Salary Cap: Marner Contract Discussion - Less than 2 weeks to camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Admittedly I don't know 100% what goes on behind closed doors, but it sounds like he/his camp are just being greedy SOB's with ego(s) playing a large role.
Seen lots and lots of hockey players come and go over my years. Marner is good, but I've learned they're all easily replaceable in terms of who I want to cheer for.
Wish this forum would go back to topics about hockey. This other stuff is just off topic IMO. Pick a different team or a different sport to cheer about. This crap doesnt belong here.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Wish this forum would go back to topics about hockey. This other stuff is just off topic IMO. Pick a different team or a different sport to cheer about. This crap doesnt belong here.

This whole topic is off topic then. Discussing contracts and cap hits is not talking hockey.

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
What "crap" exactly are you referring to? The fact I believe him to be greedy? The fact I wouldn't miss him if he was gone? What opinion am I not supposed to have that displeases you so that you want it banned?

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
Does somebody force you to read posts you don't like?
Have you ever thought maybe DON'T READ stuff which obviously upsets you (for whatever weird reason) instead of trying to control what everybody else gets to say/read??

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
What "crap" exactly are you referring to? The fact I believe him to be greedy? The fact I wouldn't miss him if he was gone? What opinion am I not supposed to have that displeases you so that you want it banned?
Unless we're somehow getting Patrick Kane back, you're lying to yourself if you think you wouldn't miss Mitch Marner (assuming you like watching a good exciting Leafs team).

He's gonna re-up and we're all gonna act like this never happened, MM is going back to a fan fav and the outagers will turn their teeth back at Babcock.

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
Unless we're somehow getting Patrick Kane back, you're lying to yourself if you think you wouldn't miss Mitch Marner (assuming you like watching a good exciting Leafs team).

He's gonna re-up and we're all gonna act like this never happened, MM is going back to a fan fav and the outagers will turn their teeth back at Babcock.
As I mentioned before, I hope he signs. I really won't lose any sleep though if they trade him (or Nylander) though for a better D.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
If Leafs don’t have Mitch signed for first day of the season, what are the odds of Leafs loading up on another LTIR contract to extend their LTIR relief pool? Say grab Zetterberg from Detroit for another $6m on the cap.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
If Leafs don’t have Mitch signed for first day of the season, what are the odds of Leafs loading up on another LTIR contract to extend their LTIR relief pool? Say grab Zetterberg from Detroit for another $6m on the cap.
He'll be signed and all this thread's worry will be for not.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I wish NHL could devise a NHL salary cap which looks at players' take home pay for a 23 man roster

force a salary cap that is after-tax income; sure different teams will have a different cap structure including taxes but after taxes it would be the same. And they should be revised every year as taxes change

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I wish NHL could devise a NHL salary cap which looks at players' take home pay for a 23 man roster

force a salary cap that is after-tax income; sure different teams will have a different cap structure including taxes but after taxes it would be the same. And they should be revised every year as taxes change
Good idea but too messy.

Plus, we only feel that way because we are fans of a Canadian team. If you were fans of the Lightning, you'd like the advantage.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I'm pretty sure they could check with other companies that have cost differentials for their multinational employees.

Heck, back in the 80's my employer, an international corporation with employees across North America had cost differentials for employees, especially when transferred to Toronto LOL.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Its not fun to read but i check every now and again for posters perspective on Marner. The hockey writers has a big article today insisting dubas tell him a final off and let him sit the season if not accepted!! Hahaa well wouldn’t that be a complete catastrophe of epic proportions.

I think momentum is turning on Marner. Not me! I just want our hard working right winger back. They will work something out like usual. Crazzzzy i tell ya

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Oh you would miss him if he was gone. You likely are so dug in on hating him(not sure just seems you are from what i am quoting) that you would never admit it to anyone.

You give the board a sensible trade option and a damn specific one that could easily happen that we would break even on or possibly win and i might understand your hate you have in.

Actually just save your effort for something constructive instead of coming up with trades that would only be speculation. So don’t do that. I think you might be being harsh. I want Marner signed. We need him

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
This is true. Whoever said Marner has no leverage is sleeping on this

HOW is that leverage in the favor of Marner?

NO ONE wants him at the number he wants and terms. Not the Leafs not anyone.

Marner is losing traction by the day and will probably have to settle for some 3 year deal witch is NOT what he wants. Marner loses. He has to wait 3 years start earning 10+mill. Instead of now.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

What do you think adding Zetterberg would allow the Leafs to do?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
What do you think adding Zetterberg would allow the Leafs to do?

It's another 6M so you could get Gardiner back if you were that way inclined, you'd need to sort out the contracts though which isn't much of an issue

The major problem is that the Zetterberg contract goes for another year after this one which is a real pain in the ass to deal with

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
It's another 6M so you could get Gardiner back if you were that way inclined, you'd need to sort out the contracts though which isn't much of an issue

The major problem is that the Zetterberg contract goes for another year after this one which is a real pain in the ass to deal with

I think some people are confused about how the cap works. The Leafs picked up Clarkson so he, along with Horton, would be able to get the team to the cap (assuming Marner is not yet signed) allowing (hypothetically) all of their combined 10.55M to be freed up by LTIR. Adding Zetterberg would just put the team 6M over the cap, so putting him on LTIR would free up zero dollars (it would still be, hypothetically, 10.55M).

There is no get out jail free card here.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Good idea but too messy.

Plus, we only feel that way because we are fans of a Canadian team. If you were fans of the Lightning, you'd like the advantage.

Who has more clout, Habs and Leafs or Bolts and Panthers? If the clubs who play in grinding tax environments want a change you would think they would get it. Boston and NYR are also in the six highest tax rates and the Cali teams are in the top ten. These teams are the movers and shakers. I am not sure why tax equalization isnt a thing, but it just isn't. The have nots must be using some other arguement to continue to exploit the unbalanced taxes.

shakermaker

Nov 16, 2006
Mississauga
Both JT and Matthews should tell the Leafs they are willing to take a small pay cut - pay BOTH $10.75M, so the Leafs can give Marner the same.

That's the way it should have been in the first place - they all make the same.

You can't renegotiate existing contracts in the NHL. This has never been done in the cap world. Ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad