Tribute Marner Appreciation Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I wouldnt have an issue with him saying “ I’ve been terrible this series, it’s unacceptable especially with the amount of money I make. I need to be much better moving forward. “
I don’t even need that much.
You don’t have to be a genius to just say we’ve played nervous and tight.
End quote.
He shouldn’t talk up the press.

Reactions: ToneDog

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
This is kinda my point though, he said in 10-15 years Keefe would be considered at a similar level to 2 available coaches. Theyre both good coaches and im fine if we get them or a similar level coach in the future. Between them, theyve combined for 1 cup. This isnt Scotty Bowman.

We're a year after the fact (little less) and you thought Dubas called Keefe a future legend.
You seem to be hung up on me using the word legend, not sure why. Like you said, it was almost a year ago, I remembered the essence of what he said but not the exact quote. I think we've covered this already, what else do you want me to say?

Trotz isn't quite a "legend", but I think it's fair to say that at the time, he was considered to be one of the best coaches in the game. Keefe on the other hand, had accomplished absolutely nothing to that point besides coaching a team that once again, failed to play to it's potential and couldn't win even one playoff series. Projecting him to be comparable to Trotz 10 years down the road at that moment in time was pointless hyperbole and while it's understandable when someone like Marner puts his foot in his mouth, Dubas should know better.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
Hes the most overrated winger in the league bar none. Hard carried by Tavares into his contract, and then hard carried by Matthews once Tavares lost a step. Id love to see what he would do on a team like Columbus. Probably fold just like Gaudreau.

Considering hes getting paid in the 98% percentile, you'd expect more. And this is a similar sort of story every year.

His biggest problem is hes not looking to shoot, hes looking for 4 passes before he considers shooting.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
This is what we saw in the Montreal series. Montreal covered 5-on-4 all other Leafs when Marner had the puck which forced Marner to shoot. Carey Price ate up his shots like beachballs. It's a pretty bad sign when the other team wants a player to have the puck because he's the least dangerous player on the ice.
To be fair, Marner's shot has improved a lot over the last couple of years. Remember when he drew a penalty and then scored against TB before the game was one minute old? Now that was a clutch goal! Whatever happened to that kid anyway, it feels like that happened several years ago?

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I don’t even need that much.
You don’t have to be a genius to just say we’ve played nervous and tight.
End quote.
He shouldn’t talk up the press.
Remember his letter to fans after his 11 mill contract? When he said "Toronto you expect a lot of us, and I wouldn't have it any other way". He's such a phony robot... He hates criticism and it destroys him. He has complained endlessly ever since his contract about it. I'm tired of him being such a baby. Hes a entitled brat and doesn't deserve to be here. Send him to Phoenix so he can lose his 2 million endorsements, lose the incredible amenities Toronto has, lose the incredible fan base and play in a university arena.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
To be fair, Marner's shot has improved a lot over the last couple of years. Remember when he drew a penalty and then scored against TB before the game was one minute old? Now that was a clutch goal! Whatever happened to that kid anyway, it feels like that happened several years ago?
It's insane to think he only has 4 goals in his last 34 playoff games.

You gotta go to the dirty areas to score in the playoffs.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Remember his letter to fans after his 11 mill contract? When he said "Toronto you expect a lot of us, and I wouldn't have it any other way". He's such a phony robot... He hates criticism and it destroys him. He has complained endlessly ever since his contract about it. I'm tired of him being such a baby. Hes a entitled brat and doesn't deserve to be here. Send him to Phoenix so he can lose his 2 million endorsements, lose the incredible amenities Toronto has, lose the incredible fan base and play in a university arena.
Thinking anything has "destroyed him" is a bit much. I'm as disappointed in him as anyone else right now but he's been a 1st team all-star twice, I believe he led the NHL in the first round of the playoffs in both points and +- and sure, he didn't play as well as those numbers would suggest and he hasn't played well against Florida but it's not nothing either.

Saying he's a "phony robot" is wrong and also a little bit mean. He doesn't know how to address the media so he keeps saying things that make people hate on him and he's obviously not doing that on purpose. He's not a particularly bright kid because he's spent almost his entire life in the hockey rink and playing hockey is all he knows so expecting him to be eloquent with a microphone stuck in his face makes no sense. He grew up here, dreamed of playing for the Leafs, I don't think anyone wants to win more than he does and there's nothing phony about that. I also don't think losing is harder on anyone than it is on him as I'm sure he hears about it non-stop in the off-season from all his friends and that can't be easy on him. Maybe it's true that he can't handle the pressure, that may well be the case and if it's true, then that obviously sucks for Leaf fans like myself but it also sucks for him. I can't feel too sorry for him as he's filthy rich and never has to work a day in his life and there are worse things in life than failing on the big stage but while I'm fine with criticizing the shit out of him as a hockey player, I'm not going to call him names whether it's a phony robot, a suck or whatever else. But that's me, you're obviously free to shit all over him as a person, just know that it's not a particularly good look.

Last edited:

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I thought about something around Marner for Wilson + WSH 1st + salary balancing pieces when he was struggling at the start of the year. Halfway through the year that felt like the stupidest deal I could have thought of. Now it looks like a homer proposal.

Would be nice to have Marner consistently at 80% peak where that’s just a average to bad deal rather than it being fair value, massive underpayment, and massive overpayment at various points in the same season.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I thought about something around Marner for Wilson + WSH 1st + salary balancing pieces when he was struggling at the start of the year. Halfway through the year that felt like the stupidest deal I could have thought of. Now it looks like a homer proposal.

Would be nice to have Marner consistently at 80% peak where that’s just a average to bad deal rather than it being fair value, massive underpayment, and massive overpayment at various points in the same season.

As long as Parros is the head of DoPS, Wilson will be suspended into oblivion if he played for the Leafs.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
As long as Parros is the head of DoPS, Wilson will be suspended into oblivion if he played for the Leafs.

That’s fine, we’re going to get suspended for nothing anyway might as well have it be entertaining when it happens instead of boring minor altercations.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
That’s fine, we’re going to get suspended for nothing anyway might as well have it be entertaining when it happens instead of boring minor altercations.

While I would love to have a Tom Wilson on the Leafs, I wouldn't be okay with 10 to 20 game suspensions annually.

• Haha
Reactions: WildWolfdog

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
TBF, no matter what Marner said to the media right now, people would pick it it apart and find reason to hate it/him for what he said, and that includes saying nothing. Don't get me wrong -- he doesn't really handle the media great, even during the best of times. But still...

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
TBF, no matter what Marner said to the media right now, people would pick it it apart and find reason to hate it/him for what he said, and that includes saying nothing. Don't get me wrong -- he doesn't really handle the media great, even during the best of times. But still...
I actually disagree. Because every season when the leafs are up against the wall, matthews and marner say the same thing year in and year out “we are blocking the outside noise”. That statement comes off as disengenuine, entitled and not taking accountability. If I was in marner’s shoes, I’d say “people have a right to be pissed were down 3-0, cause we are to, we are trying our best and i Can’t predict the future but I can assure you our effort is 100% and hope our fans see that”. That would come off a hell of a lot better then the annual “we are blocking out noise” garbage spewed every year

Last edited:

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

Just watched the interview... This is cringe stuff. And people wonder why this team can't win $%%&. This guy has an A?. Hes more upset with the criticism than he is his teams 0-3 record. Also him leading with "I mean I think I heard Auston say it..i think we've been saying it the whole time... We don't care what you guys think" ... Him leading with "I think I heard Auston and I think we've been saying the whole time" is cowardly and unprofessional. Also he misquoted Matthews... Matthew's said with a smile "we can't really focus on the outside noise, what your saying, what everyone is saying... It doesn't really matter, all we can focus on is how we approach this game". There is a distinct difference between what Matthews saying "we can't focus on it.." and what Marner saying "we don't care what you guys say". He needs to speak for himself, everything about that statement was the opposite of leadership.

Last edited:

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area

If you also plan on trading Matthews, the word on the street is that Washington is looking to move Kuznetsov. Top 6 center, makes$ 7.8m on the cap, free agent in 2 years. Wilson makes $5.1667m on the cap, free agent next summer.

Trade Marner for Kuznetsov + Wilson with some salary retention (25%?) and try to get a prospect/pick as well

Kuznetsov + Wilson (25% retained)
= combined $11.675m cap hit

Marner
= $10.903m cap hit

You have Matthews Tavares Kuznetsov down the middle, but Matthews is being traded with a winger and/or defenseman coming back, along with picks and/or prospects.

(Matthews trade) - Tavares - Wilson
Knies - Kuznetsov - Nylander
Robertson - Holmberg - Jarnkrok
(Aston-Reese ?) - (Kampf ?) - Lafferty
13 - Bobby McCann
14 - Kyle Clifford

This isn't the direction I would personally choose to go with trading Marner, but that lineup doesn't look too bad...

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
Maybe true..... But he wears a letter, he needs to set an example and draw as little attention to him and his teammates as possible. Hes not doing his team any favors by being angry with media. They need less distractions, not more. Complaining about the media is childish.

I don't disagree with that at all. He's definitely not the guy you want (or at least the guy I'd want), to be the one speaking for the team. I'm not saying that as a slight; he's just not built to be in front of cameras. Phil Kessell, although more just for awkwardness, was another guy not built to be in front of cameras.

Reactions: ShaneFalco

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
I wish he was willing or even capable of going in the dirty areas. He’s a great perimeter player but it’s easy to pressure him and shut him down. It’s the same story every year. He seems emotionally fragile as well and I really hope he leaves.

Reactions: Niagara Bill

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
He can start by not playing like a p***y tonight.

For all the crap Nylander gets he's still not as bad as Marner on his real off nights like last game.

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
Hes the most overrated winger in the league bar none. Hard carried by Tavares into his contract, and then hard carried by Matthews once Tavares lost a step. Id love to see what he would do on a team like Columbus. Probably fold just like Gaudreau.

Considering hes getting paid in the 98% percentile, you'd expect more. And this is a similar sort of story every year.

His biggest problem is hes not looking to shoot, hes looking for 4 passes before he considers shooting.
This is so stupid. This year should've put to rest any idea about Marner not being able to put up points on his own merit.

If you actually watched his year with JT it was obvious that Marner played a huge role in JTs 47 goals and created a lot of high danger scoring chances for JT.

Also, in the year before his breakout season Marner had over a ppg in his last 50 games playing with guys like Kadri bozak and JVR after he got out of Babcocks doghouse.

I'm a big believer in moving on from this core but the idea that Marner can't create on his own is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad