Salary Cap: Marner contract signing watch discussion.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
8.5 would have gotten it done and the reaction today would be favourable.

I think the problem was giving him that bumps up Nylanders ask since there wasn't a lot of separation between them at the time.

I think getting Nylander done first was the right play, but unfortunately because of how long it took it prevented Matthews/Marner extensions from being more viable. Which is definitely an error.

Reactions: ACC1224

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
When it comes to negotiations, Marner's last bit of play isn't something they'll be ignoring on management side, and something they'll want to floss over on Marner's side.

He wasn't very good in the playoffs.
His play in the playoffs will have little to no bearing on negotiations. Matthews wasn't great in playoffs last year, he still got a bunch of money.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I'd like to be complaining about how they screw up in the 2nd. round.

But to get there they needed to have their offensive players be offensive.

When it comes to negotiations, Marner's last bit of play isn't something they'll be ignoring on management side, and something they'll want to floss over on Marner's side.

His production went down when his left winger tore his ACL.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Hilarious how posters here say they should have signed Marner last year based on potential, but then lose their minds after 4 months of Nylander and Matthews contracts.:scared:
Offering a 60-69 point player 9 mil in the hopes they "get better" is unprecedented.

Paying a one time 90 point player 11 mil+ is also unprecedented (other than Dubas' dramatic overpyament in Matthews).

We just want fair market value like all of the other gm's seem to be able to do. Marner shouldn't make a single PENNY more than Rantanen or Point.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I'd like to be complaining about how they screw up in the 2nd. round.

But to get there they needed to have their offensive players be offensive.

Yeah. He should have set records the last few games playing with a linemate with a torn acl

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Hilarious how posters here say they should have signed Marner last year based on potential, but then lose their minds after 4 months of Nylander and Matthews contracts.:scared:
If that is what you understand, you really have no reading comprehension

Reactions: Kamiccolo

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It’ll be interesting to see what Dubas does to free up cap space. If Marner signs they have to do something and everyone in the League knows it.
I can se it now....Marner gets 11.5 for 5 years and Marleau and a couple of firsts are gone to Ottawa.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Let's face it, the Leafs are overpaying, period. That is a relative term as these players make them a great deal of money, though even 10 pylons would since corporations overpay for tickets.

From a fans standpoint, I don't care if you give some kid $9M or $25M a year if you are making profits. Unfortunately there is a cap to contend with, and a weaker team isn't as appealing to watch.

If a management isn't calculating all of these considerations before hand, they have no business being in management. The Marleau contract aside (that's on Crusty Lou), I hope this group knows what they are doing. Dubas and his team have to take a step back before any key negotiation. No one player ensures a lengthy NHL playoff run. Ever (though a Lights Out goalie comes close).

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
8.5 would have gotten it done and the reaction today would be favourable.

There was lots of reports that Marner was seeking the Draisaitl contract of $8.5 mil X 8 last summer..

According to reports Marner's camp started a $9 mil X 8 years and Dubas counter offer was $7.5 mil X 8. Both sides turning down those initial starting positions.

With Basic Negotiating 101 skills one could see that middle ground existed for a successful 8 year term contract last summer.

What we needed was an experienced GM with closing ability to get that done, and an understanding that letting him play the year alongside JT was only going to cost him more AAV/Cap and not less.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Offering a 60-69 point player 9 mil in the hopes they "get better" is unprecedented.

Paying a one time 90 point player 11 mil+ is also unprecedented (other than Dubas' dramatic overpyament in Matthews).

We just want fair market value like all of the other gm's seem to be able to do. Marner shouldn't make a single PENNY more than Rantanen or Point.

Which is why they use comparables.

Used them for Nylander and he was paid what he should have been within 500k give or take (Based on opinions).

Tavares was a free agent and based on what insiders say was offered 13 (You guys love to use insider "predicted" numbers). So I guess all those other GMs including your beloved Lou are dumb too.

Matthews is the best player on this team and has the potential for being top 3 in the league (McDavid #1, not sure who else). You pay those guys.

I never argued Marner should be paid more then either of them, if anything I have been arguing Marner should be 10 max.

Marner hasn't signed yet and your basing your "overpayments" on 4 months into the other 2 contracts.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Yeah. He should have set records the last few games playing with a linemate with a torn acl

Thank you for pointing that out. Hard to evaluate players when some are playing top line minutes with a Tavares against others playing 3rd. line minutes with bottom 6 players.

Yes, your linemates do make a difference. So if you're playing with Matthews or Tavares the points are easier to come by. Whereas playing with Marleau and Brown not so much.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018

McDavid? Stop using unprecedented

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Thank you for pointing that out. Hard to evaluate players when some are playing top line minutes with a Tavares against others playing 3rd. line minutes with bottom 6 players.

Yes, your linemates do make a difference. So if you're playing with Matthews or Tavares the points are easier to come by. Whereas playing with Marleau and Brown not so much.
I saw one bad defensive play by Marner in game 4 where he missed his man and was on the wrong side. I kind of understand now why he was on the wrong side. He was covering up for Hyman. This kind of stuff is not comparable and you know better.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I saw one bad defensive play by Marner in game 4 where he missed his man and was on the wrong side. I kind of understand now why he was on the wrong side. He was covering up for Hyman. This kind of stuff is not comparable and you know better.

I'm not complaining about Marner's defensive play, but personally I wouldn't be paying 9.5 a year for a defensive forward, you can get those guys for much less.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
So noone on here is saying Leafs should have paid him last year ?

Also, noone is saying Matthews and Nylander contracts are "overpayments" based on 4-5 months into the contract ?
Again you do not understand.
If my accelerator is pressed in my car and I've just passed 130km/hour and I am heading towards a downward hill, would you be betting that I will be slowed by the hill?
Marner was producing at 1.13 points per game after January with less talent that Tavares this year. His ELC was not done yet so if you think an inevitable 90+ point season is just potential because of the time reference, you must also understand that there is also the potential I will be slowed in my car if I had the bad luck of hitting a UFO.
And yeah...AM a WN contracts are horrible btw.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
I'm not complaining about Marner's defensive play, but personally I wouldn't be paying 9.5 a year for a defensive forward, you can get those guys for much less.
It was linked. Babcock clearly told him to stay at home and mind a shutdown role. He was barely over 30% in offensive zone starts

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Weird is a it?

22 year old Nylander(coming off of 60 points) at 7 million is a terrible deal, but 22 year old marner (also with 60 points)with a 8.5 million dollar deal in hindsight is fantastic.

Literally the same people contradicting themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad