Salary Cap: Marner Contract Discussion - Less than 2 weeks to camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
12.5M was proper math during the season. McDavid is 16.68% cap hit on an 8 year deal, so do Matthews at 12% x whatever projected amount the cap ceiling was supposed to be (it came in less), it should have been 12.45 (or bump to 12.5M) and boom, it made sense.

The whole "it'll cost 13-15M to lock up Matthews for 8 years" narrative was ridiculous. Maybe if you literally didn't counter but 12.5M x 8 years for Matthews should have been done.

Oh well, coulda, shoulda, woulda.

I actually think Marner's deal is done by camp and then we can focus on how Babcock will **** up this season. I swear if our break out strategy is the stretch pass again and the forwards keep flying the zone early, I will lose it.

What in your opinion would be the correct breakout system for Toronto?

I love Tampa's breakout scheme but Columbus imposed a super aggressive 1-2-2 strategy that completely stifled them.

St. Louis used a similar strategy in the playoffs too. Seems like these lesser-skilled teams abuse this to frustrate much more skilled teams.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Agreed $10.86 mil X 8 would reset the RFA winger ceiling and would have to be upper most limit Leafs should go to get Marner signed and then swallow hard knowing they had to overpay to play.

Realistically Marner's price last summer was not Eichel's contract as a comparable but Draisaitl's $8.5 mil X 8 deal the one openly mentioned and discussed as his ask and eventual target.

Eichel deal +$2 mil per season was one comparable used in the Matthews contract negotiations not Marner.

Somewhere between last summer and now there seems to be a very large logical disconnect from reality here, and the only thing that changed is the Matthews contract coming in the middle.

Everytime I read something like this it makes me mad at dubas even more; amateur hour all the way

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
10.5M x 6 would be a huge L for Dubas.
The reality is if a team offered Marner 10.568x5 right now he would probably accept because its 5 years and he knows the Leafs would have to match a max tier 2 offersheet. Anything in the tier 1 range he's risking it and he knows it.

10.5x6 would be a win at this point considering it's the same cap hit and both Marner and JT would be locked in for 6 years together.

I still think it's gonna end up being either 8.416x3 or 10.416x6.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
The reality is if a team offered Marner 10.568x5 right now he would probably accept because its 5 years and he knows the Leafs would have to match a max tier 2 offersheet. Anything in the tier 1 range he's risking it and he knows it.

10.5x6 would be a win at this point considering it's the same cap hit and both Marner and JT would be locked in for 6 years together.

I still think it's gonna end up being either 8.416x3 or 10.416x6.

if a team thought marner was worth that they would offer sheet him. the reason why non of these guys are getting offer sheeted is because no one wants to over pay and give up picks

tmlfan98

Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
if a team thought marner was worth that they would offer sheet him. the reason why non of these guys are getting offer sheeted is because no one wants to over pay and give up picks
No one has to think Marner is actually worth that, they would just be screwing the Leafs. The Leafs would never accept a compensation package of just two 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd for Marner. They would have to match that offersheet.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Do people actually still think that teams would risk screwing themselves over to try to screw the Leafs?

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

How do you think that Marner's endorsement earnings are going to fare after he signs an offer sheet?

Why? Surely if Marner is worth 10.568M per he can carry his own damn line. Run 3 lines equally. Marner with Kerfoot and Mik or Johnsson.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Might as well make up our minds that Marner won't sign for less than $10.5M.

Once everything shakes out, there will be room.

tmlfan98

Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
How do you think that Marner's endorsement earnings are going to fare after he signs and offer sheet?

Why? Surely if Marner is worth 10.568M per he can carry his own damn line. Run 3 lines equally. Marner with Kerfoot and Mik or Johnsson.
If he signs a tier 2 offersheet his endorsement earnings won't change because the Leafs will match.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
If he signs a tier 2 offersheet his endorsement earnings won't change because the Leafs will match.

Why? If Maner signs an OS that indicates he was willing to leave and pretty much destroys his (pure BS) image of the local kid who is just so happy to play at home. You don't think there would be blow back from that? You don't think that companies would view the Marner brand as tainted with the fan base?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Why? If Maner signs an OS that indicates he was willing to leave and pretty much destroys his (pure BS) image of the local kid who is just so happy to play at home. You don't think there would be blow back from that? You don't think that companies would view the Marner brand as tainted with the fan base?
Marner will always be in demand in Toronto. Local kid, starring for the Leafs, the cheques write themselves.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Marner will always be in demand in Toronto. Local kid, starring for the Leafs, the cheques write themselves.

They shouldn't. And if there is such special treatment for hometown boys like Marner, then players from anywhere else should know to stay clear.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
They shouldn't. And if there is such special treatment for hometown boys like Marner, then players from anywhere else should know to stay clear.
If I was advertising and Marner was within my price range, he'd be my first choice.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
If I was advertising and Marner was within my price range, he'd be my first choice.

Good for you. If "Toronto" is more concerned about further enriching an extremely wealthy local kid (with a completely BS image) than winning then they deserve to never get past the first round.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Good for you. If "Toronto" is more concerned about further enriching an extremely wealthy local kid (with a completely BS image) than winning then they deserve to never get past the first round.
I won't argue with you, biotk.

I don't believe it will affect his endorsements.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I won't argue with you, biotk.

I just don't believe it will affect his endorsements.

I don't think it will either, but I think it should. And you never know - if Marner was to sign an OS which the Leafs match and then Marner and the team start off slow I think a large and vocal segment could turn against him. I doubt it. But in my view if you sign an OS and the team matches your days should be numbered on the team.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I don't think it will either, but I think it should. And you never know - if Marner was to sign an OS which the Leafs match and then Marner and the team start off slow I think a large and vocal segment could turn against him. I doubt it. But in my view if you sign an OS and the team matches your days should be numbered on the team.
Fair enough.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
once the games started and he continues to put up points and do those Marner things?....No ,I don't think his 'brand' would be affected.

Reactions: ORRFForever
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad