Salary Cap: Marner contract discussion XVII (continued)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I mean, no one reports to camp without a contract. I'm not even sure how it is really news. You'd be an idiot to risk tearing a knee or getting seriously injured.

Marner should be shining Dubas’ shoes for getting him a center who turned him into a 90+ point player because before that he couldn’t even hit 70 points.

Now because he’s had a career year like a few others who’ve coincidentally had career years playing with Tavares he wants to be paid the most money of any winger in the game? Pffft, he can sit all season for all I care.
Yes, because players don't improve between the ages of 20 and 21....... Let's not act like this was all Tavares and Marner didn't take large steps in his development. This isn't some 25-year-old appearing out of nowhere. This is a 4th overall pick who has steadily progressed in an elite fashion.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
There isnt a owner in the league that would pick a 1 year GM over Marner. Give your head a shake. This could be career ending for Dubas considering he had a chance to lock Marner in last year. We can and we will gm whose top priority was signing Marner by July 1st is running out of time.
Dubas desperately needing to overpay Marner to save his career simply isn't the reality, thank God.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
There isnt a owner in the league that would pick a 1 year GM over Marner. Give your head a shake. This could be career ending for Dubas considering he had a chance to lock Marner in last year. We can and we will gm whose top priority was signing Marner by July 1st is running out of time.

As far as I can see Dubas position has improved, clearly the offersheet threat hasn't come to fruition as yet, so why anybody would fire him now is beyond rational comprehension

Do you honestly think Shanahan would veto a deal that was a steal for the club? If this is true it's clear the number or term were unacceptable to him and to favourable to Marner
That doesn't sound like a guy who's looking to fire the GM to keep Marner happy to me

If it true, I don't think it means that Shanahan wants to put the screws to Marner. I think it means that the Leafs have decided what they think Marner is worth and Shanahan has no interest in budging off that. On the other hand, you could be right. I could see someone like Shanahan deciding that he has enough of Ferris and Paul Marner, but I hope that the Leafs are leaving emotion aside and simply basing this on value.

I'd imagine they would be

I seriously doubt this is true however, but if it is that suggests to me that the contract beyond the point Shanahan feels is acceptable for the calibre of player Marner is and he will not sign off on it

For all we know it could be the Matthews deal and I'd tell Dubas and co to **** off as well

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
As far as I can see Dubas position has improved, clearly the offersheet threat hasn't come to fruition as yet, so why anybody would fire him now is beyond rational comprehension

Do you honestly think Shanahan would veto a deal that was a steal for the club? If this is true it's clear the number or term were unacceptable to him and to favourable to Marner
That doesn't sound like a guy who's looking to fire the GM to keep Marner happy to me

I'd imagine they would be

I seriously doubt this is true however, but if it is that suggests to me that the contract beyond the point Shanahan feels is acceptable for the calibre of player Marner is and he will not sign off on it

For all we know it could be the Matthews deal and I'd tell Dubas and co to **** off as well

If this happened the "go back to the drawing board" reason was probably term. Can't imagine Shanny will be happy with anything less than 5-6 years.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

It's not the GM's fault that the player is being unreasonable in negotiations. If he's seeking a dollar amount the organization doesn't think he's worth and there isn't another NHL team willing to give that money in offer sheet, what does it say about the player?

There was never any point Dubas could have locked up Marner. He refused to negotiate in season, complained about Matthews contract the day it was signed, was intent on testing restricted free agency and now here we are.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
He needs a contract and not massivly overpay

I'd imagine that's why Marner isn't signed right now, a new GM isn't changing that if Shanahan wants something "team friendly"

If this happened the "go back to the drawing board" reason was probably term. Can't imagine Shanny will be happy with anything less than 5-6 years.

Nothing wrong with a bridge, something in the 4 to 5 year range is pretty unappetizing though

Reactions: Macallan18

shakermaker

Nov 16, 2006
Mississauga
I mean, no one reports to camp without a contract. I'm not even sure how it is really news. You'd be an idiot to risk tearing a knee or getting seriously injured.

Yes, because players don't improve between the ages of 20 and 21....... Let's not act like this was all Tavares and Marner didn't take large steps in his development. This isn't some 25-year-old appearing out of nowhere. This is a 4th overall pick who has steadily progressed in an elite fashion.

From 2013 - 2015 Tavares had over 200 NHL points

Marner had none

What do you think about that

/S

Feb 24, 2017
I have a feeling they're going to tell Mitch he either signs before the season starts or he's sitting for the year. You've gotta draw a line in the sand at some point. Marner had a more than reasonable 10x8 offer on the table.
How is that reasonable when Dubas caved so hard to matthews in both salary and term? Marner isn’t both 1.5 per year and 3 additional years of team control worse than Matthews.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

Sure, but when's the last time the Toronto Maple Leafs signed a superstar #1 centre as an UFA in his prime who wanted to come home, and it so happens a highly skilled young winger gets to play with him in the final year of an ELC?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Plenty wrong with a bridge.

Nothing wrong with it, a couple of years of cheap then 8 years straight out of it with Marner playing his best years with us

Kucherov did it, his was a 3 year bridge if I remember correctly but same basic principle

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
It's not the GM's fault that the player is being unreasonable in negotiations. If he's seeking a dollar amount the organization doesn't think he's worth and there isn't another NHL team willing to give that money in offer sheet, what does it say about the player?

There was never any point Dubas could have locked up Marner. He refused to negotiate in season, complained about Matthews contract the day it was signed, was intent on testing restricted free agency and now here we are.
Revisionist history. Utter bs

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
From 2013 - 2015 Tavares had over 200 NHL points

Marner had none

What do you think about that

/S
Marner had 94 points last year, Tavares had 88? I can pull these stupid arguments too.

Sure, but when's the last time the Toronto Maple Leafs signed a superstar #1 centre as an UFA in his prime who wanted to come home, and it so happens a highly skilled young winger gets to play with him in the final year of an ELC?
It hasn't and is unlikely to happen again. When is the last time the Leafs had a winger as talented as Marner though? Especially when you factor in age. Marner lucked out on linemates this year, but he also killed it last year when he got Kadri instead of Bozak. Lets not act like this is some guy just getting gifted points. As the best player on his line as a 20 year old he put up 69 points. And, that is also ignoring he's an elite PP player, who doesn't get usage on the PP like most star PP players of his ilk.

Reactions: Macallan18

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Nothing wrong with it, a couple of years of cheap then 8 years straight out of it with Marner playing his best years with us

Kucherov did it, his was a 3 year bridge if I remember correctly but same basic principle

It's not an all or nothing thing. There are drawbacks to a bridge. To say there's "nothing wrong" with it is ignoring the consequences.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Who is participating Marner’s dopey little skills competition? Is Matthews there?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Other than he wants to get to UFA status and test he market. Allowing him to be first to UFA is not a bad concession for the Leafs to give up.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
TSN have a salary cap to deal with? Because if not I couldn't give a rat's ass

I'm sure this management team won't balk at something fair for a player like Marner, there just not going to blow there brains out like you seem to want

If Marner wants to stay he will work with the team and stay, it's as simple as that

He's doing his ******* job, if you don't want clowns in the media giving you **** about offersheets perhaps he shouldn't have been leaking to Dreger like a bloody sieve
Hypocrisy at its finest.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It's not an all or nothing thing. There are drawbacks to a bridge. To say there's "nothing wrong" with it is ignoring the consequences.

There's drawbacks to every situation but a 2 years bridge is a decent option in our current situation

Other than he wants to get to UFA status and test he market. Allowing him to be first to UFA is not a bad concession for the Leafs to give up.

If he bridges he's still an RFA, so Matthews and Nylander would hit UFA before him

Marner's 2 deal would be pretty sizable though

Hypocrisy at its finest.

Self reflection is our friend little fella, your not the dude to be throwing around terms like hypocrisy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad