Salary Cap: Marner contract discussion XVII (continued)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
'I haven't paid much attention to the details surrounding a pile of cash coming my way, which also determines where i'm gonna live.'

mrw-i-see-a-construction-ahead-sign-on-the-highway-but-no-evidence-that-construction-is-ac-occurring-28416.gif

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
That's that akwward dirt right there if y'all ask me sire. Seen it all and lived it. My otha brotha got some children who is teenagers. Marner looking that part and acting it out just like them... that's pretty sad mayne. Some leafs suckas is real great but at the same tyme golden spoon. People (human beings) should be be saying the right thang, whatever comes out of their mouths. That's an understanbale act right thurr and a hard situation. But be a man already. Sign that thang up and be a legendary maple leaf. You already got lovas. Don't get more hatas. Don't get even that first one. You ain't got one, yet.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I’ve been pretty vocal about not liking how the Marner camp has handled the negotiations, and part of me thinks we may be better off spending the Mitch money on D, but I thought he handled this fine.

Nothing to see here, just a kid raising money for charity

Reactions: nuck

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto

Don't see anything wrong with Marner's comments...some (most) players have agents and some don't. It's not his job to negotiate a contract, if it were then he may as well fire Ferris. I think Mitch was extremely classy given he was answering hockey questions at a charity event, IMO 9/10 players would tell the reporter to f*** off...Marner is the 10th guy who is way too polite.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
The same people who latched onto every media rumor during those Nylander sure seem to dismiss every media source now which is interesting.

Cutting out the journalist middle men, Ferris went on TSN talk radio before the season and publicly trashed the Matthew's deal. Whoch imo was pretty telling evidence ("straight from the horses mouth") on how these negotiations were going to unfold
Sigh...with you its always about Nylander

Reactions: dsred

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta

Don't see anything wrong with Marner's comments...some (most) players have agents and some don't. It's not his job to negotiate a contract, if it were then he may as well fire Ferris. I think Mitch was extremely classy given he was answering hockey questions at a charity event, IMO 9/10 players would tell the reporter to **** off...Marner is the 10th guy who is way too polite.

Oh sure, he really went the extra mile. His charity event has no one showing up if he isn't a Toronto Maple Leaf. So if he's leveraging that then he better expect to answer questions. And considering he didn't actually give any answers to those hockey questions he was hardly doing anything different than telling the reporter to f*** off.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Oh sure, he really went the extra mile. His charity event has no one showing up if he isn't a Toronto Maple Leaf. So if he's leveraging that then he better expect to answer questions. And considering he didn't actually give any answers to those hockey questions he was hardly doing anything different than telling the reporter to **** off.

You have to respect him for using his star power to draw a crowd to a charity probably ~5 people would have shown up to otherwise. He's a Toronto boy through and through, doing whatever he can to give back just like he's always said.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Right which is pretty much what I was saying. No one gains out of this leak. But as I and many others have said there is just no way this is true leak
Not sure about that. Marner is a pretty popular fellow and I'm not sure it is great for the leafs management if they lose Marner and they aren't united. Marner is a great player. If the leafs suffer without him and he does very well elsewhere, Shanny might not want to have his name solely attached to a decision that causes a huge backlash in leaf land. To distance himself from that fiasco, he might have to make a management change.
Pulling out the popcorn and trying to figure out whether this is a dumb move by Dubas for not standing by his boss or a defensive one because he figures he will be the sacrificial lamb one way or the other.
The Leafs are not like other teams. Stuff like this can be explosive

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Ouch. That interview was hard to watch. I get the gut feeling Mitch is gone. Not once was there anything like "I want to remain a leaf" or "something will hopefully get worked out soon" etc. No bones thrown to the fanbase at all that he wants to be in blue and white. Closest it got was his other interview where he said he hopes to be there for camp. Asked what would you say to fans worried about you signing an offer sheet he just says "uhh leaving that to my agent". You decide where you want to play buddy. You don't lose leverage by saying "my hope is to be a leaf for a long time" or something simplistic and routine. I think his time here is coming to a close. And at his reported ask...that's for the best I'm afraid.

That was pure contempt there. Not the "Fun Guy Mitch" we're used to seeing palling around with Martin and Marleau.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Not sure about that. Marner is a pretty popular fellow and I'm not sure it is great for the leafs management if they lose Marner and they aren't united. Marner is a great player. If the leafs suffer without him and he does very well elsewhere, Shanny might not want to have his name solely attached to a decision that causes a huge backlash in leaf land. To distance himself from that fiasco, he might have to make a management change.
Pulling out the popcorn and trying to figure out whether this is a dumb move by Dubas for not standing by his boss or a defensive one because he figures he will be the sacrificial lamb one way or the other.
The Leafs are not like other teams. Stuff like this can be explosive

That popularity is taking a bit of a hit right now and the offersheet stuff was just straight up dumb, if you want the fan base to pressure management pissing off large swaths of it is extremely counterproductive

I also seriously doubt Shanahan is ditching Dubas after one full season and a very strong offseason to this point either, that's even presuming this report isn't complete bull****, if anything that makes it sound like Shanahan wants to really put the screws to Marner

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this isn't the Toronto Maple Marner's and if he needs to go so be it

I'm sure the Raptors don't regret there last trade that involved a fan favorite, it's just another example of nobody being more important than the team

Reactions: biotk

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
That popularity is taking a bit of a hit right now and the offersheet stuff was just straight up dumb, if you want the fan base to pressure management pissing off large swaths of it is extremely counterproductive

I also seriously doubt Shanahan is ditching Dubas after one full season and a very strong offseason to this point either, that's even presuming this report isn't complete bull****, if anything that makes it sound like Shanahan wants to really put the screws to Marner

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this isn't the Toronto Maple Marner's and if he needs to go so be it

I'm sure the Raptors don't regret there last trade that involved a fan favorite, it's just another example of nobody being more important than the team
There isnt a owner in the league that would pick a 1 year GM over Marner. Give your head a shake. This could be career ending for Dubas considering he had a chance to lock Marner in last year. We can and we will gm whose top priority was signing Marner by July 1st is running out of time.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Marner says he'd skip Maple Leafs camp without contract
TORONTO -- Mitchell Marner still has about two months to sign a contract before the Toronto Maple Leafs begin training camp in September, but the restricted free agent forward said Thursday if an agreement is not in place by then, he likely will not attend.

"Probably not," Marner said. "There's so much risk with that and it's just something you don't want to risk."

Marner, who led the Maple Leafs with 94 points (26 goals, 68 assists) in 82 games last season, said he is staying out of the negotiations, instead letting agent Darren Ferris handle the process.

"Hopefully sooner than later (something gets done)," Marner said. "I want to be there for the start of camp (Sept. 13), so hopefully something will get done by then.

"My agent and (Maple Leafs general manager) Kyle (Dubas) are doing it and they're going to figure something out. I haven't been involved too much, I've been letting my agent deal with all this stuff and let him do the talking for me."
Marner was asked if he would consider signing an offer sheet if one was extended to him by another NHL team. Toronto could choose to match any offer sheet or receive NHL Draft pick compensation based on its value.

"Like I said, I'm just going to leave that to my agent, I've been staying out of all that stuff," the 22-year-old said

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

If it true, I don't think it means that Shanahan wants to put the screws to Marner. I think it means that the Leafs have decided what they think Marner is worth and Shanahan has no interest in budging off that. On the other hand, you could be right. I could see someone like Shanahan deciding that he has enough of Ferris and Paul Marner, but I hope that the Leafs are leaving emotion aside and simply basing this on value.

Reactions: Kiwi

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
There isnt a owner in the league that would pick a 1 year GM over Marner. Give your head a shake. This could be career ending for Dubas considering he had a chance to lock Marner in last year. We can and we will gm whose top priority was signing Marner by July 1st is running out of time.
Marner should be shining Dubas’ shoes for getting him a center who turned him into a 90+ point player because before that he couldn’t even hit 70 points.

Now because he’s had a career year like a few others who’ve coincidentally had career years playing with Tavares he wants to be paid the most money of any winger in the game? Pffft, he can sit all season for all I care.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Marner should be shining Dubas’ shoes for getting him a center who turned him into a 90+ point player because before that he couldn’t even hit 70 points.

Now because he’s had a career year like a few others who’ve coincidentally had career years playing with Tavares he wants to be paid the most money of any winger in the game? Pffft, he can sit all season for all I care.
You should watch more hockey son.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad