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Yeah, this isn't a good post. Not to just harp on you or anything, but Marner would get Parayko ++. Four years younger and already a legit +90pt winger who has the ability - more than anyone else on a 100-pt team - to completely take over a game on both ends of the ice.

For some reason I read marner for panarin I guess I was a bit out of it this morning lol

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Marner has just 2 comparables for his next contract and that is Auston Matthews and John Tavares.

Only thing left to decide is if he gets similar to Auston or more than JT or less.

Right now the Leafs payscale reads

Matthews $11.634 mil
Tavares $11 mil

So does Mitch fall between those 2 or below JT or get and OS and end up making more than both?

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Lewis Gross, the agent for Nylander said they primarily look at the salary structure of the team and find their spot within that structure. I suspect Marner will do the same. If he’s going to less than his value, he may as well do it in another market.

If that's true we are screwed.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Mitch will get 10.5M book it. and he will get the best non-hockey related sponsorship deal in the history of the Leafs book it too.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I love Mitch Marner, and I'm not surprised exactly that his camp would want to use Matthews as the comparable given his pay, but there's really nothing comparable about them as players.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario

Yes, Marner's camp likely will do that if it makes it look better from his side.

The Leafs will take into account things that look better for their side.

Just typical negotiation tactics. Meeting somewhere in between is the key.

If Marner's camp is comparing to Toronto's contracts, how could he justify getting more than either of the 2 Centers in AM and JT ? They play the premium position and Marner's numbers were definitely inflated by being paired with a true #1 C this season.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Marner has just 2 comparables for his next contract and that is Auston Matthews and John Tavares.

Only thing left to decide is if he gets similar to Auston or more than JT or less.

Matthews $11.634 mil
Tavares $11 mil

So does Mitch fall between those 2 or below JT or get and OS and end up making more than both?

They don't even play the same position. How can that be the only comparables ?

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015

Matthews $11.634 mil
Tavares $11 mil

Dont see how Marner's only comprables are centers when he is a winger or how a UFA like JT would have any bearing on Marner's first post ELC.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Which teams would have leaked that to someone like Dreger? And that would be multiple teams from the sound of it. He has never been that connected, never mind to several organizations, none of whom could help but whisper there intentions to him:) It is definitely possible, bur Dregs is not a fountain of inside info so even if it happens I would not say he broke it. Now if some club wants to pay a 26 goal scorer $11M good for them. At some point KD has to grow a pair, I just didn't want it to be in the Marner negotiation but if he never draws a line he is just going to keep getting slapped around.

Dreger is a TSN insider and he used 100% as to his degree of certainty, so he must have sources he really trusts.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
It is so depressing that Marner likely makes more than Kutcherov for less years and both contracts kick in the same year with a lot more UFA years bought in the Kutch contract.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
True but apparently the sponsors were not there for Matty so he had to get more AAV .... with Marner it will be JT's deal on steroids

I have no faith in Dubas to get players to take reasonable contracts.

He undervalued McBackup.
He overvalued Nylander.
He overpaid Matthews for the term.

He's going to overpay Marner. Marner will have to volunteer for less for Dubas to have a chance.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Matthews $11.634 mil
Tavares $11 mil

Ya lets just ignore Kucherov, Kane, Draisaitl etc. Or what Rantanen, Aho or Laine will get.

Also yes, Mitch should fall below those 2.

Reactions: Nifty Willy

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

He undervalued McBackup.
He overvalued Nylander.

He's going to overpay Marner. Marner will have to volunteer for less for Dubas to have a chance.
You are probably right but at some point the CAP takes over for Dubie like it or not? and what other option does he really have but to get sponsors to ante up? my guess is his pitch is look we are going to get you to same deal as JT with less AAV. Can we make something like this work? and get it done before draft?

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

He undervalued McBackup.
He overvalued Nylander.

Just curious - how much do you think AM and WN are overpaid?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Dont see how Marner's only comprables are centers when he is a winger or how a UFA like JT would have any bearing on Marner's first post ELC.

I believe his only comparables are his teammates. This is about how much the Leafs value him in regards to his teammates, and how he fits within Leafs team salary cap. IMO

Last edited:

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I believe his only comparables are his teammates. This is about how much the Leafs value him in regards to his teammates. IMO
I dont think Dubas will be using that line of thought during negotiations. Comprables always play the same position.

Also find it funny that people are looking at the 10.5 million dollar Kane contract after he won a few cups, a Conn Smyth and had already burnt all his RFA years. I dont see how that is comparable either, or Kutcherov's contract for that matter.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Just curious - how much do you think AM and WN are overpaid?
Willy has a fine contract, overpaid by less than half a million. Matthews was a way worse overpayment especially when you look at injury history.

At the end Nylander's contract likely ends up the best value contract between Matthews, Marner and Nylander.

BlueStorm

Aug 14, 2010
Halifax
Nylander never should have been paid more than $5million. He was on pace for 41 points this year and he's soft as Royale bum wipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad