Salary Cap: Marner contract discussion XIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
It's all subjective.

From our perspective, someone offering us $1M would seem like a blessing. If you're Mitch Marner, $9.5M might seem like an insult...

That's why we look at the cap percentage other rfa wingers with Marner's numbers put up.

If he's demanding far more than them, he's being greedy and unreasonable.

I'll never understand why greed is defended so much by sports fans. It seems most of the people defending Marner's right (a millionaire top 0.00001 percenter) to take his team hostage get super angry when people like teachers or postal workers go on strike. Jobs where people barely even get by.

I just don't understand it.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Mitch Marner and the story of the Prodigal Son...

There was a General Manager with two elite players. The younger one said to the G.M., ‘Dubas, give me MORE than my share of the Salary Cap.’ So the GM did as he was asked.

Not long after that, the younger player got hurt over and over again, dogged it while UNDERproducing during the regular season, and refused to play the P.K..

Still, whenever the G.M. saw him, he was filled with compassion. He ran to his younger player, threw his arms around him and kissed him.

The younger players said to him, "I have UNDERproduced, been injured over and over again, and refused to work the PK, I am NO longer worthy to be called The Best Leaf."

But the GM said to his servants, "Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on Auston. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate. For this favourite player of mine is a Leaf." So they began to celebrate.

Meanwhile, the older son was working hard on the ice. When he came to the office, he heard music and dancing. So he called one of the servants and asked him what was going on. The servant said : "The GM has killed the fattened calf because Matthews once scored 4 goals in his first game".

The older player became angry and refused to go in. So the GM went out and pleaded with him. But Marner answered the GM, "Look! All these years I’ve been slaving for you. I have produced more points. I have never gotten hurt and I have worked the PK. Yet, you've never given me a good contract so I could celebrate with my friends.

But when this player of yours who has UNDERproduced, sat on his fat ass while I work the PK, and can't stay healthy comes home, you kill the fattened calf for him!"

“‘Mitch,’ the GM said, ‘I have given all the Cap money to Auston and you are screwed. Sorry... NOT SORRY!!!"

Timothy Leary would love this post.

Timothy Francis Leary (October 22, 1920 – May 31, 1996) was an American psychologist and writer known for advocating the exploration of the therapeutic potential of psychedelic drugs under controlled conditions.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
That's why we look at the cap percentage other rfa wingers with Marner's numbers put up.

I'll never understand why greed is defended so much by sports fans. It seems most of the people defending Marner's right (a millionaire top 0.00001 percenter) to take his team hostage get super angry when people like teachers or postal workers go on strike. Jobs where people barely even get by.

That's true. He's being greedy.

As for why he is being defended by fans...

We live vicariously thru him. We can't hold out for $10M/yr plus, but he can, so GO MITCH GO!!!! ;)

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON

There was a General Manager with two elite players. The younger one said to the G.M., ‘Dubas, give me MORE than my share of the Salary Cap.’ So the GM did as he was asked.

Not long after that, the younger player got hurt over and over again, dogged it while UNDERproducing during the regular season, and refused to play the P.K..

Still, whenever the G.M. saw him, he was filled with compassion. He ran to his younger player, threw his arms around him and kissed him.

The younger players said to him, "I have UNDERproduced, been injured over and over again, and refused to work the PK, I am NO longer worthy to be called The Best Leaf."

But the GM said to his servants, "Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on Auston. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate. For this favourite player of mine is a Leaf." So they began to celebrate.

Meanwhile, the older son was working hard on the ice. When he came to the office, he heard music and dancing. So he called one of the servants and asked him what was going on. The servant said : "The GM has killed the fattened calf because Matthews once scored 4 goals in his first game".

The older player became angry and refused to go in. So the GM went out and pleaded with him. But Marner answered the GM, "Look! All these years I’ve been slaving for you. I have produced more points. I have never gotten hurt and I have worked the PK. Yet, you've never given me a good contract so I could celebrate with my friends.

But when this player of yours who has UNDERproduced, sat on his fat ass while I work the PK, and can't stay healthy comes home, you kill the fattened calf for him!"

“‘Mitch,’ the GM said, ‘I have given all the Cap money to Auston and you are screwed. Sorry... NOT SORRY!!!"
Well-written fiction.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Well-written fiction.
When I was a boy, I use to sit in Church and hear this story, but I never understood it. It never made sense - the rotten brother gets everything, while the good brother gets shafted.

When I got older, I found it to be one of the truest Bible parables.

As for whether it applies to Mitch and Matthews, I'll leave that to you to decide. :)

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
When I was a boy, I use to sit in Church and hear this story, but I never understood it. It never made sense - the rotten brother gets everything, while the good brother gets shafted.

As for whether it applies to Mitch and Matthews, I'll leave that to you to decide. :)

Anyone who keeps Ferris as an agent can only be the rotten brother. But regardless, neither has been shafted and Marner has been offered more than he is worth but he still wants much more. Doubly rotten.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
So is there a rumour yet today that an offer sheet is definitely coming..if not let me be the one to make that false but definitive statement that a 12.5 or some other absurd number offer sheet is being prepared. And maybe one fan on this board can start that rumour daily until he actually signs something logical, or gets traded

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
So is there a rumour yet today that an offer sheet is definitely coming..if not let me be the one to make that false but definitive statement that a 12.5 or some other absurd number offer sheet is being prepared. And maybe one fan on this board can start that rumour daily until he actually signs something logical, or gets traded
My sources told me Marner received an offersheet today, but he turned it down. Stay tuned tomorrow where he'll receive a better one from a divisional rival .

Reactions: glue

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
A bunch of nobody analysts are really trying to make a name out of this Marner situation. While I want an offer sheet to come just to see what happens, I don't believe one is coming.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
What should Dubas have done? His options are to give Marner his contract demand, or slowly work him down to a more reasonable contract. Just like Nylander, Marner doesn't have to sign the contracts that Dubas offers.
A 1.6mm less than Matthews contract is already outrageous. Risking losing a player like Marner for the sake of lowballing further relative to what he has given out is incompetent. What was he thinking when he handed out that contract and Marner was close to a 100 point streak?....that he would pay Marner 3mm less? Who does that?

Reactions: MyBudJT

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014

“‘Mitch,’ the GM said, ‘I have given all the Cap money to Auston so you are screwed. Sorry... NOT SORRY!!!"
:laugh: That is awesome.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Why are we offering him 10.5M×5 in the first place?
That's a **** contract at the level of Matthews **** contract

If Dubas offered that without a signed offersheet forcing his hand he's already an absolute failure because that contract is disgusting
Uhhh...Matthews contract is 1.1mm richer than that with a ntc in the last year but dont let that get in the way of your story.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
A 1.6mm less than Matthews contract is already outrageous. Risking losing a player like Marner for the sake of lowballing further relative to what he has given out is incompetent. What was he thinking when he handed out that contract and Marner was close to a 100 point streak?....that he would pay Marner 3mm less? Who does that?

A rookie GM ???

Reactions: Brass Bonanza

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton

I was thinking the same thing. So many naive fans on here with little to no life experience arguing for the 1 percent lol. Meanwhile the middle class and veteran players are getting crushed. Maybe it’s just the entitlement generation thinking everything should just be handed over to them without paying their dues.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
So is there a rumor yet today that an offer sheet is definitely coming..if not let me be the one to make that false but definitive statement that a 12.5 or some other absurd number offer sheet is being prepared. And maybe one fan on this board can start that rumor daily until he actually signs something logical, or gets traded

To support your post...

"... from reputable sources"

FWIW I would take the 4 first rounders if the offer is indeed $12.5 million.

Reactions: glue

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Just wondering out loud. If you're a team that is conceivably okay with offer sheeting Marner at a number the Leafs won't match, and you're already okay with giving up 4 first round picks. Would you give up a 5th to sign him at a more reasonable rate and now screw your own internal cap?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Uhhh...Matthews contract is 1.1mm richer than that with a ntc in the last year but dont let that get in the way of your story.

Uhhh... Matthews contract is a disgrace and he's better

You guys crack me up, all I saw for months was people ******** about the Nylander and Matthews contracts and now you can't wait to dive headlong into another one because Mitch is so dreamy

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Or an incompetent one?

In the Quinn era, I believe Bill Watters was responsible for contract negotiations. Perhaps Shanny fumbled the ball not assigning the task of signing the big 3 to somebody with bigger onions and somebody not so much buddy-buddy with the 3. The buck stops at Shanny.

Reactions: theblackadder

Auston 316

Jun 25, 2016

It doesn’t.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Uhhh... Matthews contract is a disgrace and he's better

You guys crack me up, all I saw for months was people ******** about the Nylander and Matthews contracts and now you can't wait to dive headlong into another one because Mitch is so dreamy
Does Dubas think it is a disgrace? What possible logic pays matthews more than 7.5mm more over 5 years than Marner?

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
In the Quinn era, I believe Bill Watters was responsible for contract negotiations. Perhaps Shanny fumbled the ball not assigning the task of signing the big 3 to somebody with bigger onions and somebody not so much buddy-buddy with the 3. The buck stops at Shanny.
I dont disagree. Dubas should have had training wheels on before he was tasked with signing the biggest 3 contracts of one year in league history

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad