Salary Cap: Marner contract discussion XVII (continued)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
The problem is all these new kids are millennials and what do millennials do? They let their parents do everything because its "too stressful" at least that's what I got from his interviews at his charity event.
"I'm just gonna relax all summer and let my agent do everything"

Reactions: supermann_98

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Oh the drama!
The Marner "haters" typically don't like the way his camp has negotiated through the media. And don't want to give the guy a blank cheque b/c the team comes first.
The communication through the media is ripe speculation. The only notable thing that I saw was when Ferris said a few months ago that the leafs were lowballing Marner and trying to get him to take a team discount. He went on to say that neither Matthews nor Nylander took team friendly deals and that the Matthews contract was the best player deal in the league which it is. He later clarified that the lowballing happened last summer.
What about Dubas'..."Centers get paid more" comment. What about the stuff floating around that the Leafs would prefer an offersheet to settle the matter? What about stuff regarding Shanny's veto?

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
I think there is one important thing here thats never been discussed.

Does anyone has any knowledge of player-agent contract agreements? I mean people always suggests the player can step in any time and sign the latest offer, ending the whole story without any approval from the agent. What if this is not the case? What if Marner really doesnt have any control over the negotiation and he will simply get the contract the agent has already approved?
I'm not saying this is the case here, all I'm saying is that they also have a contract which could include some weird clause which they have agreed on the time the player hired the agent.

There are so many details we know nothing about but somehow every poster takes every kind of decision and sentence from the player as a personal thing.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The problem is all these new kids are millennials and what do millennials do? They let their parents do everything because its "too stressful" at least that's what I got from his interviews at his charity event.
"I'm just gonna relax all summer and let my agent do everything"

That’s just the advice the agent gave him. Make no mistake, he’s involved.
They said the same about Willy and his agent said after the fact that Willy drove the bus.

Reactions: SoVi3t

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The communication through the media is ripe speculation. The only notable thing that I saw was when Ferris said a few months ago that the leafs were lowballing Marner and trying to get him to take a team discount. He went on to say that neither Matthews nor Nylander took team friendly deals and that the Matthews contract was the best player deal in the league which it is. He later clarified that the lowballing happened last summer.
What about Dubas'..."Centers get paid more" comment. What about the stuff floating around that the Leafs would prefer an offersheet to settle the matter? What about stuff regarding Shanny's veto?

I think you’re referring to Feschuk’s misleading article that had Ferris scrambling around.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Does anyone has any knowledge of player-agent contract agreements? I mean people always suggests the player can step in any time and sign the latest offer, ending the whole story without any approval from the agent. What if this is not the case? What if Marner really doesnt have any control over the negotiation and he will simply get the contract the agent has already approved?
I'm not saying this is the case here, all I'm saying is that they also have a contract which could include some weird clause which they have agreed on the time the player hired the agent.

There are so many details we know nothing about but somehow every poster takes every kind of decision and sentence from the player as a personal thing.

The player has complete control and does not have to heed the agents advice.

Reactions: Naturaledge

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
I think you’re referring to Feschuk’s misleading article that had Ferris scrambling around.
Ferris clarified that his comments about a lowball were related to the summer...not this season. The fact that an offer was made in the summer that insulted the Marner group isn't even arguable.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Heard Marner on TSN this morning. He's doing great in regards to P.R.

I really think he's learned from the Nylander negotiations which was a P.R. nightmare/disaster for #88 (formerly #29).

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Saying he isn't involved is a plain lie. He's running away from the heat. Id call that the opposite of good pr. He looks weak.

Reactions: supermann_98

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
actually it's not a pretty bad post at all, it's 100% fact

i watched that marner interview as well and i gotta say WOW did he ever make it clear that he doesnt give two craps about playing for Toronto - he just needs to get paid, and it doesn't matter what team signs him. truth is, he's a just-out-of-highschool 20-something kid who knows squat about contracts and negotiations, he's sitting at home playing playstation until he gets signed - his future is in everyone else's hands like his agent, dad, management, etc. Stop thinking that he HAS to play here - he doesn't care where it is, and that interview is the proof.

honestly, did anyone watch that interview convinced that marner really wants to play for the leafs? I did not get one single little inkling that he gives a crap about playing for Toronto. The closest he got to that was "hopefully something works out" LOL - you guys need to get a grip: in this day and age none of these guys care where they play, they want that $$$ first and then where they play is second.

I can see mitch, matthews AND nylander playing elsewhere and none will blink twice about leaving this city. That's just the reality of today's NHL.

You should consider opening up a dictionary, flipping to the definition of "facts", and then understanding nothing of what you wrote above constitute "facts".

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
What's funny is while Mitch himself has been pretty professional about everything and not saying anything he'd regret, his agent has not... And his agent is the one who should be the professional one telling Mitch not to say anything.

I feel like fans would be off his case a lot more if his agent didn't come out with that stupid "lowball" comment and his father would butt out of everything. He can tell his father off, but ultimately Mitch can't do anything about controlling his father besides flat out ignoring him, which I doubt he'd do. He can, however, fire his agent. He probably won't do that right now, but he should seriously consider it if things don't get resolved properly. A player of his caliber can get any agent he wants and clearly Ferris is not of that caliber, and his roster of clients reflects that. Outside of Marner and Taylor Hall, he has nothing more than middling NHLers and semi-high end prospects at best.
When was the last time his Agent has been quoted as saying anything?

Reactions: CDN24

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Heard Marner on TSN this morning. He's doing great in regards to P.R.

I really think he's learned from the Nylander negotiations which was a P.R. nightmare/disaster for #88 (formerly #29).

Nylander's team handled his negotiation FAR better than the Marner camp. You didn't hear a peep about contract terms and market rate offers being turned down, and very little offer sheet talk.

Darren Dreger literally said Marner's camp would be flying to meet teams during the interview window, which almost certainly did not happen, since there was no mention of it during the window period.

In any case, I don't know how anyone can say Marner has handled this well. He's significantly hurt his golden boy rep. A lot of people are ready to move on from him if his demands are going to remain ridiculous.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

Compare it to a Real Estate agent.
You trust them to do the negotiating but at the end of the day you need to accept the offer.
The agreement would have a time limitation on it to protect both parties.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Nylander's team handled his negotiation FAR better than the Marner camp. You didn't hear a peep about contract terms and market rate offers being turned down, and very little offer sheet talk.

Darren Dreger literally said Marner's camp would be flying to meet teams during the interview window, which almost certainly did not happen, since there was no mention of it during the window period.

In any case, I don't know how anyone can say Marner has handled this well. He's significantly hurt his golden boy rep. A lot of people are ready to move on from him if his demands are going to remain ridiculous.
There were all kinds of stories floating around including Carolina and LA having interest in talking to Willy. This just isn't true

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

Yep, he made it up.

shakermaker

Nov 16, 2006
Mississauga
Marner had 94 points last year, Tavares had 88? I can pull these stupid arguments too.

It hasn't and is unlikely to happen again. When is the last time the Leafs had a winger as talented as Marner though? Especially when you factor in age. Marner lucked out on linemates this year, but he also killed it last year when he got Kadri instead of Bozak. Lets not act like this is some guy just getting gifted points. As the best player on his line as a 20 year old he put up 69 points. And, that is also ignoring he's an elite PP player, who doesn't get usage on the PP like most star PP players of his ilk.

Was my /S not enough to tell you I was being sarcastic??

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
and I agree with that. thats just logic.

Nylander played his first game Dec 6th and everyone said even that was too soon to start playing.

Dec 1st he signed, a month to get you legs back and your wind and that brings you to Jan 1st. Season ends on April 6. What has he supposed to do in 3 months? i'm actually surprised he scored 27pts and was on a 41pt pace for 82 games.
This was all Babs teaching the kid a lesson. He knew exactly what he was doing. and so did Shanny. I am not sure where it came from but it was completely wrong. He could have trained with team for a month and then had a 2 week stint to get his game back in the minors. and then maybe a week or so of pain in the NHL. But this was a lesson and maybe it embarrassed Willy a bit. But to me it was more of an embarrassment to Leafs org as people very close to the game itself all knew what was going on. Now that said I was not happy with Willy either for delaying things to last possible day. That was just as wrong. 2 wrongs don't make a right. I too think it was surprising he got as many points as he did too. But that bad episode is over now. Hopefully we do not end up with another pissing contest wit Mitch.

Reactions: 81Leafs50

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Do you need me to report you and then you report me? We just go around in circles until no hockey is discussed?

why would you report someone for that post?

your post was silly just admit it and move on, there was no PR at all in nylander's contract negotiations, no dad coming out saying he should be captain and wants 1C money. No coming out at screaming about lowballs (whenever they were ie: in season or last offseason) nothing at all. Paul Marner has done exactly what people were accusing Michael Nylander of doing last offseason with zero proof, except with Paul we have the proof

Reactions: SAMCRO44

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
why would you report someone for that post?

your post was silly just admit it and move on, there was no PR at all in nylander's contract negotiations, no dad coming out saying he should be captain and wants 1C money. No coming out at screaming about lowballs (whenever they were ie: in season or last offseason) nothing at all. Paul Marner has done exactly what people were accusing Michael Nylander of doing last offseason with zero proof, except with Paul we have the proof
Glad you're able to keep your standard of evidence consistent. Good Work!:rolleyes:

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
All sports have been businesses for many years now. I don't fault players for getting what they can because teams try to pay them as little as possible.It's a natural business impasse if you will. It's obvious Marner loves the game and the city and in my opinion , if he was solely making the decisions, would be signed a long time ago. But he also knows it's a business and has , for now anyway, removed himself from the negotiations and left it to people who do that for a living. He's done nothing wrong and eventually it will be resolved and life goes on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad