Salary Cap: Marner contract discussion XIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
For less games than Kadri went PPG in the shortened season. Hot streaks happen, it doesn't mean Marner was a PPG guy last year.
Quite the hot streak. I mean Marner was so lucky to have Tavares there to tap those goals in the net. Looked a ton of Marners assists were just deflected off his own team mates...into the net.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
For less games than Kadri went PPG in the shortened season. Hot streaks happen, it doesn't mean Marner was a PPG guy last year.

Agreed. And Marner's uptick in the second half of the year before Tavares was due to an unsustainable PP surge in that second half. He only had 2 more 5v5 points with Kadri than he did with Bozak playing essentially the exact same number of minutes (424 vs 434).

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
What does that mean to me? Absolutely nothing
Thankfully, it most likely matters to those handing out the contracts.

Aho and Marner are very similar comparables. Regardless of the facts that prove it "not meaning anything to you." Aho signed for 8.5x5

Let's not have another Dubas dramatic overpayment.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I think Dubas will match until 10.5 x 5 because the compensation sucks (2 firsts, a second, a third). Anything that gives him back the 4 firsts won't be matched.

My bet is that Dubas matches anything under 11.6. Over that and he really has to think.

If Marner gets a $12MM offer sheet... I don't see him coming back here.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
My bet is that Dubas matches anything under 11.6. Over that and he really has to think.

You think teams are that stupid? One things for sure though, we have an absolute Muskoka 5 situation here and maybe worse.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
You think teams are that stupid? One things for sure though, we have an absolute Muskoka 5 situation here and maybe worse.

Yep. I think they will be.

If they want Marner... they have to make it a deal that the Leafs won't match. Canes matched Aho as the figure wasn't insane.

They've got to give Dubas a public "out" to walk away. The last offer sheet "accepted" for picks in the league was Dustin Penner in 2007. There have only been 6 offer sheets extended in the 10+ years since that and every one has been matched.

Dubas would need a deal that is financially ridiculous with good compensation in order to walk. If there was something in the 10-11MM range that was signed by the Marner camp... it would be very politically challenging to walk away from it.

So... it's got to be stupid for it to work.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Yep. I think they will be.

If they want Marner... they have to make it a deal that the Leafs won't match. Canes matched Aho as the figure wasn't insane.

They've got to give Dubas a public "out" to walk away. The last offer sheet "accepted" for picks in the league was Dustin Penner in 2007. There have only been 6 offer sheets extended in the 10+ years since that and every one has been matched.

Dubas would need a deal that is financially ridiculous with good compensation in order to walk. If there was something in the 10-11MM range that was signed by the Marner camp... it would be very politically challenging to walk away from it.

So... it's got to be stupid for it to work.

I think the second it crosses the 4x 1sts threshold it's a done deal. Marner isn't worth that, you can get talent to fill his position and a defender for that currency and if not that, we have free cap to sign someone.

Reactions: biotk

Slot

Mar 6, 2012

The moment compensation goes past 4 firsts I don't see Dubas matching.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I think the second it crosses the 4x 1sts threshold it's a done deal. Marner isn't worth that, you can get talent to fill his position and a defender for that currency and if not that, we have free cap to sign someone.

I don't think so... just opinion of course.

But a $10.6MM deal crosses the threshold. That would be matched. All the way up to $11.6MM is going to be hard for Dubas not to match. Beyond Matthews... you are making Marner the highest paid Leaf and that's where he starts to have the out.

Reactions: MyBudJT

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I don't think so... just opinion of course.

But a $10.6MM deal crosses the threshold. That would be matched. All the way up to $11.6MM is going to be hard for Dubas not to match. Beyond Matthews... you are making Marner the highest paid Leaf and that's where he starts to have the out.

4x unprotected 1sts are like solid gold. They can't protect them,

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
4x unprotected 1sts are like solid gold. They can't protect them,

Leafs have invested in Marner as part of the core. He's worth in the neighbourhood of Matthews and Tavares. Anyone can see that.

A team that really wants him... needs to make it tough for the Leafs to match. Offering a Toews contract.. circa 2014... or Patrick Kane contract circa 2015... won't make it tough to match.

That would be a bargin for the Leafs.

Reactions: dsred

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Who is Dubas trading to match Marner at 11.5? Kerfoot? Johnsson? Kapanen?

It's a pickle indeed.

Lefas have about $11M from the last I read. I suspect that Johnsson could be gone to make that happen.

But if the number s $10.5-11MM ... no way this isn't matched.

Reactions: dsred

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Leafs have invested in Marner as part of the core. He's worth in the neighbourhood of Matthews and Tavares. Anyone can see that.

A team that really wants him... needs to make it tough for the Leafs to match. Offering a Toews contract.. circa 2014... or Patrick Kane contract circa 2015... won't make it tough to match.

That would be a bargin for the Leafs.
And you've outlined precisely why such an offer sheet won't happen.

They'd have to go FAR above decades of a league wide set precedent in order to even make the leafs consider not matching... all while losing 4 first round picks.

It's NOT going to happen.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
And you've outlined precisely why such an offer sheet won't happen.

They'd have to go FAR above decades of a league wide set precedent in order to even make the leafs consider not matching... all while losing 4 first round picks.

It's NOT going to happen.

I don't see an offer sheet likely. Though if I were trying to gamble as an opponent... a $12.2MM deal would be hard for the Leafs to match.

But in the end... I'm stuck with a $12.2MM deal and 4 lost 1st round picks. Only an owner with an ego is going to approve something like that and not fire my ass a year from now.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
But if the number s $10.5-11MM ... no way this isn't matched.

You think there is no way that the Leafs don't match a 4 1sts return OS unless it goes above 11M? (earlier you were saying 11.6)

12 years ago today the Sabres matched a 4 1sts return OS on a young Thomas Vanek - who never came close to matching his point totals again and never received a Hart trophy or Selke vote again either. The Oilers drafted Eberle, Paajarvi, Hall and Nugent-Hopkins with the picks they tried to get rid of for Vanek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad