Tribute Marner Appreciation Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I got nothing against nylander hes great and amazing to watch when on

But hes like the 4th best leaf player in the playoffs these past 6 years

16, 34, 44 in any order come ahead then hes 4th

Nylander, kadri, and Andersen's choking tendencies are the reason we don't have a 2019 series win vs Boston
Sorry but I don't agree that Marner was better in the playoffs before this year. Mitch had one really good series against Boston in 2018, and played well against Tampa in 2022, but has been pretty underwhelming otherwise. His series against Columbus and Montreal were embarrassing, where he scored 0 goals and was a total non-factor especially at 5v5. He also received top minutes and top PP time throughout all of this.

Nylander has historically outperformed him at 5v5, and he also hasn't been afforded the same opportunities. You bring up the 2019 series, but forget that Nylander was forced to play 3C to fill in for Kadri, and was essentially forced into a checking line type of role where his strengths were minimized. Even against Columbus Keefe kept loading up JT-Matthews-Marner while Nylander had to carry the other line by himself a lot. Against Montreal JT got hurt and Nylander dominated while carrying Kerfoot and Galchenyuk.

Also, Marner's stats in the latter half of series especially in series elimination games is quite poor. I think @Gary Nylund pulled up all the box scores from those elimination games and Nylander was on the scoresheet quite a bit while Marner was nowhere to be found. In big moments especially it has generally been Nylander who elevates over Marner.

Last edited:

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Absolutely, it was a terrible decision by Marner followed by a bad decision by Matthews. However, it isn't just them doing that.. failing to clear their zone when they gain possession or turning it over just inside the other team's blueline for odd man rushes is a normal play for this team.

The question is: why do they as a group refuse to stop doing it????
They are called controlled zone exits. Marner got the puck tape to tape to Matthews. He lost the puck. It wasn't a terrible decision. It's how hockey is played when you don't want to ice the puck or turn it over in the neutral zone with a tiny dump

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
They are called controlled zone exits. Marner got the puck tape to tape to Matthews. He lost the puck. It wasn't a terrible decision. It's how hockey is played when you don't want to ice the puck or turn it over in the neutral zone with a tiny dump

Hard disagree. Didn't look like a controlled zone exit to me, buddy.

Even if you do chip it out it is better to turn it over outside your zone when your team has a chance to reset then turn it over at the line before clearing.. everyone who has played hockey knows this..

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

Even if you do chip it out it is better to turn it over outside your zone when your team has a chance to reset then turn it over at the line before clearing.. everyone who has played hockey knows this..
I can't believe people are actually defending that play. It doesn't work in the playoffs with the lack of time and space and there was an easier less risky way to leave the zone right there. Hockey 101

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

Zoinks. You are saying never pass the puck in your dzone?
Not the way I played hockey

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Both him and Nylander need to be better, point blank. You can't be 30 and 40 goal scorers combining for only 2 goals in 8 games. I don't give a f*** about this stupid debate of who's better, they both need to GET IT f***ING DONE. That's it.
This. Please no more xgf% bullshite. Put some actual picks in an actual net and get this series tied up. Thought Marner looked good last night just need him and his linemates to make due on opportunities.

This summer will be truly unbearable if we lose the series but Matthews and Marner have a 80% xgf%. Series not over just execute.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Looks like they are doing what they are coached to do. Never been a fan of it but they've been doing these plays all year in their end.

Reactions: BraveCanadian

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Looks like they are doing what they are coached to do. Never been a fan of it but they've been doing these plays all year in their end.
Nah, they use the C as an outlet under pressure, but not on that situation when the winger has time and space with a defender backing off. And even if it were true, the coach present options and Mitch chose the wrong one.

Its a bad decision on his part lacking situational awareness. He passes out of time and space to a man under pressure with limited options. Matthews should have just fired it out though when he was handed a grenade

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Agreed, tiny dumps are a waste of time. Lol

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
TNT post game panel broke this play down and put the giveaway entirely on Marner. Matthews name wasn't even mentioned. TNT is a panel of former NHL players.... They know a whole lot more than you do. Just showing how incredibly biased you are when the obvious plays, you tried to pin on a different player.

That's around the 5th gwg in three postseasons that came off a play by Marner. The percentage of goals that have come off Marners play is incredibly high. Especially taking into consideration how invisible he's been on the offensive side of the puck.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Yeah fairly common play for this team, they do it many times a game.
Matthews has to be better there.
LOL at saying they make brain dead drop passes like that many times a game. If that were true, they'd all be in the AHL.

LOL blaming Matthews as if it was all his fault. How many Pauls are there ITT FFS????
:facepalm:

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
You’re fixated on Marner’s money too much… it’s out of your control, let it go.

Not every player is going to outperform their contract like the old Mack and Pasta contracts.

Why not appreciate Mitch for what he is as a hockey player… one of the best in the World.

... It's not out of the Leafs control. They can trade him in the offseason. It's not just his contract, it's his postseason production. The majority of his career he's been inadequate in the playoffs. If he was just slightly overpaid but was clutch, even just sometimes, then id be open to keeping him. But he's been opposite of clutch, he had the gwg giveaway last nights, the gwg giveaway game 6 vs Tampa, game winning giveaway game 6 and 7 vs Montreal... And zero big plays in these games. We are getting big plays by Nylander, Matthews, Tavares, Oreilly, Reilly... But Marner is consistently just not effective after how many years?

The plays that make Marner "magic" are also the plays that great opposition chances. They are high risk passes and that's it. He has zero speed, a weak shot and just continually throws risky passes, which become less effective in playoffs because teams are highly focused.

Reactions: thewave

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
... It's not out of the Leafs control. They can trade him in the offseason. It's not just his contract, it's his postseason production. The majority of his career he's been inadequate in the playoffs. If he was just slightly overpaid but was clutch, even just sometimes, then id be open to keeping him. But he's been opposite of clutch, he had the gwg giveaway last nights, the gwg giveaway game 6 vs Tampa, game winning giveaway game 6 and 7 vs Montreal... And zero big plays in these games. We are getting big plays by Nylander, Matthews, Tavares, Oreilly, Reilly... But Marner is consistently just not effective after how many years?

The plays that make Marner "magic" are also the plays that great opposition chances. They are high risk passes and that's it. He has zero speed, a weak shot and just continually throws risky passes, which become less effective in playoffs because teams are highly focused.
Again, don’t you find yourself exhausted from all this?… I get it, you know how to fix the Leafs, if you had a cheap Tavares and a better Marner (but also cheaper)… you’d get it done.

In real simple terms, so you understand… if every team in the NHL, and I’m 100% serious when I say every single team in the NHL would want Mitch Marner on their roster… not one GM would consider trading him away.

Reactions: notdoneyet

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Again, don’t you find yourself exhausted from all this?… I get it, you know how to fix the Leafs, if you had a cheap Tavares and a better Marner (but also cheaper)… you’d get it done.

In real simple terms, so you understand… if every team in the NHL, and I’m 100% serious when I say every single team in the NHL would want Mitch Marner on their roster… not one GM would consider trading him away.
I've never said anything negative about Tavares. Exhausted from caring? for being a passionate leaf fan, wanting a winning team? For being a fan of the team and not a player?

Everybody wants Mitch? Really? How many offer sheet's did he get, just one officially and it was likely for less than the leafs gave him. Yup... Sounds like quite the lineup to pay him what he got.

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
I've never said anything negative about Tavares. Exhausted from caring? for being a passionate leaf fan, wanting a winning team? For being a fan of the team and not a player?

Everybody wants Mitch? Really? How many offer sheet's did he get, just one officially and it was likely for less than the leafs gave him. Yup... Sounds like quite the lineup to pay him what he got.
Who?… Mitch didn’t get any offer sheets.

Every NHL GM knows Mitch from his London days, and know he’s never leaving Toronto.

Mitch is only ever leaving Toronto if it’s his choice… and that’s likely never happening.

Reactions: notdoneyet

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Who?… Mitch didn’t get any offer sheets.

Every NHL GM knows Mitch from his London days, and know he’s never leaving Toronto.

Mitch is only ever leaving Toronto if it’s his choice… and that’s likely never happening.

damn that only makes the dubas contract even worse. he's an RFA and there's no way he's leaving Toronto you'd hope that gives you some leverage in negotiations.

Reactions: Antropovsky

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Zoinks. You are saying never pass the puck in your dzone?
Not the way I played hockey

Like everything it comes down to execution and Marner's decisions on that goal against ended up being all wrong because of what happened.

He received the puck and started skating out with it, there were a few things he could have attempted there that didn't involve the flip to Matthews:

-If he chooses to exit with speed maybe he backs up the D, and that allows for him to exit the zone, putting the Florida forwards offside while support comes from behind. Just cross the line and live to fight another day.

-If he chooses the stutter step skill move, maybe he takes it to the boards and absorbs the Bennett back pressure, allowing for support to come.

-If he banks the puck out along the boards, that relieves the immediate pressure> Florida probably regains possession. They regroup and up it to the forwards tagging up quick and you might still be having issues on D but it isn't an immediate turnover.

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
Like everything it comes down to execution and Marner's decisions on that goal against ended up being all wrong because of what happened.

He received the puck and started skating out with it, there were a few things he could have attempted there that didn't involve the flip to Matthews:

-If he chooses to exit with speed maybe he backs up the D, and that allows for him to exit the zone, putting the Florida forwards offside while support comes from behind. Just cross the line and live to fight another day.

-If he chooses the stutter step skill move, maybe he takes it to the boards and absorbs the Bennett back pressure, allowing for support to come.

-If he banks the puck out along the boards, that relieves the immediate pressure> Florida probably regains possession. They regroup and up it to the forwards tagging up quick and you might still be having issues on D but it isn't an immediate turnover.
He should of held it for another 10 or 20' . Enough time for Matty to lose the backcheck and get his stride going . Then it was the right play .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad