Salary Cap: Marner contract discussion XVII (continued)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
He's doing his ******* job, if you don't want clowns in the media giving you **** about offersheets perhaps he shouldn't have been leaking to Dreger like a bloody sieve

He was told if he had questions to ask his agent, the douchebag chooses to ignore Marners wishes, that's not doing your job, that's called being a douchebag ... I do acknowledge your opinion and get it

/end

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Marner was willing to sign last summer for 8 years for a number between 8 and 9. Leafs balked expecting to get the price down or not as rapid improvement, and it will cost them either years or term. And to be honest, 8x8 would have been fair for a 20-year-old coming off a 69 point season considering they gave Nylander 7x6.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Marner looks so awkward. He cant do these types of interviews. He looks nervous.

Another reason why he would never be the face of a franchise in this hockey mad city.

Its so dumb to say my agent is taking care of it. I here it a lot lately and it shows how stupid these guys are....the agent doesn't care about you MITCH!

Your mom, dad, siblings, agent, dog ..... all want to get paid and dont care who you play for. If you are not actively going to take part in this then just get lost. You are not built for the sports world.

Superstars take charge. Lebron does it. Harper in baseball did as well. Matthews took care of the contract quick.

Nylander let others take care of business and look what happened?

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Mitch looks so sad in those interviews. Cheer up buddy. They'll sign you when you're serious about getting it done. Very professional with the "talk to my agent" bit.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Marner looks so awkward. He cant do these types of interviews. He looks nervous.

Another reason why he would never be the face of a franchise in this hockey mad city.

Its so dumb to say my agent is taking care of it. I here it a lot lately and it shows how stupid these guys are....the agent doesn't care about you MITCH!

Your mom, dad, siblings, agent, dog ..... all want to get paid and dont care who you play for. If you are not actively going to take part in this then just get lost. You are not built for the sports world.

Superstars take charge. Lebron does it. Harper in baseball did as well. Matthews took care of the contract quick.

Nylander let others take care of business and look what happened?

just a pretty bad post bud, try again :thumbu:

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Sign him to a one year deal. He will have a shit year if he misses training camp.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
just a pretty bad post bud, try again :thumbu:

actually it's not a pretty bad post at all, it's 100% fact

i watched that marner interview as well and i gotta say WOW did he ever make it clear that he doesnt give two craps about playing for Toronto - he just needs to get paid, and it doesn't matter what team signs him. truth is, he's a just-out-of-highschool 20-something kid who knows squat about contracts and negotiations, he's sitting at home playing playstation until he gets signed - his future is in everyone else's hands like his agent, dad, management, etc. Stop thinking that he HAS to play here - he doesn't care where it is, and that interview is the proof.

honestly, did anyone watch that interview convinced that marner really wants to play for the leafs? I did not get one single little inkling that he gives a crap about playing for Toronto. The closest he got to that was "hopefully something works out" LOL - you guys need to get a grip: in this day and age none of these guys care where they play, they want that $$$ first and then where they play is second.

I can see mitch, matthews AND nylander playing elsewhere and none will blink twice about leaving this city. That's just the reality of today's NHL.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Charity will stay at home, but will Leafs forward Mitch Marner do the same? | The Star
One industry estimate had Marner currently earning a sum in the range of $2 million in annual off-ice income from his wide range of corporate partners, more than double the base salary of his entry-level contract. Leafs all-star centreman Auston Matthews acknowledged Marner’s knack for attracting such opportunities last season: “Mitch is the clubhouse leader (in endorsements), for sure.”

So while the club could argue that Marner ought to look at his off-ice income as a unique benefit of attaching himself to the Maple Leafs brand — a benefit that ought to be taken into account when it comes to arriving at a contract value — Marner’s camp could make the case that it’s Marner, on the basis of his boyish magnetism and on-ice dynamism, who’s earned every dollar of those deals. And no, as has been made clear, Marner’s not interested in cutting the Leafs a discount.

Back and forth it will go. But don’t expect that standoff to come to an end anytime soon. If Marner has a deadline in mind — and it’s a soft one, at that — he said it doesn’t arrive until the Leafs open training camp Sept. 13 in St. John’s, some eight weeks hence.

“Every goal here is to be there for training and be at training camp. There’s no rush. We’ve still got a lot of time until that happens,” Marner said Thursday. “I think that’s what both sides understand, is that there’s a lot of summer still left. Like I said, (agent) Darren (Ferris) is doing a good job of his job, and unless something major’s coming up, he doesn’t really bring it up to me.”
If Marner is seeking an annual average value in the neighbourhood occupied by Matthews and Tavares — something that begins with $11 million — the Maple Leafs, as currently constituted, would ultimately need to move money off the roster. There’d be more than a few ways to do that, sure. One would be a trade of the likes of Nylander or Kasperi Kapanen or Andreas Johnsson. But there are other possibilities, too. Like, say, pointing out to Marner that there’d be no Marner All-Star Invitational, at least not one as big as this week’s, if he played in, say, Columbus.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
He was told if he had questions to ask his agent, the *****ebag chooses to ignore Marners wishes, that's not doing your job, that's called being a *****ebag ... I do acknowledge your opinion and get it

/end

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize it was a media members job to follow Marner's wishes instead of doing his bloody job

Marner's team can't shut there ******* mouths and have there hand so far up Dreger's ass he's practically a sock puppet but when it doesn't suit them the media should shut there faces and act like his *****

That's some standard you've got there

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize it was a media members job to follow Marner's wishes instead of doing his bloody job

Marner's team can't shut there ******* mouths and have there hand so far up Dreger's ass he's practically a sock puppet but when it doesn't suit them the media should shut there faces and act like his *****

Unbe*******levable

It was a charity event and the reporter didn't respect that and I'm 99% sure Mitch told the guy before the interview started that he won't answer any questions about the negotiations,etc...

Can you show proof of Marner team talking out loud?

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
Marner breaks the silence with "I'd prefer to keep the silence"

Which is actually good on him. f*** Masters and all the reporters, this event had nothing to do with his contract.

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
Marner breaks the silence with "I'd prefer to keep the silence"

Which is actually good on him. **** Masters and all the reporters, this event had nothing to do with his contract.
Come on man
Breaking his silence with a "i wanna stay in Toronto" like Nylander last summer is like not too much to ask for.
To be honest his interviews were very f***ing concerning like he doesnt care

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It was a charity event and the reporter didn't respect that and I'm 99% sure Mitch told the guy before the interview started that he won't answer any questions about the negotiations,etc...

Can you show proof of Marner team talking out loud?

His father and agent on the radio not good enough for you? Or Dregers magic bout of convenient clairvoyance?

Who'd have thought, you empower the media and they turn on you making you look atrocious and a deer in the headlights, I'm shocked I tell you shocked

I'm sure it was awesome while Dreger was carrying water for them though

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
Come on man
Breaking his silence with a "i wanna stay in Toronto" like Nylander last summer is like not too much to ask for.
To be honest his interviews were very ****ing concerning like he doesnt care

Nylander said that yet most of the fan base still hates him even now after he signed.

What's the difference? The fans can always hate anyone for no f***ing reason.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
These young guys are clearly just trying to stay away and their agent handles everything while they try not to worry about anything.

I'm not saying that's good or bad, just saying this Marner discussion is pointless until a contract is signed.

I have to think the looming lockout is a big part of this for all the RFA's and their agents.

But damn look at Marner's family. They are set already and scrounging for more and that's their right.

You think anyone related to Marner needs to apply for OSAP?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If, (and that is a big if because I don't fully believe the story) Shanahan turned down a Marner deal overruling Dubas the only real reason I could see being is nothing to do with cap hit, and more to do contract structure. Say Marner gets a frontloaded deal on 10.5m a year which pays him 14m in signing bonus and salary this year, plus full lockout protection. That would put the Leafs at 107m this year which blows the league out of the water and that's before all the backroom operation. The other is, if its fully lock out protected for 20-21, I can't see them being ecstatic about owing 33.6m on top of potentially 13m to 14m to Marner in salary bonus, so almost 50m, in a year that could potentially be fully locked out. I can't see Dubas being overruled on cap issues. It would have to be a financial matter that Shanahan is hearing about from the board and Frisdahl on. There is no other real reasoning for me to believe Shanahan decided to interfere.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
You should watch more hockey son.

I mean, no one reports to camp without a contract. I'm not even sure how it is really news. You'd be an idiot to risk tearing a knee or getting seriously injured.

Yes, because players don't improve between the ages of 20 and 21....... Let's not act like this was all Tavares and Marner didn't take large steps in his development. This isn't some 25-year-old appearing out of nowhere. This is a 4th overall pick who has steadily progressed in an elite fashion.
Im obviously being a little facetious but if you seriously think Shanny is gonna get rid of his hand picked GM over Marner you're gonna be sadly disappointed.

Shanny says that if you wanna be here you have to look at the old Red Wings and how they took discounts to win cups and now a hometown Toronto boy and his greed are bigger than the team? I see the Leafs making an example out of Mitch.

The only reason they wouldn't trade him is not because they couldn't get assets. I'm sure other GM's would give a boatload of players, picks, prospects. No, the only reason they wouldn't trade him is because the other team would wanna work out a deal with the Marner camp first and I'm almost 100% sure NO team would wanna pay this egomaniac as the highest paid winger in the game like he thinks he's worth

Reactions: SAMCRO44

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Im obviously being a little facetious but if you seriously think Shanny is gonna get rid of his hand picked GM over Marner you're gonna be sadly disappointed.

Shanny says that if you wanna be here you have to look at the old Red Wings and how they took discounts to win cups and now a hometown Toronto boy and his greed are bigger than the team? I see the Leafs making an example out of Mitch.

The only reason they wouldn't trade him is not because they couldn't get assets. I'm sure other GM's would give a boatload of players, picks, prospects. No, the only reason they wouldn't trade him is because the other team would wanna work out a deal with the Marner camp first and I'm almost 100% sure NO team would wanna pay this egomaniac as the highest paid winger in the game like he thinks he's worth
Shanny's quote on that was bullshit. Detroit constantly paid a premium in a non-cap world. Fedorov took a discount? I remember him signing an insane contract pill contract with Carolina that made the Red Wings pay out a fortune in bonuses that he never could have reached in Hurricanes.

The team has to take discounts? Sure didn't see that in either Willy or Matthews deal. The time to set the precedent was with Nylander, and we didn't. It'd be stupid for your example to be set on a 90 point just turning 22-year-old winger. Neither of the other big 3 left a penny on the table. Shanahan's statement was misguided and stupid.

Fans here take contract posturing way too personally.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

He had the most endorsement money on the team last year. Never be face of the team lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad