Tribute Marner Appreciation Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

satoshi6ix

Apr 18, 2023
It's been over 50 years. Some of you seem to think that we're some storied franchise with a majestic history like the MLB Yankees. I don't know much about the NFL but we're the Cleveland Browns or the Detroit Lions so try to think of it that way and you won't be nearly as frustrated.
yea confirmed not a leaf fan. probably dont even live in Toronto.

Cool story bro.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
This there is no time and space in the playoffs is weird. Bc I am pretty sure during the regular season, MM still got points against great teams and I am pretty sure those great teams want to win in regular season too. I would also think that those teams in the regular season would have plans to stop MM and AM bc stopping them would mean higher chance of beating the Leafs.
Same with every other teams in the playoffs.
I really believe it is up to the players to fight through and just dominate and play their game with adjustments along the way.

Says the guy with 17 posts.
And half of them are with you in this thread, lol

satoshi6ix

Apr 18, 2023
This there is no time and space in the playoffs is weird. Bc I am pretty sure during the regular season, MM still got points against great teams and I am pretty sure those great teams want to win in regular season too. I would also think that those teams in the regular season would have plans to stop MM and AM bc stopping them would mean higher chance of beating the Leafs.
Same with every other teams in the playoffs.
I really believe it is up to the players to fight through and just dominate and play their game with adjustments along the way.

And half of them are with you in this thread, lol

Lol. This guy thinks regular season and playoff same thing. the delusion is real. anyone who defends marner ive realized is just a delusional idiot.

The MAN is 26 years old now and still cant get a puck off his stick without it fluttering like a butterfly. I've seen better shots in my beer league. and hes 170 pounds soaking wet, easy to dominate. what a pathetic excuse for a core player. And the fan base loves him, thats the most baffling part. This is why we'll never be the avs, the pens, the lightning, or the bruins. weak, pathetic soft 10 million $ player eating up our cap space.

Take a look at your 2023 cup champs the oilers, draistail is what a real winger looks like. And hes making 8m btw

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Why does Marner struggle so heavily to score goals in the playoffs?

His play making is still elite at about 60 assist pace but the goals drop off a cliff

He's had 40 goal (pace think had 35 in 2022) and then 30 goals (2023) in the reg season

His shot is good enough to score through screens and one good passes.

For some reason he dipsey doodles to much in the playoffs and doesnt utilize his shot from in tight/closer to the net or he tries to find the empty man to often missing the clear shooting play

I don't know if its still nerves, lack of shooting IQ, poor coaching/line mate strategies but he has to be more confident that he can beat a goal clean in the playoffs

His shots good enough to do so.

Reactions: Menzinger

satoshi6ix

Apr 18, 2023
Why does Marner struggle so heavily to score goals in the playoffs?

His play making is still elite at about 60 assist pace but the goals drop off a cliff

He's had 40 goal (pace think had 35 in 2022) and then 30 goals (2023) in the reg season

His shot is good enough to score through screens and one good passes.

For some reason he dipsey doodles to much in the playoffs and doesnt utilize his shot from in tight/closer to the net or he tries to find the empty man to often missing the clear shooting play

I don't know if its still nerves, lack of shooting IQ, poor coaching/line mate strategies but he has to be more confident that he can beat a goal clean in the playoffs

His shots good enough to do so.

his shot is not good enough. his shot is good enough and the right speed to be deflected, thats about it. but his "shot" is not going in on a hot goalie like bob

soybean

May 29, 2009
Haven't been on in a minute and I'll always be blue + white, but damn it's hard to cheer for these guys.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Lol. This guy thinks regular season and playoff same thing. the delusion is real. anyone who defends marner ive realized is just a delusional idiot.

The MAN is 26 years old now and still cant get a puck off his stick without it fluttering like a butterfly. I've seen better shots in my beer league. and hes 170 pounds soaking wet, easy to dominate. what a pathetic excuse for a core player. And the fan base loves him, thats the most baffling part. This is why we'll never be the avs, the pens, the lightning, or the bruins. weak, pathetic soft 10 million $ player eating up our cap space.

Take a look at your 2023 cup champs the oilers, draistail is what a real winger looks like. And hes making 8m btw
Okay troll, why don’t you go back to you own forum with your own identity. Instead of pretending to be someone else. I do feel you though since everyone wants to be a Leafs fans.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Just a simple "I know I need to be better" looks a lot better than this.

It's pretty minor I know, but still.
Marner speaking to the media never turns out well. To be fair, Dubas and Keefe both say cringeworthy stuff all too often themselves so not really fair to expect much from Marner in this regard. Dubas is puzzling in that sense - he's supposed to be a smart cookie and all that and he was mentored by Lou who was amazing at dealing with the media so how come he's still so terrible at it?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Marner speaking to the media never turns out well. To be fair, Dubas and Keefe both say cringeworthy stuff all too often themselves so not really fair to expect much from Marner in this regard. Dubas is puzzling in that sense - he's supposed to be a smart cookie and all that and he was mentored by Lou who was amazing at dealing with the media so how come he's still so terrible at it?
Dubas is being political which he should be as GM. Keefe is really bad and MM is bad too. Like I said long ago, Leafs need a better PR coach to coach and prep them on what to say.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Dubas is being political which he should be as GM. Keefe is really bad and MM is bad too. Like I said long ago, Leafs need a better PR coach to coach and prep them on what to say.
I'm thinking back to after last season ended when Dubas said something about Keefe being a legend in the making or whatever it was, that's not political, it's just dumb.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Hes not, people just pick sides and over analyze. Like most of our team, and the league, he gives people bland token answers. When he strays, its to support the team and group hes actively managing

Enniskillen

Jan 16, 2021
Marner needs to be traded to some irrelevant team like Columbus, he will get along with losers like Laine, Gaudreau and others. Oh, Columbus kicked the leafs ass too. But that was before they joined this mighty club. And send Mathews to the desert. PLD, Krause, Wilson, man, we need guys like that. They hate to lose. And Joel Q please, he wasn’t the one abusing that poor kid.

Reactions: ToneDog

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I'm thinking back to after last season ended when Dubas said something about Keefe being a legend in the making or whatever it was, that's not political, it's just dumb.
That’s pretty political bc he is supporting Keefe and also saying he might fire him. Much better than saying Keefe is here to stay and we have faith in him, then contradicted himself by not extending him.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Fans are pissed that they are down 3-0 and he says they don't care about what they are saying. Whoever is coaching this guy on what to say to the media, is doing him a disservice.

Reactions: saffronleaf

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
When he's on his game, he's phenomenal and easily one of the best players in hockey offensively and defensively. When he's not, he's worse than useless. He creates nothing, cowers away from contact, and becomes extremely error prone. Every player has good games and bad games, but most stars find some ways to contribute in positive ways when they're not scoring. Marner simply doesn't have that ability. He also has an extremely frustrating personality and loves to say the wrong thing

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Hes not, people just pick sides and over analyze. Like most of our team, and the league, he gives people bland token answers. When he strays, its to support the team and group hes actively managing

That’s pretty political bc he is supporting Keefe and also saying he might fire him. Much better than saying Keefe is here to stay and we have faith in him, then contradicted himself by not extending him.
I just think that that comment about Keefe being a future legend was way too far over the top and it backfired, did more harm than good to Keefe as well and himself. Would have been better off to say something more like "Sheldon is doing a good job and I have full confidence in him, and I'm sure our players do as well" and just leave it at that. But saying Keefe's going to be a legend down the line when all he's done to that point is lead the team to playoff failures was just asking for it.

Fans are pissed that they are down 3-0 and he says they don't care about what they are saying. Whoever is coaching this guy on what to say to the media, is doing him a disservice.
Who knows, maybe they don't have anyone coaching him (they should), or maybe he's just un-coachable in that regard.

I was just running some errands and heard this being discussed on Overdrive and IMO Hayes nailed it. What he basically said was that Marner has never been comfortable in front of the microphone and instead of being loose, spontaneous and well spoken he just spouts some cliche. And that's really all that was, "we don't care what the media says, we're just focused on ourselves" (not sure what exact quote was) and there's really nothing wrong with that, it's just a cliche. I'm not the least bit upset about what Marner said, I'm used to the fact that he's possibly the worst NHL player I've ever seen when it comes to handling the media so no matter what the kid ever says, I just don't care and it's all one big nothing burger to me.

Now how he played the other night, that's another story, definitely upset about that. You simply can not be one of the highest paid players in the league, play like garbage in the biggest game of the year and not get shit for it.

I feel kind of bad for him, I really do. I don't think anyone wants to win in this town more than him and when he's on, he's a joy to watch. But sometimes in the playoffs, he just doesn't play like the star he's supposed to be and sometimes like that last game, he's not even close to that level. I don't know if he can't handle the pressure, or if his game's just not suited for the playoffs or there's some other reason but we're not seeing this movie for the first time and it seems like you just can't count on him in the playoffs, simple as that.

Maybe he'll turn it around, maybe they all will and they'll shock the hell our of us all and win the series. Could happen I guess, not over til it's over and FLA isn't some powerhouse so he still has a chance to change the narrative. I'll be shocked if it happens but if he does, I'll be the first to hop on his bandwagon again (being the shallow, what have you done for me lately kind of fan that I am ;)). Hard to see it happening at this point though, not after that last game. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad