Salary Cap: Marner contract signing watch discussion.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Mitch is likely not given that offersheet until all elite UFAs are off the market.

Exactly, teams aren't going to give up 4 X 1sts until Panarin and others have found new homes via Free Agency and then when the music ends the musical chairs Offersheet season begins with teams that missed out.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Trade marner to Calgary for Andersson+2019 1st+Lindholm/Monohan

Sign stralman/Myers to a 2-3 year deal at 4.5

Sign kap to a 4x3.5 deal

Sign AJ 3x3.25

Sign Ferland/Lee/Dzingle to a 5x5.5 million deal

Trade Marleau plus 26th pick(flames) to a cup contender that PM waives too for a 3rd rounder

Trade zaitsev plus 2020 1st for anything

Trade Brown for a 2019 3rd + 6th round pick

Lee/Ferland/Dzingle - Matthews- Nylander

Hyman-Tavares-Lindholm/Monahan

AJ-Kadri-Kap

Moore-Engvall/Goat-Bracco

Rielly-Stralman/Myers
Muzzin-Andersson
Rosen-Dermott

Lilijgren extra

Andersen
Hutchinson

1st line costs 24.094
2nd line costs b/w 18.35 to 19.75 depending on who we get from the flames
3rd line costs 11.25
4th line costs approx 2.6

1st pairing costs 9.75
2nd pairing costs 4.925
3rd pairing costs 1.675

Andy=5
Hutch=0.8

Kessel=1.2

Total cap under assumption we get lindholm becomes 80.52 million

Total cap under assumption we get Monahan is 82.01 million

We are a deeper and heavier team after this trade. I love marner to death anD would rather see anyone on the team go(except 44) but we become a formidable team with depth from this type of trade. That 26th pick should be enough to deal 1 year of Marleau. We need to tell him he is either a 82 game healthy scratch or he can be shopped to a list of 5-8 teams in contention for a chance to win.

For the zaitsev deal we may need to add in another pick. Would be okay adding the 3rd from the brown deal as well into the trade.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Exactly, teams aren't going to give up 4 X 1sts until Panarin and others have found new homes via Free Agency and then when the music ends the musical chairs Offersheet season begins with teams that missed out.

You talk about offersheets like every year is a feeding frenzy. Your doom and gloom is so tiring to me.

Reactions: Menzinger and egd27

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Alright because some posters say 3 mil some say 2 mil some say 1 mil.

I figured there was maybe some math behind it to show why he is overpaid, or some comparables that show that.

But that makes me question. Many posters and insiders consider McDavid's contract is a good deal at 12.5 (he could have got much more). If that is the case and Matthews is paid 900k less then that bargain number how can his contract be so bad ?

Has there been any players to sign since McDavid, that are better then Matthews ?

Well the main comparable at 11.6m is McDavid. I think that is fair. McDavid signed only 2 years prior to Matthews. Let's not pretend Vegas was unknown. Everyone and their mothers knew the cap was going up the next season.

It's all in the eye of the beholder I guess. Matthews is paid 900k for 3 years less.... That is massive. It's well reported that Matthews wanted 14mil for 8 years, more than McDavid, 10% more.

Eichel signed just after McDavid, who many say was over paid at 10mil..... but again, he signed 8 years, not 5.
The Eichel deal is closer to 8.5 over 5 years.... Matthews got 11.6.... We all know Matthews is better, but that much better? Their careers are much closer than that.

Like I said, just about every person whos career is all about talking hockey agreed. People seen 11.5ish coming, but certainly not for only 5 years.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Its also a double edged sword for the Leafs if he doesn't sign by July 1st, because Dubas also can't get AJ and Kappy deals done first as those would eat into limited Leafs cap space and then make matching any OS or fitting Marner more difficult.

Marner has to go first, before anybody else of significance so all 3 of Marner, Kappy and Johnsson could head into UFA season unsigned. As well as prevent Leafs from going UFA shopping for Marner's replacement.

It might be more likely Kapanen gets an OS if that happens as a team could offer KK a $4 mil deal per and give up a 2nd round pick comp and Leafs couldn't match even if they wanted due to cap space limitations. Where $2,029,660 to $4,059,322 = Second-round pick

The draft is D day in my opinion, if it isn't sorted out by then something has to be done about him, he has to be traded on the draft floor at that point or your completely screwed come free agency and the other RFA'S

Leafs will 100 per cent not trade Marner

If cap becomes a problem you look at your best lineup and drop from there

Matthews
Marner
Tavares
Nylander

One of these is not like the other

Nylander will 100 per cent be traded before Marner

If the ask from the Marner camp is true and he thinks he's worth the Matthews contract he should be traded and it's not even a debate

So trade one entitled overpaid brat so we can overpay another entitled brat?

That's some strategy, that will fix everything :laugh:

I'd advise you to listen to Johnson on Dangle's podcast (although I can't stand Dangle), your 100% surety is about to take a hit

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
That defense looks terribad and we still have no backup goalie.

Therein lies the trade off, next year's team will not be as good as this year's team.

So when I put on my tin foil hat, it tells me that since next year is cap hell, Dubas keeps Babcock around.

By January, the angry mob will be positively frothing at the mouth at Babcock, and Dubas can give him the axe and insert Keefe mid season in a no lose situation.

If the team gets better, he's the hero, if not, it's on Babcock.

The following year, Marleau is gone, Liljegren or Sandin (or both) are ready, maybe another Marlie as well, the cap raises, and things are much rosier.

All that and Dubas rids himself of Babcock and inserts his guy Sheldon and buys himself at least 2-3 more years.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You talk about offersheets like every year is a feeding frenzy. Your doom and gloom is so tiring to me.

On Insider Trading, TSN’s Darren Dreger touched on Marner’s contract status and insisted that teams are “100 percent” preparing an offer sheet for Marner.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario

It shouldnt get to the point where an offer sheet is made. The last offer to marner should be late may. After that it's time to cut contact with him and work on a block buster deal.

Andersson+26th overall+lindholm/Monahan from Calgary would be a sweet deal for us and the type of deal we need to target.

I'm open to trading nylander as well but I dont see him having much value and we should see if after the disgraceful season he had can he reenergize his career.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

On Insider Trading, TSN’s Darren Dreger touched on Marner’s contract status and insisted that teams are “100 percent” preparing an offer sheet for Marner.

Of course entertainers drum up entertainment. All the kids were getting offershat, we all knew that. You just eat it all up.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Trade marner to Calgary for Andersson+2019 1st+Lindholm/Monohan

Sign stralman/Myers to a 2-3 year deal at 4.5

Sign kap to a 4x3.5 deal

Sign AJ 3x3.25

Sign Ferland/Lee/Dzingle to a 5x5.5 million deal

Trade Marleau plus 26th pick(flames) to a cup contender that PM waives too for a 3rd rounder

Trade zaitsev plus 2020 1st for anything

Trade Brown for a 2019 3rd + 6th round pick

Lee/Ferland/Dzingle - Matthews- Nylander

Hyman-Tavares-Lindholm/Monahan

AJ-Kadri-Kap

Moore-Engvall/Goat-Bracco

Rielly-Stralman/Myers
Muzzin-Andersson
Rosen-Dermott

Lilijgren extra

Andersen
Hutchinson

1st line costs 24.094
2nd line costs b/w 18.35 to 19.75 depending on who we get from the flames
3rd line costs 11.25
4th line costs approx 2.6

1st pairing costs 9.75
2nd pairing costs 4.925
3rd pairing costs 1.675

Andy=5
Hutch=0.8

Kessel=1.2

Total cap under assumption we get lindholm becomes 80.52 million

Total cap under assumption we get Monahan is 82.01 million

We are a deeper and heavier team after this trade. I love marner to death anD would rather see anyone on the team go(except 44) but we become a formidable team with depth from this type of trade. That 26th pick should be enough to deal 1 year of Marleau. We need to tell him he is either a 82 game healthy scratch or he can be shopped to a list of 5-8 teams in contention for a chance to win.

For the zaitsev deal we may need to add in another pick. Would be okay adding the 3rd from the brown deal as well into the trade.

lmao holy ****

Marleau + a 1st shouldn't happen

Reactions: egd27

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Which teams would have leaked that to someone like Dreger? And that would be multiple teams from the sound of it. He has never been that connected, never mind to several organizations, none of whom could help but whisper there intentions to him:) It is definitely possible, bur Dregs is not a fountain of inside info so even if it happens I would not say he broke it. Now if some club wants to pay a 26 goal scorer $11M good for them. At some point KD has to grow a pair, I just didn't want it to be in the Marner negotiation but if he never draws a line he is just going to keep getting slapped around.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
lmao holy ****

Marleau + a 1st shouldn't happen
Why not? I mean if he can be dealt for leas than that sure. But that 26th pick from the flames deal works as a way to trade Marleau (pending him waiving his NMC) or Zaitsev(would rather use it here). A 1st would be nice to keep but if it saved us 6.25 for the next year or 4.5 for the next 5 years it has to be dealt. Use that cap space and sign a defender like stralman/Myers and a forward like lee/ferland/dzingle/nyquvist etc

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
IMG-20190430-WA0015.jpg

Reactions: Kamiccolo

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Therein lies the trade off, next year's team will not be as good as this year's team.

So when I put on my tin foil hat, it tells me that since next year is cap hell, Dubas keeps Babcock around.

By January, the angry mob will be positively frothing at the mouth at Babcock, and Dubas can give him the axe and insert Keefe mid season in a no lose situation.

If the team gets better, he's the hero, if not, it's on Babcock.

The following year, Marleau is gone, Liljegren or Sandin (or both) are ready, maybe another Marlie as well, the cap raises, and things are much rosier.

All that and Dubas rids himself of Babcock and inserts his guy Sheldon and buys himself at least 2-3 more years.
Muzzin and Dermott raises will offset the 6.6 Marleau cap hit. The cap going up 4 mil or so is the only additional cap space the leafs would have that year. Which isn’t much. It was ESSENTIAL to get the young core at (the very least) market value. Dramatically overpaying them will have VERY serious repercussions.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015

Why would they offer sheet Marner at $13 when they could easily attain Point or Rantanen for like 10-11?

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Why would they offer sheet Marner at $13 when they could easily attain Point or Rantanen for like 10-11?
Any team paying rantanen will need to pay 12+ to get him. The Avs have unlimited space basically. They can fit rantanen at 12 and get panarin probabaly. They will obviously try and get him at 10.5 or so but if his camp disagrees and signs a 13 mill offersheet that may not be enough for the Avs to walk away. They have progressed insanely far over the past 2 years. Have the 4th pick this year and tons of space. Point will be a much better target and a 10.5 million offersheet bonds the hell out of the bolts.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Friedman:

12. GM Kyle Dubas said Mitch Marner was priority number one, and that makes sense because all other decisions are affected by his next contract. It is believed he’s targeting the Auston Matthews deal. It is also believed that the Maple Leafs do not see him passing Patrick Kane ($10.5 million) as the highest-paid winger in the NHL. They probably want him around the Nikita Kucherov/Mark Stone $9.5-million range, although those are no-tax states.
You can debate all you want about whether or not he gets an offer sheet, but Toronto clearly believes it’s a real possibility and won’t let anyone else determine his salary. Marner’s a cornerstone player, he’s a local kid, he’s at Raptors games, he’s in more commercials than the Geico Gecko and it is crazy we’re getting to this point. But I’ve done negotiations before that go off the rails and that’s where we are. They’ve got two months to figure it out.

13. Some of my Russian sources aren’t buying that winger Ilya Mikheyev is picking between Toronto and Vegas. They think it is the Maple Leafs, and has been that way for a while.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Which teams would have leaked that to someone like Dreger? And that would be multiple teams from the sound of it. He has never been that connected, never mind to several organizations, none of whom could help but whisper there intentions to him:) It is definitely possible, bur Dregs is not a fountain of inside info so even if it happens I would not say he broke it. Now if some club wants to pay a 26 goal scorer $11M good for them. At some point KD has to grow a pair, I just didn't want it to be in the Marner negotiation but if he never draws a line he is just going to keep getting slapped around.

The Leafs will pay him 11 million for 5 years

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Muzzin and Dermott raises will offset the 6.6 Marleau cap hit. The cap going up 4 mil or so is the only additional cap space the leafs would have that year. Which isn’t much. It was ESSENTIAL to get the young core at (the very least) market value. Dramatically overpaying them will have VERY serious repercussions.

Muzzin gets traded at the next deadline. Not an issue

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Any team paying rantanen will need to pay 12+ to get him. The Avs have unlimited space basically. They can fit rantanen at 12 and get panarin probabaly. They will obviously try and get him at 10.5 or so but if his camp disagrees and signs a 13 mill offersheet that may not be enough for the Avs to walk away. They have progressed insanely far over the past 2 years. Have the 4th pick this year and tons of space. Point will be a much better target and a 10.5 million offersheet bonds the hell out of the bolts.
You really think the Avs day agree to 11 mil for Rantanen? I don’t think in a million years they would do that.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Friedman:

Although Vegas is a better market and better place to live, you’d be crazy not to consider the Leafs. If you don’t like the NHL, you can always go back, if you do well, you’re a very rich man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad