Salary Cap: Marner Contract Discussion - Less than 2 weeks to camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
As long as Marner and Matthews put up points according to their new AAV cap hits the Leafs will be fine.

JT, AM and soon MM will all have top 10 highest AAV so having them all 3 finish in the top 10 in NHL scoring in 2019-20 will match salaries to production accordingly.

If they under performing their deals it could be a problem.

I think you have to look at %ofCap to get a truer picture of the salary.

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Matthews 6th. in % of cap. Others have already received their money from their % of the cap money. Matthews is % of future cap money.

Leafs have 3 in the top 20, and will have 4 shortly ... unless marner is moved.

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
Why though? All Marner has done is negotiate a new contract after his old contract expired :laugh:
Admittedly I don't know 100% what goes on behind closed doors, but it sounds like he/his camp are just being greedy SOB's with ego(s) playing a large role.
Seen lots and lots of hockey players come and go over my years. Marner is good, but I've learned they're all easily replaceable in terms of who I want to cheer for.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
If Marner or Ferris are smart they'd better hurry before an RFA comparable to his skill and stats signs..aka Raatenen and Point (Point is a center sometimes but wing more oft if I remember right) even if not Raatenen is very comparable.

If say he signs 7x10 or 7 by 9.75 what Marner going to say. Raatenen played less games with slightly..very slightly less points. Hes fast, he drives that line more than MacKinnon. Anyway Marner better hurry

Marner will just say that those other RFA's are not applicable to the Leafs situation and use AM's $11.6M as the bar. See how this works? if another team signed their RFA to $12M...Marner is saying "Look at what he got as an RFA...I want that"...but if he signs for peanuts...they will argue that the "TEAM" salary structure is what they want to negotiate on.

It's always this way with agents. If a guy signs too high..they never disregard it..only the Pasternak deals are thrown out as unicorn contracts that don't apply.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
What if he signs a deal in the next couple weeks, and it turns out that everything you are upset about was nothing to be upset about?

I hope everyone wants that to happen.

Of course there will be some who don't want that to happen because part of being fanatic is enjoying the extremes.

Honestly, as long as they can get a Cup winning team who cares who makes what?

If they don't win this might be the first generation of player that is remembered without much respect/adulation in Toronto if their biggest wins are to their bank accounts.

Remember the Moskoka 5, and that is because they wanted to go for it and stay together this would be because they were only interested in the money.

Last edited:

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014

Of course there will be some who don't want that to happen because part of being fanatic is enjoying the extremes.

If they don't win this might be the first generation of player that is remembered without much respect/adulation in Toronto if their biggest wins are to their bank accounts.
I hope he signs as well...I'm just saying his shine has worn off for me a bit because of all this. If you threaten to hold fans 'hostage' by holding out, you gotta expect what comes with that.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Marner will just say that those other RFA's are not applicable to the Leafs situation and use AM's $11.6M as the bar. See how this works? if another team signed their RFA to $12M...Marner is saying "Look at what he got as an RFA...I want that"...but if he signs for peanuts...they will argue that the "TEAM" salary structure is what they want to negotiate on.

It's always this way with agents. If a guy signs too high..they never disregard it..only the Pasternak deals are thrown out as unicorn contracts that don't apply.

Yes, they can claim they will only sign Matthews deal.

If Leafs cannot make that work, they just have to trade him.

At that point the Matthews contract becomes as relevant as McDavid's contract.

Sometimes you just have to move on.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

To me it's just kinda crazy that people freak out about this at all.

Let's give the pessimists the benefit of the doubt, and say that Matthews, Marner and Nylander are all over paid by a combined 4 million dollars. That's still not a bad situation, because they're all great players earning 90+% of their salary. A bad cap situation is one with bad players making 5-10 times what they are worth, if they're even worth anything at all, like Marleau, Lucic, Bobby Ryan, Eriksson, Boychuk and other crap contracts that actually burden your ability to build your team. The Leafs have literally NO actually bad contracts, save perhaps Ceci, but even then there's a bunch of context around that.

The notion that people pour hours of energy and dismay into discussing 5 vs 8 years for Matthews, but are seemingly unconcerned with having to give up a first round pick to get rid of Marleau's 6+ million dollars, is complete bananas.

Reactions: Metroid

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

He can say his only comparable is Gretzky if he wants, it doesn't mean the Leafs or anyone else agrees or that he'll get paid as such.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Leafs should trade Nylander asap. I've always maintained that while a fantastic acquisition of signing Tavares in free agency it hampered our ability to run long term with what was the traditional/original big 3 in Matthews, Marner, Nylander, I thoroughly believe that getting JT was the death warrant of one of those original big 3.

Nobody knows, maybe Marner will be that causality. It should be Nylander. We're going to need that money for Barrie and to maintain a quality D corps anyways.

Reactions: dsred

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
A shot that doesn't hit the net, is not considered a shot on goal, so this premise seems to be flawed.

No the premise that’s is flawed is your stating Nylander had bad luck last year. Like I said hitting the post 10 times is bad luck shooting into the goalies body for an easy save is piss poor shooting.

The excuses for nylander and Matthews has to stop this year.

Reactions: dsred

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
To me it's just kinda crazy that people freak out about this at all.

Let's give the pessimists the benefit of the doubt, and say that Matthews, Marner and Nylander are all over paid by a combined 4 million dollars. That's still not a bad situation, because they're all great players earning 90+% of their salary. A bad cap situation is one with bad players making 5-10 times what they are worth, if they're even worth anything at all, like Marleau, Lucic, Bobby Ryan, Eriksson, Boychuk and other crap contracts that actually burden your ability to build your team. The Leafs have literally NO actually bad contracts, save perhaps Ceci, but even then there's a bunch of context around that.

The notion that people pour hours of energy and dismay into discussing 5 vs 8 years for Matthews, but are seemingly unconcerned with having to give up a first round pick to get rid of Marleau's 6+ million dollars, is complete bananas.

Yes, Ceci is just a one year deal, the Flames and Oilers trade was a let's move the guys and let them start fresh somewhere else because they have long term deals that will only be worth the cost if they are on LTIR.

I think for me the breaking point on marner's deal is if they have to weaken the team to retain him.

marner is a valuable asset and what you need to is best utilize your assets in pursuit of the Cup. The name of the assets is unimportant.

Fire Dubas, fire Babcock, trade Andersson/Matthers/marner, fire the watercarrier ... whatever it takes.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think you have to look at %ofCap to get a truer picture of the salary.

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Matthews 6th. in % of cap. Others have already received their money from their % of the cap money. Matthews is % of future cap money.

Leafs have 3 in the top 20, and will have 4 shortly ... unless marner is moved.

Marner will come in ahead of Nylander and likely pretty close to Tavares at #12.

Only 3 other Teams that have 2 in the top 2o and they're Pens, Kings and Hawks and what do they all have in common?

Answer: Multiple Stanley Cups

What came first the Chicken or the Egg Stanley Cup?

Leafs are in a pay first and win second situation whereas others are paying for past success of proven and Conn Smythe winners and our Leafs having double 2 X the top CH% of those that did win.

Going to be interesting to see if this strategy pays off.

Last edited:

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Term is the issue, I think. Leafs wouldn't have a problem paying Marner 11 per. You just won't be able to sign mediocre UFAs like Marleau, or even worse, Clarkson anymore. Big deal. But you don't want to pay 11 per for 5 years.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Marner is negotiating a contact to play for the Maple Leafs during the offseason. Interpreting that as some sort of attack on you as fan is... I don't even know what. Self-absorbed, delusional... many bad things.

His camp wants to take the Leafs to the cleaners, that's what they want. That's all what the RFAs want, team be damned.

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
Yes, Ceci is just a one year deal, the Flames and Oilers trade was a let's move the guys and let them start fresh somewhere else because they have long term deals that will only be worth the cost if they are on LTIR.

I think for me the breaking point on marner's deal is if they have to weaken the team to retain him.

marner is a valuable asset and what you need to is best utilize your assets in pursuit of the Cup. The name of the assets is unimportant.

Fire Dubas, fire Babcock, trade Andersson/Matthers/marner, fire the watercarrier ... whatever it takes.

You don’t let a marner go you let the lesser players go.

If you need a couple of more millions to sign marner you trade a Johnsson and bring up a guy who is cheaper and can fill in just as good.

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
Marner will come in ahead of Nylander and likely pretty close to Tavares at #12.

Only 3 other Teams that have 2 in the top 2o and they're Pens, Kings and Hawks and what do they all have in common?

Answer: Multiple Stanley Cups

What came first the Chicken or the Egg Stanley Cup?

Leafs are in a pay first and win second situation whereas others are paying for past success of proven and Conn Smythe winners and our Leafs having double 2 X the top CH% of those that did win.

Going to be interesting to see if this strategy pays off.

It’s not a strategy it is the way of the new nhl. All the kids want two big paydays. One after their elc for 5 years then another to take them to retirement. Times have changed you can’t compare the past

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
You don’t let a marner go you let the lesser players go.

If you need a couple of more millions to sign marner you trade a Johnsson and bring up a guy who is cheaper and can fill in just as good.

Then you're making the team weaker because of what Marner wants. Team is weaker without Marner, I get that, but I just don't want to cater to his whims. Leafs have already cleared out plenty of salary to fit him in. Plenty.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Term is the issue, I think. Leafs wouldn't have a problem paying Marner 11 per. You just won't be able to sign mediocre UFAs like Marleau, or even worse, Clarkson anymore. Big deal. But you don't want to pay 11 per for 5 years.
I agree. Unfortunately, they put themselves in this position after the Matthews contract.

Remember when these players were just happy to play for the Leafs? Seems like a long time ago. Now they want everything.

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017

Why we already did that
We will have to see how that works out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad