Salary Cap: Marner contract discussion XVII (continued)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SoVi3t

Sep 16, 2009
An agent is trained how to deal with the media, Mitch Marner is not.

Any smart agent would tell Mitch to say that the agent is in charge, so Mitch doesn't get harrassed by the media, and so the agent looks like he is in charge of the situation (which is something that would land him more talent to manage).

Mitch still has the final say in any and all contract decisions though. Or possibly his dad, depending on your point of view.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Just for balance, Michael Traikos on air this morning takes the view that the Leafs brass are equally “culpable” for this impasse with Marner. Also argues that despite being a winger, he is unique in that regard and equally important (or could argue such) to team success as the more old school view on centers. Felt the Matthews high contract set the precedent, as did the Nylander saga, and now the Leafs own inability to manage their internal cap now falls on Marner.

Back to the bash fest....

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
why would you report someone for that post?

your post was silly just admit it and move on, there was no PR at all in nylander's contract negotiations, no dad coming out saying he should be captain and wants 1C money. No coming out at screaming about lowballs (whenever they were ie: in season or last offseason) nothing at all. Paul Marner has done exactly what people were accusing Michael Nylander of doing last offseason with zero proof, except with Paul we have the proof
Without Paul spending many hours everyday driving Mitch to his games and practices 5/6 nights a week and then to his skating coach on off days and then taping all his games and most practices and then watching/learning from video to help him get better we maybe don't have what we have today. Now he was very good at 4 years old like most of these guys anyways but it is a war, not a battle, to develop a hockey player. I have always wondered how much of it is purely innate and would happen anyway irrespective of development. There are a few manufactured players but not as many as you would think.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
It is really weird listening to the arguments around here pushing for a cheap contract for Marner. The argument seems that he isn't worth a big contract but the leafs cant give him a good bridge because he will take them to the cleaners when he is done.
He doesn't take them to the cleaners if he wasn't worth the good contract in the first place. It is one thing to say he can't perform at a good contract but only a fool thinks that if marner walks to free agency, he wont get massive money doing it. At his trajectory (over a 90 point player for 82 consecutive games since last December), he looks like he will destroy Kane's RFA performance. The leafs have rights up to his UFA years and they can certainly attempt to lowball those years as leverage to get some of those UFA years but they don't have the rights to those years. As a matter of principal Marner doesn't have to sell them to anyone unless he gets the price he wants and the leafs have the right to trade him. How would it look if Marner pragmatically accepted a deal with another team afterwards for 8.5MM x 4 years and then runs up another season of 90+ points while some of the elite teams like Tampa and Boston along with some up and comers continue to eat a bigger share of the leafs lunch? Questions will be asked of why the leafs couldn't afford to pay a superstar this contract.
Yeah...I'm guessing that Marner has plenty of leverage. Hard coercion does not work with a player of this caliber.

So how are you related to Mitch?

Reactions: stopclickbait

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Marner has no obligation to answer a few question?

Nope.

Also, I never said that.

I merely pointed out the terrible take that if he's not going to answer media questions at a charity gala, his gala shouldn't be promoted.

Regardless of what you think about Marner, the fact that he's doing this to raise money for those in need is a GOOD thing and should be celebrated.

Don't let your fanboy hurt feelings get in the way of more important issues.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Nylander's team handled his negotiation FAR better than the Marner camp. You didn't hear a peep about contract terms and market rate offers being turned down, and very little offer sheet talk.

Darren Dreger literally said Marner's camp would be flying to meet teams during the interview window, which almost certainly did not happen, since there was no mention of it during the window period.

In any case, I don't know how anyone can say Marner has handled this well. He's significantly hurt his golden boy rep. A lot of people are ready to move on from him if his demands are going to remain ridiculous.

P.R. is about swaying the perception of the fans. Nylander had a few detractors before his negotiations. The fact that his contract wasn't completed until the last 30 min. didn't help the fan perception. His poor season and playoff put him to a level where I would say he lost fans. I would even go on to say that 50% of TOR fans dislike Nylander.

We'll see how long the negotiations go with Marner, but I don't think he's losing fans.

This is all opinion based although I think a few of you will agree with me.

I just don't think the booing and the "Melander" stuff is going to happen for Marner. He says a lot of the right things and he also feels that the negotiations will be over before the season starts.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Nope.

Also, I never said that.

I merely pointed out the terrible take that if he's not going to answer media questions at a charity gala, his gala shouldn't be promoted.

Regardless of what you think about Marner, the fact that he's doing this to raise money for those in need is a GOOD thing and should be celebrated.

Don't let your fanboy hurt feelings get in the way of more important issues.

The post I responded to did.

If he invites the media he has to answer a few questions. It’s the biggest story in Toronto sports this summer.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
An agent is trained how to deal with the media, Mitch Marner is not.

Any smart agent would tell Mitch to say that the agent is in charge, so Mitch doesn't get harrassed by the media, and so the agent looks like he is in charge of the situation (which is something that would land him more talent to manage).

Mitch still has the final say in any and all contract decisions though. Or possibly his dad, depending on your point of view.

You better believe it when I say that MLSE has trained Marner for the media.

horner

May 22, 2007
Marner will continue to make his haters look like idiots. 2 more seasons like he just had will begin talks about his inevitable hall of fame induction when he retires.
And some people want to throw him away for 4 1st Rd pls.
Glad you see what I see.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Heard Marner on TSN this morning. He's doing great in regards to P.R.

I really think he's learned from the Nylander negotiations which was a P.R. nightmare/disaster for #88 (formerly #29).

The complete OPPOSITE of what me and some buddy's were just talking about.

Willy's camp was quiet. The few times they did speak, they said they want to get a deal done. ZERO offer sheet talk or threats. In fact, a big contention to the Willy saga was that he was worried if he signed too cheapily he would be easily traded.

Again...

WILLY WAS AFRAID IF HE SIGNED TOO CHEAPILY HE WOULD BE THE EASY TARGET TO TRADE.

My friends and I were just remarking how completely diff both sagas were and how Willy's was much more cordial (in the media at least).

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Compare it to a Real Estate agent.
You trust them to do the negotiating but at the end of the day you need to accept the offer.
The agreement would have a time limitation on it to protect both parties.
I always have to remind myself that there are literal kids and teenagers on this board and they don't necessarily know how things work anywhere outside of what they may know from their parents or TV. Yours is a pretty fair description. I would have sarcastically said something about slavery being abolished. So, you are much nicer than I

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
There is always a reason.
I don't think anyone hates Nylander, most just didn't like him sitting out and then playing so poorly.
There seems to be a higher level of disdain for Marner which seems unfair and a little odd, IMO.

Imaginations seem to be running a little wilder in this case.

Reactions: CDN24

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Willy's camp was quiet. The few times they did speak, they said they want to get a deal done. ZERO offer sheet talk or threats. In fact, a big contention to the Willy saga was that he was worried if he signed too cheapily he would be easily traded.

Again...

WILLY WAS AFRAID IF HE SIGNED TOO CHEAPILY HE WOULD BE THE EASY TARGET TO TRADE.

My friends and I were just remarking how completely diff both sagas were and how Willy's was much more cordial (in the media at least).

Yet he took a deal that still made him a very easy target to trade. He knew that trade security would be a concern no matter what, but he wanted to at least get paid if he did end up somewhere else.

I'm sure if the Leafs could have offered him a nice NTC, his price would have gone down.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

Again...

The P.R. for those negotiations goes beyond the dried ink.

I hope for Marner's sake he signs earlier and doesn't have a poor season/playoff.

Reactions: Eric bungay

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Yet he took a deal that still made him a very easy target to trade. He knew that trade security would be a concern no matter what, but he wanted to at least get paid if he did end up somewhere else.

I'm sure if the Leafs could have offered him a nice NTC, his price would have gone down.

Yes, I didn't want to get too wordy, but that's true. He didn't want to take a discount only to eventually get traded anyways. May as well make "as much" as you can, knowing if you do get dealt at least you're being compensated like you want instead of "giving up" a few hundred K for the team only for them to turn around and deal you in 12 to 24 monthg.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
The post I responded to did.

If he invites the media he has to answer a few questions. It’s the biggest story in Toronto sports this summer.

Your comment was silly. No matter how you try to backtrack it or revise it now, it's still there for all to see.

The biggest story this summer in Toronto was the Raptors. The only people who are really losing their minds over the Marner stuff are on this site...everyone else is out enjoying the hot summer. I suggest you do the same. Cheers.

Reactions: ACC1224

Macman

May 15, 2004
No matter what Marner says. He will look like an idiot to the people that don't like him.

You know what? It is possible to like a player while not liking everything he says. I happen to love the guy. He's my favourite player, but when he lies to a reporter that he hasn't been following negotiations, he's fair game for at least some criticism.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I see Marner signing for 9m X 2yrs

Dubas will promise him a another 2 yr deal but at 15m per if he goes over the 100 point mark in both years

now I know the CBA doesn't allow for this kind of implied deal as it contravenes the CBA and could cost the Leafs multiple draft choices if caught, but apparently they did it already, as they say in for a penny, in for a pound!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad