Salary Cap: Marner Contract Discussion - 1 week to camp ... nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

horner

May 22, 2007
Exactly we got plenty of talent without Marner that we should not miss a playoff spot without him. This team aint a one player team.
you misread my point.
it's like saying we don't need
Mathews
Rielly
Tavares

we need everyone if we want to win the cup.

Reactions: ZEBROA

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
All these guys wanna get paid without even having accomplished anything

This is the day and age we live in. People are entitled

If you look at this objectively and not like a selfish fan, you may not want to include NHL players in the entitled group. They actually worked hard to get where they are and now they generate revenue.

Reactions: YYZed and hotpaws

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
In other words, you are proving Matthews is worth more than Marner, and is a centre too...so why is his camp asking for equivalent deals? It's ridiculous.
Marner, while clearly the best of the remaining RFAs, and one of the best of the last 20 years, is not as good as Matthews and does not deserve the same contract.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Or he could break his leg the first game. Would the season be lost? Hell no
No , but if Andersen did they’d be in a heap of trouble.

I think they’ll be better than last year, but they were under 500 since Dec 1

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
No , but if Andersen did they’d be in a heap of trouble.

I think they’ll be better than last year, but they were under 500 since Dec 1

Yeah they were crap after x-mas when things tightened up and didn't change anything it seemed. Yes there were some inuries but that happens to every team

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Or 3rd best behind Point and Rantanen
Or not..

ES P/GP at time of signing, all ELC years (adjusted to an average 15:00 ES TOI/GP):

Marner - 0.64
Point - 0.59
Rantanen - 0.53

ES P/GP at time of signing, 2nd and 3rd ELC years only (adjusted to an average 15:00 ES TOI/GP):

Marner - 0.68
Point - 0.64
Rantanen - 0.62

ES P/GP at time of signing, 3rd ELC year only (adjusted to an average 15:00 ES TOI/GP):

Marner - 0.80
Point - 0.70
Rantanen - 0.65

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If you look at this objectively and not like a selfish fan, you may not want to include NHL players in the entitled group. They actually worked hard to get where they are and now they generate revenue.

Definitely, these guys have worked hard, although some have worked harder and failed ... you work with what your born with but you can't change what you're born with. High achievers are everywhere, but some are just doctors, nurses, scientists, astronauts, artists, ... supply and demand and artificially inflated values.

marner should be signed around $9mm on a 6 year deal.

Matthews' contract is Matthews' contract marner's contract should be about Rantanen, Point and Aho.

Reactions: 18leafsfan18

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Last edited:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Debatable.

Point had 40+ goals and is a C
Ranta is 6’4 and had similar PPG

Not even debatable, a 41 goal 92 point C is > 26g 94 p Winger all day every day. Point has 2 30 goal seasons and an 18 and marner has 2 20 goal season and a 19.

Rantanen is a more debatable, very similar ppg but isn't the old saying "when all else is equal go with size"? Also has a 30 goal season and a 29.

Goals>points easily makes point ahead of marner, and becomes debatable with ranta. It can easily be argued marner is 3rd best of the RFA's, id put him 2nd but if someone had him 3rd it wouldn't be an insult

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
If the Marner team doesn’t take that reported 3 year offer and I the meantime Point or Ranta sign for a bridge 3-year in the neighbourhood of 7.5 ... that reported offer is off the table in my mind.

He can sit until he comes down from his high horse

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I’m sure I could research some stats to counter yours but I don’t really care or have the time.
I’d take either of those guys over Marner
Because raw total points, which is a horrible way to evaluate players, is so ingrained into you.

Marner is clearly the best of the 3. He produces at ES and on PP better than both of them.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Or not..

ES P/GP at time of signing, all ELC years (adjusted to an average 15:00 ES TOI/GP):

Marner - 0.64
Point - 0.59
Rantanen - 0.53

ES P/GP at time of signing, 2nd and 3rd ELC years only (adjusted to an average 15:00 ES TOI/GP):

Marner - 0.68
Point - 0.64
Rantanen - 0.62

ES P/GP at time of signing, 3rd ELC year only (adjusted to an average 15:00 ES TOI/GP):

Marner - 0.80
Point - 0.70
Rantanen - 0.65

And then you could say Marner doesn’t score enough because he doesn’t have an NHL shot. He’s nicked-named Apolo Marner or OhNo Mitch for a reason.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Because raw total points, which is a horrible way to evaluate players, is so ingrained into you.

Marner is clearly the best of the 3. He produces at ES and on PP better than both of them.
How about goal totals? They mean nothing to you? ES and PP assists is so ingrained into you.

Half his PP assists were slap-passing the puck into the crowd of sticks and skates in front of the goalie and the puck getting scored off the rebound/bounce. I’m supposed to be impressed by those points?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad