Salary Cap: Marner contract discussion XVII (continued)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

kfox

Dec 23, 2011
Anyone have any insight as to why Marner hooked up with Ferris? He's small-time when compared to the elite agents in the game.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Just a guess, but Ferris started his career about 7 years ago after working with the Orr group, his first big recruitment was Taylor Hall, which would've given him enough cred to impress Paul Marner and bring Mitch into the fold when he was going into the OHL

like I said just a guess

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
The funniest part is that Nylanders contract will most likely look by far the best out of the 3 when's all said and done.

That could be true but by holding the line on Nylander would have almost certainly would have allowed Dubas to sign Matthews and Marner at cheaper numbers.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
What pissed me off the most is we are likely to have a training camp(if it gets to that) clouded by all these contract talks, in a similar way to last year. When we should be thinking about hockey and progressing from the previous year.

I get the whole ordeal in a cap world, But it's annoying.
Last year, the number one thing was this Nylander watch... and it effected the team in some way... not to mention Nylander was basically a nonfactor when he did sign.

Get this done (both of you) and let's get on with the summer.. come into camp with one thing on our mind.

I will say kudos to Dubas and co. For getting deals done to improve the D... even while our big RFA is a stalemate.
Look at Boston and others hesitation to do these things while their own RFAs hold them hostage

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
That could be true but by holding the line on Nylander would have almost certainly would have allowed Dubas to sign Matthews and Marner at cheaper numbers.
what line ? he got maybe 500 k more than kypreos or dreger predicted

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I'm sure the shopping has begun, at least a bit. And again, I don't think it would be horrible at all to trade Mitch and balance the lineup more, and have some breathing room

Reactions: Nylander88

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
I'm sure the shopping has begun, at least a bit. And again, I don't think it would be horrible at all to trade Mitch and balance the lineup more, and have some breathing room

Do you think any of the other high profile RFAs are being shopped too? If not why not? Which ones do you think we should be in on, if so?

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Not a chance! The table was set with Eichel getting 10M...Buffalo desperate to stay relevant. Drai getting paid was another. The new crop of kids who have won nothing yet will all be paid as well ,so this is the way the salary cap era has evolved. I suspect there may be changes coming to the collective bargaining agreement.

Reactions: Volcanologist

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I'll take Marner over Nylander every day of the week.

All things equal in contract maybe. Nylander had an off year and started off playing late. Before that Marner was better but not by much. As of next year I agree with the guy you replied too. It may be a 10-15 point spread with a 3 mill gap in price

Compared to most garbage deals lately, Willy looks like a steal

Reactions: Nylander88

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Tavares literally says nothing about Marner playing for the Leafs this season lol

Tavares says nothing.... Or literally says nothing?

Same thing. Choose the one with fewer words.

This generation is aggravating.

Reactions: therealkoho

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
All things equal in contract maybe. Nylander had an off year and started off playing late. Before that Marner was better but not by much. As of next year I agree with the guy you replied too. It may be a 10-15 point spread with a 3 mill gap in price

Compared to most garbage deals lately, Willy looks like a steal
Maybe but he already has an uphill battle to live up to it. I figure he needs at least 420 points over 6 and he is behind schedual

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Marner for Point ?? The tax savings should make them happy.

I'd be okay with Draisaitl the 50 goal scorer for Marner? Not as pretty as Marner, but knows how to play off a generational talent.

Comparables:

Rantanen lead his team in the playoffs with points, even strength points and tied for lead in goals.
Rantanen 1.18 PPG and scored 31 goals in 74 games.

Colorado has a tonne of cap space.

Retaining on Barrie was inconsequential to their cap situation.

Does Rantanen even get close to 10?

Kucherov should be the standard for wingers who score a 100 points and over 35 goals.

Add cap inflation which was about what 3%?

Goals cost more than assists.

Marner: $9.785 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad