Salary Cap: Marner contract discussion XVII (continued)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Lol. What does the Marner camp gain by leaking a thing like this. Hint. Absolutely nothing.

Right which is pretty much what I was saying. No one gains out of this leak. But as I and many others have said there is just no way this is true leak

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

He always looks so uncomfortable talking about this stuff. I remember the first media availability after Ferris' incendiary comments in the middle of the season, he looked so awkward having to answer for them.

Honestly as mean as it sounds, I think the Leafs can use this. I think Marner is really uncomfortable with the idea of being disliked or seen in a bad light. I legitimately don't believe he'd ever sign an offer sheet for the sheer awkwardness of potentially burning a bridge in his hometown and being forever seen in a different light in Toronto.

On the other hand, Matthews...I love him but I don't think he would really care about looking like a jerk. I don't think he would have been nearly as hesitant or uncomfortable with the idea of this confrontation or a potential offer sheet. Which is all the more reason he needed to be locked up.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
It drives up the presception around the league of his contract value. Teams and agents seemingly use this tactic all the time for contracts, trades ect. How often have the Leafs been linked to a player st the tdl only for it later to be proven to be bunk?

And also to the fans, if he does sign with the Leafs at a deal more in line with his comparables he looks like the hometown hero again.
Lol. Pure no nonsense. It only benefits the leafs info like this being leaked.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Right which is pretty much what I was saying. No one gains out of this leak. But as I and many others have said there is just no way this is true leak
lol. If a Rumor was that Marner turned down 10.75 x 6 years etc. You believe this types of rumours but one that does not make Manet look bad you dismiss.

A Rumor like this only helps the Leafs. Nothing beneficial to Marners camp in this Rumor at all.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
lol. If a Rumor was that Marner turned down 10.75 x 6 years etc. You believe this types of rumours but one that does not make Manet look bad you dismiss.

A Rumor like this only helps the Leafs. Nothing beneficial to Marners camp in this Rumor at all.

It helps no one.

- it makes dubas look like a figurehead for shanny
- it makes shanny look like he can’t handle the blame that would come with gm while being the gm
- it really doesn’t affect marner except that he thought he had a deal and turns out he doesn’t.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
He always looks so uncomfortable talking about this stuff. I remember the first media availability after Ferris' incendiary comments in the middle of the season, he looked so awkward having to answer for them.

Honestly as mean as it sounds, I think the Leafs can use this. I think Marner is really uncomfortable with the idea of being disliked or seen in a bad light. I legitimately don't believe he'd ever sign an offer sheet for the sheer awkwardness of potentially burning a bridge in his hometown and being forever seen in a different light in Toronto.

On the other hand, Matthews...I love him but I don't think he would really care about looking like a jerk. I don't think he would have been nearly as hesitant or uncomfortable with the idea of this confrontation or a potential offer sheet. Which is all the more reason he needed to be locked up.
Totally agree. Also with the ask my agent comment... it's obvious that hes pretty hands off right now. I dont have much hope of anything getting done until it's close to camp and he starts to get a bit antsier

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka

I agree that Mitch knows / feels that signing an offer sheet will have a lasting impact on his career UNLESS he wins a cup. Then its a hall pass.

I would be shocked if Marner signs first of the elite rfa's remaining. Aho's deal lower the market and Ferris is nothing if not shrewd. Maybe Marner's reluctance for conflict will get him signed b4 camp, but I'd be shocked if we see anything until a cpl other rfas sign before him.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It helps no one.

- it makes dubas look like a figurehead for shanny
- it makes shanny look like he can’t handle the blame that would come with gm while being the gm
- it really doesn’t affect marner except that he thought he had a deal and turns out he doesn’t.

How would Marner know anything about a deal being close when he isn't involved?

Agents have the most to gain in these scenarios.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
How would Marner know anything about a deal being close when he isn't involved?

Agents have the most to gain in these scenarios.

I’d say Ferris would gain nothing either. Making dubas and shanny look stupid aren’t going to make them turn around and say ok here’s that contract you wanted. If anything make them hold firm even more.

No one gains in any party from that being true

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I’d say Ferris would gain nothing either. Making dubas and shanny look stupid aren’t going to make them turn around and say ok here’s that contract you wanted. If anything make them hold firm even more.

No one gains in any party from that being true

As his agent I would market it as, "I won the battle with Dubas, but it was too good of a deal for Marner so Shanahan declined to approve."

This isn't just about Marner, it is about Ferris.

That makes Ferris look like he won and Dubas isn't who he should be negotiating with.

It only makes the Leafs look bad, therefore follow the money ...

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
As his agent I would market it as, "I won the battle with Dubas, but it was too good of a deal for Marner so Shanahan declined to approve."

That makes Ferris look like he won and Dubas isn't who he should be negotiating with.

It only makes the Leafs look bad, therefore follow the money ...

I don't know about that, that just looks like a way to make Leafs management say **** you and really dig in and tell you to go **** yourself

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Marner is the one that hasn't signed a contract yet. It's completely fair game when he's going out into an event like this and taking an interview to start hitting him with questions. If it makes him that uncomfortable then he can sign a contract. If this is less than enjoyable for him just wait until it's closer to training camp. I doubt Dubas has loved having to answer questions with these negotiations hanging overhead either, but he's still had to do it.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Ouch. That interview was hard to watch. I get the gut feeling Mitch is gone. Not once was there anything like "I want to remain a leaf" or "something will hopefully get worked out soon" etc. No bones thrown to the fanbase at all that he wants to be in blue and white. Closest it got was his other interview where he said he hopes to be there for camp. Asked what would you say to fans worried about you signing an offer sheet he just says "uhh leaving that to my agent". You decide where you want to play buddy. You don't lose leverage by saying "my hope is to be a leaf for a long time" or something simplistic and routine. I think his time here is coming to a close. And at his reported ask...that's for the best I'm afraid.

Last edited:

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017

You got a point sire. As I was talkin bout earlier like weeks ago: Why does a sucka want more hatas when you already got lovas? He that tru soulja from the heart always the biggest fool for this game all leafs fan lov dat. Why would a gentle sucka want his first hatas? They don't need that, they don't luv dat. Marner only needs lovas. Suckas with love. Ain't even no thang. Marner with his sympatethetic character and persona don't want no hatas. He wants to stay pure. And it's like that.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Maybe the guy took a paycut for the good of the TSN team

TSN have a salary cap to deal with? Because if not I couldn't give a rat's ass

I'm sure this management team won't balk at something fair for a player like Marner, there just not going to blow there brains out like you seem to want

If Marner wants to stay he will work with the team and stay, it's as simple as that

I think his job was to talk about the Marner charity event, interviewer acted like a *****ebag

He's doing his ******* job, if you don't want clowns in the media giving you **** about offersheets perhaps he shouldn't have been leaking to Dreger like a bloody sieve

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Ouch. That interview was hard to watch. I get the gut feeling Mitch is gone. Not once was there anything like "I want to remain a leaf" or "something will hopefully get worked out soon" etc. No bones thrown to the fanbase at all that he wants to be in blue and white. Closest it got was his other interview where he said he hopes to be there for camp. Asked what would you say to fans worried about you signing an offer sheet he just says "uhh leaving that to my agent". You decide where you want to play buddy. You don't lose leverage by saying "my hope is to be a leaf for a long time" or something simplistic and routine. I think his time here is coming to a close. And at his reported ask...that's for the best I'm afraid.
Agreed. Marner is putting all of his faith in an agent who will pull any underhanded tactics he can think of to extract every last cent. He doesn't care about winning or being a leaf, or he'd step in

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
You got a point sire. As I was talkin bout earlier like weeks ago: Why does a sucka want more hatas when you already got lovas? He that tru soulja from the heart always the biggest fool for this game all leafs fan lov dat. Why would a gentle sucka want his first hatas? They don't need that, they don't luv dat. Marner only needs lovas. Suckas with love. Ain't even no thang. Marner with his sympatethetic character and persona don't want no hatas. He wants to stay pure. And it's like that.

Yeah, he wants to keep his distance from the hit.

Telfon Mitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad