Salary Cap: Marner contract discussion XVII (continued)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
MacKinnon and Crosby have national Canadian ads playing in Pittsburg and Colorado. JT had one when he was on the Isles. If you do well for Hockey Canada, you will get advertising money here because a lot of brands like to play on that nostalgia. Hell, Jordan Eberle had one this year.

Sure...but hockey has the biggest market share in Toronto in terms of sports...it will take the Raptors a long time to catch up even with their recent championship...and the Toronto Maple Leafs is one of the biggest hockey brands globally...it helps Marner tremendously that he plays for the Leafs.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Have you heard of the fact that Canada is about 1/10th the size of the USA?

Raptors final was amongst the least watched in the states despite their popularity here.

The NBA is still trying to grow their game globally, and the Raptors winning the championship is the best thing to happen to them. The Raptors were ranked the most popular basketball team in the world during their championship run in June.

Toronto Raptors ranked the most popular basketball team in the world

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
We traded kadri for a D who has outscored him by 15 pts and a forward who is 5 years younger and put up 2 less points.
Perspective is a funny thing...dubas has done the impossible in the eyes of a lot of Leaf fans. For those who think they could of done better...well,I would really like to hear it.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Perspective is a funny thing...dubas has done the impossible in the eyes of a lot of Leaf fans. For those who think they could of done better...well,I would really like to hear it.

gone and possibly gone next summer
  • 2019, 2020 1st round picks
  • Kadri
  • Muzzin
  • Barrie
  • Grundsrom
  • Druzi
  • Zaitsev
  • Ceci
  • Brown
  • Marleau
  • Rosen

Last edited:

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
sign, offer sheet, traded or sit
There will be no offer sheet ...that we will ever be able to verify! The 4 1sts on top of paying him an enormous salary would of happened by now.
Sitting is even less likely...see lesson learned from Willy. Trade,sure find someone of equal value and make the money work...pretty sure Dubas has the smarts to pull it off,but like all deals(including signing players) it takes two to tango!

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
The NBA is still trying to grow their game globally, and the Raptors winning the championship is the best thing to happen to them. The Raptors were ranked the most popular basketball team in the world during their championship run in June.

Toronto Raptors ranked the most popular basketball team in the world

... most popular team as ranked by instagram interactions in June when the other teams were out? Wow.

Let’s be factual. The least watched in the USA. Where marketers are trying to sell their product.

More people hate the Leafs than love them. Chicago is the most popular team in the NHL.

Bautista was arguably the most popular Jay during their run... and many people across Canada watched the Jays. He had Boosterjuice as a local endorsement.

Which Montreal Canadien is currently raking in the endorsement bucks?

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Sure...but hockey has the biggest market share in Toronto in terms of sports...it will take the Raptors a long time to catch up even with their recent championship...and the Toronto Maple Leafs is one of the biggest hockey brands globally...it helps Marner tremendously that he plays for the Leafs.
Not to mention..those U.S. dollars are a nice boost to a Canadian living in Canada.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
You keep spouting this nonsense about willy.
So what you think is willy will get 80 points this year but marner has peaked and won’t get more than his 94.

In order for willy to get 80 he will have to actually go to the dirty areas and in the corners. Something that he has shied from in the past.

There is no guarantee willy will be playing with Matthews and even if he is his best season was 61 points. Last year without Matthews he stunk up the joint.
I dont think the talent between Nylander at his best and Marner at his best is that far apart. That's why I think they'll be close in points. Never said anything about 80 points or peaking at 94points or any of that nonsense. Willy had similar numbers to Marner their first 2 years. Absolutely buggered his year with his contract holdout last year and as such it was a complete write off. Nylander has lead the World Championships in scoring twice now in the 2 he has participated in. Tournament MVP for Sweden when they won gold and set a Swedish record with 18 points this year. The kid can play

hfman

Oct 30, 2013

YearsintheWilderness

Jul 15, 2007
Marner seems to be obsessed with Matthews. He's apparently in a competition with him to see who can acquire the most horrible fashion sense on the face of the earth...

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I dont think the talent between Nylander at his best and Marner at his best is that far apart. That's why I think they'll be close in points. Never said anything about 80 points or peaking at 94points or any of that nonsense. Willy had similar numbers to Marner their first 2 years. Absolutely buggered his year with his contract holdout last year and as such it was a complete write off. Nylander has lead the World Championships in scoring twice now in the 2 he has participated in. Tournament MVP for Sweden when they won gold and set a Swedish record with 18 points this year. The kid can play
Yes,even though I'm not Willys biggest fan,I do expect a very good to great year from him . Especially playing alongside Auston. His international success is a sign that his style of play is more suited to that environment. Less physical.

kfox

Dec 23, 2011

I'm with you on Willy. I'd like to see him start the season with Tavares and Johnsson, pair Mitch with Matthews, Kap with Kerfoot

Last edited:

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
gone and possibly gone next summer
  • 2019, 2020 1st round picks
  • Kadri
  • Muzzin
  • Barrie
  • Grundsrom
  • Druzi
  • Zaitsev
  • Ceci
  • Brown
  • Marleau
  • Rosen

I'd love to see a justifiable scenario in which Toronto loses Muzzin, Barrie and Ceci in the same off season for salary purposes... That makes no sense.

Ceci was traded for Zaitsev as a one year stop gap before the emergence of Liljegren and Sandin. They need his 4.5 million dollars to expire so that, combined with the rising cap and a forward traded for return assets, they extend Barrie and Muzzin and bridge Dermott...

4.5 million (Ceci expiring) + 2-3 million (cap rise) + trading one of Kerfoot, Hyman, Kapananen, Johnsson or Nylander for ELC prospects = 10+ million in free cap space.

Toronto didn't trade significant, cost controlled organizational assets (Grundstrom, Kadri, 1st, 2nd, etc) for 1.3 years of Jake Muzzin and 1 year of Tyson Barrie. They are stocking forward depth knowing that as they fix the defense, 1 or 2 offensive pieces will need to be made.

I'd be shocked if then 2020 defense core didn't have Reilly, Muzzin, Barrie and Dermott in the top 4, with one of Liljegren or Sandin playing on the bottom pair. Ceci will be gone (per the plan) but then other guys were traded for as key roster pieces.

I think the 2020 forwards could chance quite a bit given the organizational depth with bottom 6 forwards. Only guarantees, IMO, are...

××××× / Matthews / Nylander
××××× / Tavares / Marner

Hyman
Kapanan
Kerfoot
Moore
Johnsson
Bracco
Mikheyvev
Marchment
Gauthier
Korshkov

Could all be traded to ensure the improved defense core stays that way. I'd be shocked if Dubas let his D-core go to shit while paying his 3rd line 10+ million per year when he has cheaper options within the organization and guys on contracts like those of Hyman, Kerfoot, Johnsson and Kapanen, with the production to match and age on their side.

This is your core. Build around it. Everything else is expendable.

××××× / Matthews / Nylander
××××× / Tavares / Marner
××××× / ××××× / ×××××
××××× / ××××× / ×××××

Reilly / ×××××
Muzzin / Barrie
××××× / ×××××

Anderson
×××××

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Muzzin, Barrie, and Ceci all have a good or bad year and go to UFA, is that hard to picture?

kfox

Dec 23, 2011
Muzzin, Barrie, and Ceci all have a good or bad year and go to UFA, is that hard to picture?

Not at all, I'd say it's pretty much a sure a bet that Muzz and Barrie go UFA. And at 31 years old, will Leafs even want Muzzin for the term he'll be looking for?

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Not at all, I'd say it's pretty much a sure a bet that Muzz and Barrie go UFA. And at 31 years old, will Leafs even want Muzzin for the term he'll be looking for?

I cant see the Dubas vision or strategy yet? he is giving away 1st round picks, good prospects, legit NHL'ers for guys that are UFA's in a season

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Marner will play for Maple Leafs this season, Tavares says
"I think probably with the way things went with Willie, it obviously makes people wonder and think," Tavares told TSN. "But there's a lot of really good restricted free agents unsigned right now, and it's not really uncommon, especially at this time, for a lot of guys who over the years have been in the same position."

"Obviously, there's been a lot of talk about the offer sheets this year, and it seems more so than other years. But I think obviously the organization and [general manager Kyle Dubas] recognize how important Mitch is to the team and have set up the team and the cap very well to be prepared for anything that comes our team's way. I think we know how much Mitch loves being here and wants to be a part of it here. There's no doubt in my mind that something will get done here eventually."
"I think his impact goes so far, not just on the ice, but in our locker room," Tavares said. "Just the type of person he is … obviously, the type of player, plays in all situations, and just so smart, so cerebral, elite skillset, and obviously still got so much more room to grow. We're excited obviously about his potential and what he has ahead of him."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad