Salary Cap: Marner Contract Discussion - 1 week to camp ... nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
TDL is fine for me. To a non-playoff team for an unprotected first, their best prospect, a top 6 < 25 winger and a top 4 D.

We get a boost for the playoffs. A boost for the future and Marner goes to an endorsement wasteland with 10M in salary forfeited.

I'm sure teams are lining up for the privilege of dealing with Ferris and Paul. Maybe Edmonton wants him so they can hear about how he and McDavid are a tandem and deserve identical contracts (adjust for cap inflation of course, 13.5 for Marner).

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
I'm sure teams are lining up for the privilege of dealing with Ferris and Paul. Maybe Edmonton wants him so they can hear about how he and McDavid are a tandem and deserve identical contracts (adjust for cap inflation of course, 13.5 for Marner).

Oh I hear you. It could take months. I didn't pick TDL without realizing that.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Love Mitch, but this was pretty hilarious
7AAE1F44-1B50-4844-90FC-6FB196B52B7A.jpeg

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Mirtle on the leaf report today was saying that the Marner camp is dead set on getting the Matthews deal (same term+dollar amount) and that they believe as a tandem (Marner+Matthews) are the faces of the leafs franchise. It shocks me that even a 3 year term at a high dollar amount hasn’t gotten it done. He also alluded to the fact that the leafs have been very aggressive in trying to get a deal done, as he has reported before

He said it was 3 yrs at 8.7 was Toronto offer.

Siegel just says. Give him what he wants.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Are the leafs able to pay Marner 10.55 over the cap Because of the Clarkson and Horton LTIR (so like an AAV of 10.55)?? Im listening to the Steve dangle podcast and they keep mentioning that this is the case but i thought that this trade was a way to protect themselves to be able to sign Marner into the season? anyone have any answers?

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
they are going to drag this out exactly like Nylander but the difference here is that they're going to let Marner sit out all season

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
they are going to drag this out exactly like Nylander but the difference here is that they're going to let Marner sit out all season

100% won't happen with Marner, that would make the Muzzin, Barrie, Marleau deals useless, leafs could possibly miss the playoffs with this lineup minus Mitch... Dubas should then be fired as incompetent by not seeing possible incoming issues/situations

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
If Marner has turned down a 8.7 x 3 offer I would be really leaning to trading him.

We cant be giving Marner a similar cap% for 3 RFA years that Kutch got for 8 UFA years. It just isnt sustainable and will handicap the team when he wants a stupidly huge raise in 3 years.

Dubas has to wait for Point and Rantanen to get signed. I dont think either of those players will miss many games so it should be a pretty good bet. Then personally I would lock Mitch up minimum 5 years with the added comparables as I wouldn't want to be negotiating with Marner anytime soon.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
And for anybody who questions how insanely generational Matthews is at goal-scoring:

ES G/GP at time of signing, all ELC years (adjusted to an average 15:00 ES TOI/GP):

Matthews - 0.41
Laine - 0.30
Boeser - 0.29
Connor - 0.28
Point - 0.25
Aho - 0.25
Meier - 0.25
Tkachuk - 0.23
Marner - 0.21
Rantanen - 0.19

ES G/GP at time of signing without EN goals, all ELC years (adjusted to an average 15:00 ES TOI/GP):

Matthews - 0.40
Boeser - 0.28
Laine - 0.27
Meier - 0.26
Point - 0.24
Connor - 0.24
Aho - 0.21
Marner - 0.20
Tkachuk - 0.20
Rantanen - 0.17

The difference between Matthews and 2nd place on this list is greater than the difference between 2nd place and the worst of these 10 major RFAs. Let that sink in.

If we take Ovechkin and his rate prior to signing, apply these same measures (adjusted to 15:00 ES TOI/GP, no EN goals), and then adjust him to the NHL league ES scoring rate over Matthews' sample (boosting Ovechkin by ~16%):

Matthews - 0.40
Ovechkin - 0.40

We have a special talent. Appreciate him.

In other words, you are proving Matthews is worth more than Marner, and is a centre too...so why is his camp asking for equivalent deals? It's ridiculous.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
If Marner has turned down a 8.7 x 3 offer I would be really leaning to trading him.

We cant be giving Marner a similar cap% for 3 RFA years that Kutch got for 8 UFA years. It just isnt sustainable and will handicap the team when he wants a stupidly huge raise in 3 years.

Dubas has to wait for Point and Rantanen to get signed. I dont think either of those players will miss many games so it should be a pretty good bet. Then personally I would lock Mitch up minimum 5 years with the added comparables as I wouldn't want to be negotiating with Marner anytime soon.

This is my bet. Marners comparables haven’t signed yet. You want to go last. Then go last

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
All these guys wanna get paid without even having accomplished anything

This is the day and age we live in. People are entitled

Marner has scored what the 7 th most points on ELC in the past 20 years

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I am tired of these contract negotiations. It's a week till camp and he is not signed yet, no real hope he will sign anytime soon either. It's really tiring.

I'm sorry that you find this process tiring. Perhaps have a nap? Relax man, what will be, will be. He'll sign before October, and he'll be in the lineup. He wants to be a Leaf, they want him here. He's turned down offersheets, and is still negotiating. It will happen, and don't be so emotionally vested in this, and it wont' make you sleepy.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
100% won't happen with Marner, that would make the Muzzin, Barrie, Marleau deals useless, leafs could possibly miss the playoffs with this lineup minus Mitch... Dubas should then be fired as incompetent by not seeing possible incoming issues/situations
Leafs will not miss playoffs without Marner. He is not that good.

Reactions: supermann_98

horner

May 22, 2007
Leafs will not miss playoffs without Marner. He is not that good.
Iam not to sure what you were watching last yr .
Obviously we don't need a healthy Mathews to win a Stanley Cup or Anderson or Rielly .
Some statements leave me speechless.
Do people actually realize the talent that we have.
We have never had young talent like this before assembled on one team.
How a leaf fans forgets.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Thinking we will miss playoff without Marner on the team is way beyond my speaking stupid skills. We will get to the playoffs with or without him. He is not the team. We would probably last longer once in the playoff, but we would not miss the playoffspot.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Iam not to sure what you were watching last yr .
Obviously we don't need a healthy Mathews to win a Stanley Cup or Anderson or Rielly .
Some statements leave me speechless.
Do people actually realize the talent that we have.
We have never had young talent like this before assembled on one team.
How a leaf fans forgets.
Exactly we got plenty of talent without Marner that we should not miss a playoff spot without him. This team aint a one player team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad