Salary Cap: Marner Contract Discussion - 1 week to camp ... nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Nope. The stats are quite clear.

Curious, would you evaluate the left tackle on FG points scored per 60 or some other meaningless stat?

If Marner had an NHL shot the Leafs PP would have had more options and may have been less predictable.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
How about goal totals? They mean nothing to you? ES and PP assists is so ingrained into you.
I've already posted them.

ES G/GP at time of signing, all ELC years (adjusted to an average 15:00 ES TOI/GP):

Point - 0.25
Marner - 0.21
Rantanen - 0.19

ES G/GP at time of signing without EN goals, all ELC years (adjusted to an average 15:00 ES TOI/GP):

Point - 0.24
Marner - 0.20
Rantanen - 0.17

Point is a slightly better goal-scorer, but he also plays with Kucherov. Rantanen is a slightly worse goal-scorer, despite playing on the 2nd most stacked line in hockey.

Half his PP assists were slap-passing the puck into the crowd of sticks and skates in front of the goalie and the puck getting scored off the rebound/bounce.
No... they really weren't. Marner beats both in PP P1/60 over his ELC, meaning he scores primary points (goals and primary assists) at a higher rate.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Problem is nobody around the league else is willing to pay Mitch what he wants, so he is stuck waiting on Dubas to come through. :)
I doubt that very much

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I would take Marner over those two but can see why some others wouldn't.

I wonder what the feeling toward Dubas will be if Marner is paid more than those two?

Me too. Although Rantanen has that size factor that would be rather appealing.

Polk High

Sep 9, 2009
Mirtle on the leaf report today was saying that the Marner camp is dead set on getting the Matthews deal (same term+dollar amount) and that they believe as a tandem (Marner+Matthews) are the faces of the leafs franchise. It shocks me that even a 3 year term at a high dollar amount hasn’t gotten it done. He also alluded to the fact that the leafs have been very aggressive in trying to get a deal done, as he has reported before

Looks like the Marner camp is looking at the Towes Kane model.

The only "leverage" they have to recieve the Matthews contract is the fact that they are on the same team.

If traded to another team I have to think his ask goes down. I can't see any situation that any other team would pay anywhere near that $ amount on a 5 year term.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Rantanen and Point are looking at setting the market and no longer waiting on Marner. I cannot wait til the Marner camp gets screwed.

How does Rantanen sing for 8.5 per season on a 7 year deal as its being rumored in Colorado, but Marner is going to get paid upward of 2+ million more per season????

Makes no sense to me at all. Rantanen/Colorado/Agent know that what Marner is asking for is way too inflated. They know Rantanen's worth, especially playing on a line that he was.

Once Rantanen signs his contract Marner can kiss his leverage goodbye. He either signs for what the market is set for him. Or he sits.

Those of you that think Marner and Rantanen are that far apart in skill and production have lost their marbles.

Marner succeeded because of playing with Tavares and given ample minutes on special teams. Rantanen is the same playing with whom he does.

Both players apart from their linemates will be good players but come no where close to putting up the points they did last season.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I've already posted them.

ES G/GP at time of signing, all ELC years (adjusted to an average 15:00 ES TOI/GP):

Point - 0.25
Marner - 0.21
Rantanen - 0.19

ES G/GP at time of signing without EN goals, all ELC years (adjusted to an average 15:00 ES TOI/GP):

Point - 0.24
Marner - 0.20
Rantanen - 0.17

Point is a slightly better goal-scorer, but he also plays with Kucherov. Rantanen is a slightly worse goal-scorer, despite playing on the 2nd most stacked line in hockey.

No... they really weren't. Marner beats both in PP P1/60 over his ELC, meaning he scores primary points (goals and primary assists) at a higher rate.

When did I say that?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Who is willing to pay Marner Matthews money and willing to trade for him ?? All I hear are crickets.
Not privy to who would and it's probably never come up as he doesn't want to play anywhere else.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Funny how many thought JT would not sign in T.O because he refused to play second fiddle to Matthews. Starting to think it might be true for Marner. He has to know that the longer this goes, the worse it is for his brand. Yet here we are.

Reactions: kb

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Curious, would you evaluate the left tackle on FG points scored per 60 or some other meaningless stat?
I don't watch football, but there is nothing meaningless about P/60.

If Marner had an NHL shot the Leafs PP would have had more options and may have been less predictable.
Leafs had a good PP. They had a bad 2nd PP this year, which Marner wasn't on.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Not privy to who would and it's probably never come up as he doesn't want to play anywhere else.

I can only think Columbus and he is rumoured to have turned them down. If he wants to be the highest paid on his team, you can rule out many teams. If he really wants to be here why is 10x8 not enough ?? I can only think of two things. Ego and greed.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

IIRC both PPs were bad after Nylander returned. Kadri did not help by missing so many chances but their #1 PP was too predicable the second half of the season.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Rantanen and Point are looking at setting the market and no longer waiting on Marner. I cannot wait til the Marner camp gets screwed.

How does Rantanen sing for 8.5 per season on a 7 year deal as its being rumored in Colorado, but Marner is going to get paid upward of 2+ million more per season????

Makes no sense to me at all. Rantanen/Colorado/Agent know that what Marner is asking for is way too inflated. They know Rantanen's worth, especially playing on a line that he was.

Once Rantanen signs his contract Marner can kiss his leverage goodbye. He either signs for what the market is set for him. Or he sits.

Those of you that think Marner and Rantanen are that far apart in skill and production have lost their marbles.

Marner succeeded because of playing with Tavares and given ample minutes on special teams. Rantanen is the same playing with whom he does.

Both players apart from their linemates will be good players but come no where close to putting up the points they did last season.

He and his agent think he has no comparables

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Leafs PP was no way near as good as it could have been. As we all know it became predictable and easier to defend mostly due Apolo’s inability to shoot the puck.

BTW, when did I say the stuff about bounces etc that you quoted me as saying? You should edit that.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I can only think Columbus and he is rumoured to have turned them down. If he wants to be the highest paid on his team, you can rule out many teams. If he really wants to be here why is 10x8 not enough ?? I can only think of two things. Ego and greed.
I don't believe he wants 8 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad