Salary Cap: Marner contract discussion XIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
You think there is no way that the Leafs don't match a 4 1sts return OS unless it goes above 11M? (earlier you were saying 11.6)

12 years ago today the Sabres matched a 4 1sts return OS on a young Thomas Vanek - who never came close to matching his point totals again and never received a Hart trophy or Selke vote again either. The Oilers drafted Eberle, Paajarvi, Hall and Nugent-Hopkins with the picks they tried to get rid of for Vanek.

It's saturday and the weekend... let's not get technical over <1% of the cap between 11 and 11.6

Leafs window isn't 4-6 years from now... it's now.

IF he signs an offer sheet for less than Matthews... how in the hell does Dubas walk away from that?

Marner has been the most productive Leaf in the playoffs.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
It's saturday and the weekend... let's not get technical over <1% of the cap between 11 and 11.6

Leafs window isn't 4-6 years from now... it's now.

IF he signs an offer sheet for less than Matthews... how in the hell does Dubas walk away from that?

Marner has been the most productive Leaf in the playoffs.

Hi Mitch. We told you what our best offer was - and it was more than fair. We also made it very clear that if someone accepted an offersheet we might not match it. Thank you for your service. I hope that your new team is all that you dreamed it would be.

Now, I have to meet with players who actually want to play here. Good bye.

------
Doesn't seem that hard at all.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Hi Mitch. We told you what our best offer was - and it was more than fair. We also made it very clear that if someone accepted an offersheet we might not match it. Thank you for your service. I hope that your new team is all that you dreamed it would be.

Now, I have to meet with players who actually want to play here. Good bye.

------
Doesn't seem that hard at all.

Dear Toronto Maple Leaf Fans,

With Marner's departure, we expect that our prime window to challenge for the Cup has now been extended into 2024 - 2026.

Keep in mind that this date might be extended further. In 2019-20, we've signed a rash of 1 year players and we might not be able to keep them. And of course, Auston wants to go to Arizona in 4 years but don't worry... we promise to be competitive and will continue to entertain you on the ice.

We thank you for your patience.

Yeah... that's hard.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

With Marner's departure, we expect that our prime window to challenge for the Cup has now been extended into 2024 - 2026.

Keep in mind that this date might be extended further. In 2019-20, we've signed a rash of 1 year players and we might not be able to keep them. And of course, Auston wants to go to Arizona in 4 years but don't worry... we promise to be competitive and will continue to entertain you on the ice.

Yeah... that's hard.

No player is more important the team, and every decision we make is based on what is best for the team's chances of winning the Stanley Cup. We have a solid core of players who want to be here. I understand that some fans have a real hard on for locally born players and think that any player who was born in the US doesn't want to be here, but bigotry has no place here.

In the summer of 2019 we signed and traded for a number of players who will be UFAs in a year. Now we have the cap space to re-sign them. We also have acquired 4 first round draft picks, some of which we might use to facilitate trades during the season to improve our team further. We feel that we will be icing our best and most competitive team this season - full of players who actually want to be here - and will continue to entertain you on the ice.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

Yeah... that's hard.
Marner is not the team. Losing him for nothing and being unable to afford him on a reasonable contract might be tough to explain. Refusing to give into his ludicrous demands and being well compensated for his departure could not be easier to sell to fans, at least I'd hope so

Reactions: biotk

Chris18820

Nov 11, 2018
I don't think so... just opinion of course.

But a $10.6MM deal crosses the threshold. That would be matched. All the way up to $11.6MM is going to be hard for Dubas not to match. Beyond Matthews... you are making Marner the highest paid Leaf and that's where he starts to have the out.
at 10.6 I think we probably match it but once it starts getting to the mid 11s I think its time to take that massive amount of cap space and 4 1st rounders.
We could get a couple really solid pieces using 4 1sts

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011

Yeah... that's hard.

Yikes. I thought the Nylander fans in that thread during his contract negotiations was bad. I think the Marner fans have passed them after reading over this thread lately.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I think the second it crosses the 4x 1sts threshold it's a done deal. Marner isn't worth that, you can get talent to fill his position and a defender for that currency and if not that, we have free cap to sign someone.

Did all the past Cup champs miss Marner on their teams? Did St. Louis? :sarcasm:

We need to build a TEAM to win the Cup, not offer a bunch of overpayments. The Leafs could do alot with $11 million worth of cap space and 4 1st round picks!

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

No player is more important the team, and every decision we make is based on what is best for the team's chances of winning the Stanley Cup. We have a solid core of players who want to be here. I understand that some fans have a real hard on for locally born players and think that any player who was born in the US doesn't want to be here, but bigotry has no place here.

In the summer of 2019 we signed and traded for a number of players who will be UFAs in a year. Now we have the cap space to re-sign them. We also have acquired 4 first round draft picks, some of which we might use to facilitate trades during the season to improve our team further. We feel that we will be icing our best and most competitive team this season - full of players who actually want to be here - and will continue to entertain you on the ice.

That’s funny.

To think that Marner doesn’t “like” Toronto and you take that as a personal slight.

It’s a business.

Marner leaves and we aren’t contenders this year or next. Pretty simple.

I love draft picks but if you believe next year is the year... losing Marner would be a massive gut punch.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
That’s funny.

To think that Marner doesn’t “like” Toronto and you take that as a personal slight.

It’s a business.

Marner leaves and we aren’t contenders this year or next. Pretty simple.

I love draft picks but if you believe next year is the year... losing Marner would be a massive gut punch.
Depends what's done with the picks. 4 firsts is a huge influx of assets, you don't need to wait 4 years to make use of them.

Reactions: biotk

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Yikes. I thought the Nylander fans in that thread during his contract negotiations was bad. I think the Marner fans have passed them after reading over this thread lately.
I wonder how the fans of our big three stack up against each other on our board.

Which one of the three would you think has the most fans?

IMO,

1. Marner
2. Matthews
3. Nylander

?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Depends what's done with the picks. 4 firsts is a huge influx of assets, you don't need to wait 4 years to make use of them.

It takes 4 years to use them all. Maybe 5-6 before all 4 are in the line up.

It's not like you take all 4 next year.

By that time... Tavares is +33. Rielly is +30. Andersen is +35.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
It takes 4 years to use them all. Maybe 5-6 before all 4 are in the line up.

It's not like you take all 4 next year.

By that time... Tavares is +33. Rielly is +30. Andersen is +35.

Minus the 1st the Leafs used to unload Marleau, the Leafs would have 7 1st round picks in 4 years...that's alot of trading chips...don't need to use them all, but 3 1st in the next 2 years could be pretty enticing.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I thought there would be an offer-sheet edition by now...:sarcasm:
Maybe Ferris told them Only accept OS once Kawhi dies down or Mitch won’t get the spotlight he deserves, and other teams also didn’t want to OS Mitch bc Paul might think it is a slight to them to play second fiddle to Kawhi, someone who actually won something for a Toronto team.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Maybe Ferris told them Only accept OS once Kawhi dies down or Mitch won’t get the spotlight he deserves, and other teams also didn’t want to OS Mitch bc Paul might think it is a slight to them to play second fiddle to Kawhi, someone who actually won something for a Toronto team.

Who thought Kawhi was holding back the Toronto Maple Leafs too with his indecision, as he did with several NBA teams...now the spotlight is on Marner to be holding the Leafs back too...it's only fair...:sarcasm:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Who thought Kawhi was holding back the Toronto Maple Leafs too with his indecision, as he did with several NBA teams...now the spotlight is on Marner to be holding the Leafs back too...it's only fair...:sarcasm:
Mitch is probably somewhere in Yellowknife waiting for MLSE to send their private plane to pick him up.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
We've been promised that for about a week, my balls are practically blue at this point

I'm starting to think it's never going to happen :laugh:

Never say never. He might be just waiting for Kawhiwatch to die down in order to not tell slighted during #marnerwatch

Reactions: Kiwi

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I wonder how Toronto managed to not have a first round pick this year. It is almost like you could.....trade draft picks.

Yep. I'm a big fan of draft picks.

But I'm also realistic. We drafted a guy at #4 overall. And he's a good one.

And they aren't walking away if the offer sheet is below what Matthews signed for.

They just aren't.

I'm not vested in whether he stays or goes. Not a Mitch fan. Good player. But good players come and go.

I'm following the business and politics. And both of those say that if an offer sheet is on the table for less than Matthews... the Leafs match. If it's more... they walk.

Sorry. That's just the way it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad