Salary Cap: Marner Contract Discussion - 1 week to camp ... nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I’d rather have him signed and playing right from the start, don’t get me wrong, it’s just that the contract is less than ideal

Less than ideal, but once you ask the question "Was a 12.5 x 7 offersheet a credible threat?" and realize the answer is yes it becomes of matter of a couple hundred k.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Parking next door in a lot controlled by the team or an affiliated entity is HRR.

Sponsorships are HRR, though the rate at which they are included could vary depending on details like permanent vs temporary signage and arena tenancy.
Sponsorship's are 50% categorically NOT always HRR. I drop around 250K per year into MLSE arena sponsorship through 1 of my companies. I have asked MLSE numerous times if this was HRR and they have said numerous times it is not because it is arena based which has multiple uses including the Leafs. Sponsors are investing in the arena, not the Leafs. Game ice sponsors on the boards are a different matter. This is why this 1 particular issue is so complicated. You can sponsor a wall in 2nd deck that is not HRR. But board advertising is HRR.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
I cant believe the arguing here about hes worth this, no hes worth that. Nothing will change what he really signs. Maybe debate that when the deal is done?

For all of us we should only be worried about the AAV

Reactions: 18leafsfan18

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
I cant believe the arguing here about hes worth this, no hes worth that. Nothing will change what he really signs. Maybe debate that when the deal is done?

For all of us we should only be worried about the AAV

No offense but what else do you expect the conversation to be in "Marner Discussion Thread" ?

Agreed we should all just care about AAV.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Eichel is 3% under McDavid and Matthews is better then Eichel.

What percent would you expect ?
But why is Matthews better than Eichel, I guess you could argue potential, but on ice results have been much closer to Eichel than the Hart/Lindsay/Ross seasons that McDavid put up. .5-1% higher than Eichel would be my guess.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
But why is Matthews better than Eichel, I guess you could argue potential, but on ice results have been much closer to Eichel than the Hart/Lindsay/Ross seasons that McDavid put up. .5-1% higher than Eichel would be my guess.

Matthews destroyed Eichel in ELC goals, points, pace etc.

212 Games vs 209 Games

111 Goals vs 73 Goals
205 Points vs 177 Points

Matthews is pretty obviously better then Eichel.

The fact that you are splitting hairs between .5% 1 way or the other shows his contract is pretty damn close to on par with the comparables it looks like they used.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I would rather wait to see what Rantanen gets before signing Marner. I think Sakic will get him signed to a good deal and that will help us get Marner signed to a good deal.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Only if a few of the deep thinkers here have tickets to the Opener, it's doubtful they do.
I wouldn't put it pass the loud minority. I've sat through boos before which left me scratchinig my head.

I'd put money on it happening at this point.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
[QUOTE="hotpaws, post: 164091229, member: 94078"]I'd take Mathews over Marner by a thin margin but i'd take both over JT .

and if you don't believe AM and Willie aren't overpaid to certain degree's then i'll guarantee you'll believe Marner isn't overpaid regardless of what he signs for once the deal is announced

and we'll see if Dubas holds his ground once camp starts , me thinks he'll cave like he's wont to do but that'll be a discussion at a later date[/QUOTE]

If we are looking at 1 year only not a snowball's chance in h-e double hockey sticks do you take MM over JT, MM is a FANTASTIC hockey player...but JT literally brings his wingers to new levels...every single line JT has centered (aside from his 1 year w/Leafs) was a bonafide gong-show of plugs in Long Island...I'm sorry but if you can make Matt Moulson a 50pt player I will take you every day of the week and twice on sundays...Marner is a great set up man...but by definition a set up man rides shotgun because w/o that finisher all the flash and dash of the set up man is wasted on sub par (for where you play) talent whiffing opportunities (see: Kapanen, Kasperi or Brown, Connor)

JT is the set up man and the finisher, if we are talking one year only I take JT every time

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Laine, Marner, Rantanen, Werenski, McAvoy, Point

It's been beaten to death - none of these guys have contracts either. Seems this is going to be the route that RFA's take. Stand firm - we still should not be worried

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Lets admit the JT signing was the biggest mistake for this organization, not that he is a bad player, but a a good fit at the right time. Thats why we are here in this situation.

What situation? The Leafs have like 10+ million to pay Marner with.

Even if things were tighter and we had to dump Johnsson or Kapanen or someone to make it all fit, we still have Tavares which is way better.

Reactions: 18leafsfan18

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
What situation? The Leafs have like 10+ million to pay Marner with.

Even if things were tighter and we had to dump Johnsson or Kapanen or someone to make it all fit, we still have Tavares which is way better.

If we see a trade of any roster players that would signify that the next news would be Marner signed. I haven't done the math but Horton and Clarkson will be on LTIR.

I just looked at cap friendly and says we have 0 space, and that have 2.8m on LTIR. So not sure what happens now

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
If we see a trade of any roster players that would signify that the next news would be Marner signed. I haven't done the math but Horton and Clarkson will be on LTIR.

I just looked at cap friendly and says we have 0 space, and that have 2.8m on LTIR. So not sure what happens now

With Horton and Clarkson on LTIR we have a little over 10 million available for Marner. We have the space to sign Marner, he and his agent are just using the whole summer to negotiate the highest salary possible. There's no problem here at all, never mind a problem so big that it makes signing Tavares a mistake.

Reactions: dsred
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad