Salary Cap: Marner contract discussion XVII (continued)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Shanahan hates Marner confirmed

I don't know if there is any truth to this tweet, but I don't find it as far fetched as people are making it out to be - keeping in mind that this is one person relaying the story that another person heard from a source and that source is probably not one of the parties but someone who knows one of them. First of all it doesn't say that there was a deal and Shanny shot it down. It says that they were close to a deal and Shanny didn't approve. "Close" is in the eye of the beholder, and it would also completely depend on who the source was, so in reality, even if there is any truth to the claim, it could still have been anywhere from really close, to not close at all, or perhaps some kind of proposal that the Marner camp wanted Dubas to run by Shanahan.

Shanny is Dubas' boss. That doesn't make Dubas his puppet, but I still find it bizarre that anyone thinks these major deals are made by any GM or AGM without approval from higher up.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Exactly. He leaks things all the time. I believe it is a scare tactic.
Perhaps a desperate attempt to come up with a reason to pay Marner significantly less after all of the ones presented were easily countered. If true, it is definitely a sign of weakness. Either Dubas stays consistent and gets criticized for is cap mismanagement or he tries to get the Marner camp to back down and get a deal.
Doubtful that Ferris falls for that. Looks like the leverage isn't all on Dubas' side.

Reactions: diceman934

Jun 27, 2005
100% certified bull****. There is just no way that would happen.

Lets pretend that shanny is the behind the scenes GM using dubas as a front so shanny can hide from blame. Firstly thats really gutless by shanny but not important.

Why would shanny not know about the deal parameters before dubas agrees it with marner camp? it makes zero sense, if in this fictional world of shanny the puppet master dubas does his bidding then dubas would have told him the deal before they shook hands with marner camp obviously

You have the concept wrong. Someone above mentioned the car dealership. That's the right idea.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I don't. Look at the terrible Matthews deal. Literally no comparables. Dubas ruined the market with that deal.

If Dubas tried to do it again with Marner we should just fire him. I'd rather have a gm the president could have faith in.

Ummmmm there are actually many comparables

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
I highly doubt his biggest concern is falsely limiting his influence to possibly avoid any blowback
I once knew a guy who owned his own company but acted like an employee when dealing with clients. His go to line was always..."I'd love to get you that deal but my boss would kill me."

Reactions: TorMapleJays

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
He has been bulking up a lot over the past few years. Next season he will likely be about 180-185 which at 6ft is fine.
I'm ok with slow gains. It is easy to gas out as a player if they bulk up too fast.
180 @ 6' is hardly a small fragile winger that one poster here said.

Reactions: thewave

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The hypocrisy around here is astounding at times.

The same people who latched onto every media rumor during those Nylander sure seem to dismiss every media source now which is interesting.

Cutting out the journalist middle men, Ferris went on TSN talk radio before the season and publicly trashed the Matthew's deal. Whoch imo was pretty telling evidence ("straight from the horses mouth") on how these negotiations were going to unfold

Last edited:
Reactions: ULF_55

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Forgot to point out my issue isn't with the "no one" stuff. Those were some cool stats to read.

I don't understand how you expanded on that and applied it to Nylander. Coffey had a Norris trophy before he held out lol.

Then you use a biased opinion to easily bet that Marner will see no drop in production if he went through the same process as Nylander.

If we're going to use your outliers, then Marner isn't even close himself to being Bure or Coffey yet. He's still developing too. If he was ready for that status he wouldn't have disappeared against Bergeron and Marchand in the playoffs. So I'm not sure where you get the confidence to make this bet from besides strong bias towards Marner and strong bias against Nylander.

Not only that your bet would have to include Marner playing on the third line for a good portion plus no PP1. You still making that bet?

I have Marner's poster hanging on my wall and I'm still not taking that bet. If he gets to go back with Tavares and is given his PP1 spot back then okay.

However keep in mind that works against downgrading Nylander because all the examples you use, those players went back to full usage with all the best perks such as PP1, linemates etc.

Outliers and bias aren't really the best ingredients to be taken seriously.
Can you show me any precedent of a player missing camp/preseason/start of the season and having their stats fall as much as Nylander's did?

Reactions: CDN24

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Lol. What does the Marner camp gain by leaking a thing like this. Hint. Absolutely nothing.

It drives up the presception around the league of his contract value. Teams and agents seemingly use this tactic all the time for contracts, trades ect. How often have the Leafs been linked to a player st the tdl only for it later to be proven to be bunk?

And also to the fans, if he does sign with the Leafs at a deal more in line with his comparables he looks like the hometown hero again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad