Salary Cap: Marner Contract Discussion - 1 week to camp ... nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
What situation? The Leafs have like 10+ million to pay Marner with.

Even if things were tighter and we had to dump Johnsson or Kapanen or someone to make it all fit, we still have Tavares which is way better.

If we see a trade of any roster players that would signify that the next news would be Marner signed. I haven't done the math but Horton and Clarkson will

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
With Horton and Clarkson on LTIR we have a little over 10 million available for Marner. We have the space to sign Marner, he and his agent are just using the whole summer to negotiate the highest salary possible. There's no problem here at all, never mind a problem so big that it makes signing Tavares a mistake.

Signing a top 5 or 6 center to 11 mill when he turned down a couple mill more to play here is far from a mistake. If any mistake was made it was Nylander dragging on because the rumor was or is Marner asked for 8.7 or 8.5 or 7yrs. But without having Nylanders number set and I guess AM as well Dubas didn't pull the trigger.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
3 year 9.5 will suck. From now on all our contracts will suck and our internal cap is set way too high. I love Mitch as a player for sure but 9.5 is his cap over 7/8 years not 3. Dubas and co really screwed up every contract signing for the big 3 somehow. Either term, time it took to sign or cap hit. In this case a healthy mix of all 3

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
His contract should have been around 10.5-11 million on 8 year term, as McDavid>>Matthews>Eichel so he falls in the middle.

On 5 years it should have easily been under 10, as that shorter term is highly preferable for the player.

Except there is absolutely no precedent for a player with his ELC career taking that kind of money. Like ever.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
13 million by 8 is a brutal overpay. What had Matthews done, at all, to be the highest paid player in the league?

It should have been around 11 with term, not 13, and logic would say when looking at 11 for 8 years, 5 years would come in under 10 million

His contract was up so he had to sign a new one. The Leafs, the NHLPA and the NHL make millions off his services. He’s fairly compensated.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
There still seems to be a lot of people who don't understand how good Matthews and Marner are.

I'll even split it up for people who think rookie years shouldn't be included:

ES P/GP at time of signing, all ELC years (adjusted to an average 15:00 ES TOI/GP):

Matthews - 0.70
Marner - 0.64
Point - 0.59
Tkachuk - 0.59
Connor - 0.56
Aho - 0.54
Boeser - 0.54
Rantanen - 0.53
Meier - 0.53
Laine - 0.52

ES P/GP at time of signing, 2nd and 3rd ELC years only (adjusted to an average 15:00 ES TOI/GP):

Matthews- 0.79
Marner - 0.68
Point - 0.64
Rantanen - 0.62
Aho - 0.61
Tkachuk - 0.60
Connor - 0.59
Meier - 0.59
Boeser - 0.56
Laine - 0.44

ES P/GP at time of signing, 3rd ELC year only (adjusted to an average 15:00 ES TOI/GP):

Matthews - 0.85
Marner - 0.80
Meier - 0.73
Point - 0.70
Tkachuk - 0.69
Rantanen - 0.65
Aho - 0.62
Boeser - 0.57
Connor - 0.56
Laine - 0.36

And yes, before anybody asks, Matthews and Marner were #1 and #2 respectively in all of these lists before adjusting for TOI. The adjustment pushes their numbers down in all cases except Marner in the first list (he gets a 1.5% bump on his numbers when all years are included). The adjustment most helps Laine, Tkachuk, and Meier.

Also a reminder, Matthews and Marner have been the 2 best per-minute PP producers of these players over their ELCs. The difference is that they get the least PP TOI/GP of any of these forwards except Meier.

People need to stop letting a team stat like PP opportunities skew their perception of these players.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
3 year 9.5 will suck. From now on all our contracts will suck and our internal cap is set way too high. I love Mitch as a player for sure but 9.5 is his cap over 7/8 years not 3. Dubas and co really screwed up every contract signing for the big 3 somehow. Either term, time it took to sign or cap hit. In this case a healthy mix of all 3

I have to admit that this is the part I too am pretty concerned with. By setting the internal cap structure so high, every negotiation you’re gonna have one skilled guy point to another and say, well he got payed X and therefore I ATLEAST deserve Y.

Reactions: Leafs87

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I have to admit that this is the part I too am pretty concerned with. By setting the internal cap structure so high, every negotiation you’re gonna have one skilled guy point to another and say, well he got payed X and therefore I ATLEAST deserve Y.

It’s already started happening and honestly I don’t know who it will stop with (if it does)

Last edited:
Reactions: glue

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It’s already started happening and honestly I don’t know who it will stop it (if it does)

It's an ugly knock on effect, if it's 9.5M×3 imagine his next contract?
It's going to be spectacular if you like setting new contractual precedent

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Just give him $9.5M x 4 and let's move on.

We get him for 9.5M. He gets to UFA ASAP.

I don't understand turning down guaranteed $$$ over 6,7,8 years. He could be getting 80-90 mil over 8 years guaranteed. I get that there is "potential" to earn even more, but it's only potential while 80-90 mil is guaranteed. I try to convince him to take the guaranteed money over the long term.

Reactions: OddyOh and bax

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Mirtle on the leaf report today was saying that the Marner camp is dead set on getting the Matthews deal (same term+dollar amount) and that they believe as a tandem (Marner+Matthews) are the faces of the leafs franchise. It shocks me that even a 3 year term at a high dollar amount hasn’t gotten it done. He also alluded to the fact that the leafs have been very aggressive in trying to get a deal done, as he has reported before

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Mirtle on the leaf report today was saying that the Marner camp is dead set on getting the Matthews deal (same term+dollar amount) and that they believe as a tandem (Marner+Matthews) are the faces of the leafs franchise. It shocks me that even a 3 year term at a high dollar amount hasn’t gotten it done. He also alluded to the fact that the leafs have been very aggressive in trying to get a deal done, as he has reported before

Sorry, but 11.6 per for both of them for 5 years does not work for us. That's brutal. Absolutely brutal.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto

Yay! Such wonderful news :(

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I don't understand turning down guaranteed $$$ over 6,7,8 years. He could be getting 80-90 mil over 8 years guaranteed. I get that there is "potential" to earn even more, but it's only potential while 80-90 mil is guaranteed. I try to convince him to take the guaranteed money over the long term.
I'm just tired of it.

Reactions: Ryan Michaels

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
And for anybody who questions how insanely generational Matthews is at goal-scoring:

ES G/GP at time of signing, all ELC years (adjusted to an average 15:00 ES TOI/GP):

Matthews - 0.41
Laine - 0.30
Boeser - 0.29
Connor - 0.28
Point - 0.25
Aho - 0.25
Meier - 0.25
Tkachuk - 0.23
Marner - 0.21
Rantanen - 0.19

ES G/GP at time of signing without EN goals, all ELC years (adjusted to an average 15:00 ES TOI/GP):

Matthews - 0.40
Boeser - 0.28
Laine - 0.27
Meier - 0.26
Point - 0.24
Connor - 0.24
Aho - 0.21
Marner - 0.20
Tkachuk - 0.20
Rantanen - 0.17

The difference between Matthews and 2nd place on this list is greater than the difference between 2nd place and the worst of these 10 major RFAs. Let that sink in.

If we take Ovechkin and his rate prior to signing, apply these same measures (adjusted to 15:00 ES TOI/GP, no EN goals), and then adjust him to the NHL league ES scoring rate over Matthews' sample (boosting Ovechkin by ~16%):

Matthews - 0.40
Ovechkin - 0.40

We have a special talent. Appreciate him.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
it's about time to trade him. it sounds like Marner's camp has not budged at all

Reactions: Lenovs and kb

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
Personally, I'd sign him for what he wants but then you have to trade Nylander.
I think Marner comes off looking like a SOB, but you either make him happy or he'll go walking ASAP anyhow.
Can we realistically looking at keeping Nylander around anyways with Barrie and Reilly contracts?
Tough call. Too bad Mitch thinks he's Wayne Gretzky.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Just so you all are edumacated, I learned today on the Trade Board, that Laine is a better PP passer than Marner. Folks, you can't make this stuff up.

Reactions: Metroid and glue

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
it's about time to trade him. it sounds like Marner's camp has not budged at all

TDL is fine for me. To a non-playoff team for an unprotected first, their best prospect, a top 6 < 25 winger and a top 4 D.

We get a boost for the playoffs. A boost for the future and Marner goes to an endorsement wasteland with 10M in salary forfeited.

rosscow

Apr 5, 2015

Than they should just trade him. Problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad